A couple of things about my HD65

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by StiffCookie, Jan 24, 2008.

1. StiffCookie

StiffCookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I bought an Optoma HD65 on Tuesday because all the great reviews on it I have seen make it sound amazing...and it IS!

Just a couple of things...has anyone who owns an HD65 noticed it getting VERY hot after a few minutes? Very hot as in you can't hold your hand near the lamp ventilation fan for more than 10 seconds before it burns your fingers. Maybe it's supposed to get that hot, but I'd like to be on the safe side.

Second, I'm trying to get upscaled DVD's working on it but all I can get is 768x576 on RGB (PAL). Whenever I set the color space to ycbcr, everything goes pink. The DVD player is a Sony DAV-DZ230 and it's connected by HDMI Cable.

I think the DVD player is set up correctly, the only things I can set to do with output are:

YCbCr/RGB(HDMI) : YCbCr

and

HDMI Control : On

When I set the "YCbCr/RGB(HDMI)" option to RGB, the screen goes bright green!! even if the PJ is set to RGB too. Changing the PJ to YCbCr at this stage makes it go pink again.....ARGHHH!!! lol

The thing I can't understand is the DVD player thinks it is outputting YCbCr and the PJ thinks it's got an RGB input??? But it works fine :confused: just it's only in 768x576 (PAL).

So...
    If both are set to RGB I just get a green screen.
    If both are set to YCbCr I get a pink screen.
    "DVD: RGB" + "PJ: YCbCr" = Pink.
    "DVD: YCbCr" + "PJ: RGB" = 768x576.

I've tried switching both the DVD player and the PJ off and on while the other is on so they retry the connection but the problem remains...I've also tried flicking through the inputs on the PJ to reconnect.

HDMI is the only output on the DVD so I can't try a different type of cable (the cable is fine, I tested the continuity).

After proof reading this I have completely confused myself and have no idea what's going on so god knows what you're gonna think when you read this lol. But you guys are brainiacs, you'll know what I mean :D.

Thanks in advance,

Stiff

2. StiffCookie

StiffCookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, I've managed to get the PJ to display 720p/50hz and 1080i/50hz RGB over the HDMI cable. Will this actually be displaying upscaled HD content as I can't see much difference. Does it need to be set on YCbCr to get HD quality or will RGB format do it aswell?

3. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    You wont actually get HD "quality". All upscaling is doing is to make the picture fit the screen. You need an HD source to get HD quality. If its just an SD DVD you are using, then the picture you see will be SD regardless of the reolution of the screen.

If, however, it is an HD source (HD DVD or Blu Ray, or next gen game), then you should see the HD quality.

I hope this helps you understand at least the quality of the picture your getting.

4. StiffCookie

StiffCookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I know It wont be HD quality, what I meant was, will this be displaying an upscaled image as opposed to standard def? I was thinking maybe that it had to be in YCbCr format for it to project an upscaled image and in RGB would be standard quality.

Is it even worth trying to get it in YCbCr format, or will RGB be just as good?

5. Saldawop

Saldawop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,061
    Havent run my HD65 for too long, only really checked it out to make sure it works. Did notice it got pretty hot pretty quickly though.

6. jazzert100

jazzert100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Would agree with you about the hot vent.It is very hot after a few minutes so I guess thats normal.

7. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Your upscaled image is standard def. Its just the same standard image "stretched" to the screens reolution, i beleive anyway. Therefore, the image your seeing, is no doubt upscaled anyway. You will not see an improvement in definition quality until there is a high def source.

So, with that in mind, until you enter your hi def source to the equation, your RGB should be fine.

8. StiffCookie

StiffCookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Exactly what I wanted to know ;). Thanks.

I've got a better knowledge of video formats etc. now since playing around with settings and asking around, so I understand it now. The main point I was getting at is that my DVD (As far as I know) was giving out a YCbCr output but the projector was recieving a RGB Input (Still don't understand it). Just thought I must have been doing something wrong.

Thanks again,
    Stiff

9. krilldood

krilldood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    StiffCookie,

How did you manage to get it to play 720p in the end? It sounds like a similar problem I have got with my HD65 and Philips 5960 via hdmi. Was yours just a completely pink screen? as in not the image but everyone looking pink, but completely pink?

Please get back to me so I can try and sort this problem out, i've got another thread open regarding the matter

cheers