1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

A couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by zepfan49, Oct 11, 2005.

1. zepfan49

zepfan49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I hope someone can answer these questions, I've searched everywhere for someone asking the same.

1. I have a Freeview box with two scart sockets, one TV OUT, one VCR OUT. Are they both doing the same thing? Can you use the TV out socket to connect to a DVD recorder for instance.

2. If a freeview RGB signal is sent to a DVD recorder and the recorder is connected to a TV with component connectors, would you be able to view freeview this way?

Thanks in advance

2. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1. You would normally connect the Freeview box to the DVD recorder using the TV out connector. The VCR connector will probably not support RGB.

2. Not sure, but I suspect you would need to have the recorder switched on to do this. The scart sockets will loop through in standby for RGB. You would need to check the manual for the DVD recorder you have.

3. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
  4. zepfan49

zepfan49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Phantom & Roy.

Since I posted the questions I've scoured the Freeview instructions, you are right, the VCR OUT doesn't have the RGB pins connected.

I am still a little confused as to why it will play throught the component leads though. I have it connected now, FREEVIEW(rgb selected) scart TV OUT - PANASONIC ES10 - TV using component leads from recorder to TV.

I was under the impression that RGB signal would not travel on Component cables, is the actual signal being changed back to composite before being sent to the TV along the Component cable?

Sorry for maybe sounding thick but I'm still relatively new to this, I made a silly assumption to start with that the VCR OUT was RGB, doh. No wonder the picture through the recorder was not what I expected, through TV OUT it is really clear, no dot crawl etc.

5. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I expect the RGB signal is being processed by the recorder and sent out as Component video. Are you still able to watch freeview with the recorder in standby?

6. zepfan49

zepfan49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was no picture in standby, so your assumption looks correct to me about it converting to component.

Thanks for the input, appreciate it.