a couple of questions regarding photo's (pre and post production)

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mr jones, Nov 12, 2004.

1. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    first question - noise in pictures, how should i go about removing this, infact better than removing it, how can i avoid it in the first place, from the taking the photo's stage! i take mostly pictures in badly lit venues of bands on stage (thing inconsistant light levels, darkness, yet minimal flash useage)

second question - resizing, i need to resize all my photo's to put them on my site, are there any good batch reszing programs, windows powertoys one is pap, photoshops resizing system is good but it doesnt do batch resizing, any ideas?!

cheers folks

2. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you stick with the same camera/lens, you can't remove at source. In basic terms the poorer the light, the more noise you will get, unless you go for slower shutter speeds at which time you get blurring. A "brighter lens" would help slightly.
    How about adopting a different approach & increasing the noise / grain & shoot Black & White. This will give a more raw looking shot, which could suit your needs. I assume you are trying to catch the atmosphere in the shots rather than perfect PQ ? Would also give you photos an unique look to most others ?
    You will see a lot of proffessional photographers force the grain on pictures for this purpose.

Others can advise on what can be done in Photo packages, which I am sure can help the situation.

Cheers Dave

3. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Noise..assuming you're usiung a high ISO and a farly long exposure then noise will be a problem. You could get a better camera - one less susceptible to noise - something like a 20D or even a lesser dSLR...but i seem to remember you mentioning elsewhere that cost would be a problem. So you could try software - fred miranda has a set of actions which are quite useful for getting rid of noise or there is something called noise ninja which, from what i've read does an excellent job.

Resizing...photoshop will do it with a bit of help. If all your original photos are the same size then its a simple case of setting up an action to down-size to the required dimensions, save for web and then close. You can even create something called a droplet that you can just drop files onto to or set up a hot-key to speed things up. If your pics are varying sizes then it takes a bit more time - you need to sort them into folders and apply the appropriate action to them.

Thats all for now... got a plane to catch.

4. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    cheers guys, tomson, you mentioned a few programs, do you have any details of these.

some photos look really really good all grained up, but the majority of the shots i take i want to be crystal clear (im picky!) alot of the time i dont use flash (which i assume adds to the grian problem) as im trying to catch the effects from stage lighting/ light sprays through thin smoke and things

the kind of stuff i do is here http://www.whitewashimages.co.uk
    tips, suggestions both on the content and site would be great, thanky!

i assume by forcing a grain effect you mean like the attached picture, although i did that in photoshop

Attached Files:

5. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 options below, based on increasing contrast & decreasing brightness. Just a personal taste. Looking at your original shot the pcture is quite washed out due to lack of light.
    Before increasing grain it might be worth playing with contrast / brightness 1st to see what effect you get. I'm sure there are fancier ways to do this via PS, that others may be able to help with. (PM Nic...AKA HardboiledEgg to see what she can muster up)

Attached Files:

6. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Fred Miranda actions are available here http://www.fredmiranda.com/software/ - they cost about $20

Noise Ninja is available here http://www.picturecode.com/nn_beta.htm - there's a beta version available for free but you'll have to upgrade once that expires

I use the Fred Miranda one (ISOx Pro) now and again and get pretty good results.