A couple of questions about Sky HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Daverey2, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Daverey2

Daverey2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi all

Having had Sky+ for well over a year now and recently investing in an HD TV, I have been interested in upgrading to SkyHD and yesterday took the plunge and registered for the new offer.

Whilst I am waiting to make an appointment for an installation, I have a couple of questions that I can't find askwers to:

1 - Will I still be able to watch old recordings on my "spare" Sky+ box on another TV? I take it you need the viewing card to be able to do this? Once my card is paired to my new HD box can it still be used on the old Sky+ box as well?

2 - does the HD box come with an HDMI cable?

3 - If I have a load of recording on my old Sky+ box, how exactly do I copy these onto DVDs - is there a simple way of putting them onto an external USB harddrive and then burning them to DVD vai a PC?

Apologies if these questions have been asked before, but I can't seem to find the exact answers want.

Ta
    Dave

2. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Yes for all recordings except the premium channels. Sky Movies and Sky Sports won't play back, as the card needs pairing with the box for this to happen. So get these watched/transferred to DVD before you get Sky HD installed. Or, for Sky Movies, wait a couple of days and no doubt it will be repeated, this time in high definition.

Yes.

You need to play the recordings back on the Sky+ box, and record from the scart output to something - to DVD, to VCR, to PC TV input etc. Once you have the recordings on something other than the Sky box, it's up to you how you then transfer them to DVD. If you've used a DVD recorder in the first place, just burn to disc. If you've used videotape, connect your VCR to a DVDR using scart and transfer to disc. If you've recorded the programmes as videos on your PC, use your DVD burning software to create DVD videos and burn to disc. Simplest method is obviously to record directly to set-top DVD recorder in the first place - saves multiple transfers and loss of picture and sound quality. What you can't do is just transfer the files from the Sky+ hard drive to another hard drive using USB or TCP/IP. The programmes must be played back in real time from the Sky box - as the Sky box requires a connection to your satellite dish and the correct card being inserted in the box to be able to decode and play the recording.

3. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,927
    Quick tip - make sure you can pause live TV and see Sky1 HD before the engineer leaves, this lets you know the activation has been done correctly.

4. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,213
    Good tip, the engineer wouldnt leave mine until this had been done.

5. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Unfortunately activation can take up to four hours, and if the engineer has multiple HD installations to do and you are not the last visit of the day, he may not be able to sit around twiddling his thumbs waiting for the subscription to be activated. Our HD installer gave us his mobile number, said to give him a call if the channels weren't there within four hours. Two and a half hours later they arrived. :thumbsup:

6. newboy2008

newboy2008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    You will find that it will not be possible in some cases as activation can sometimes take a few hours mate.

7. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,213
    Ahhh ok, Cheers

8. newboy2008

newboy2008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    My install was booked for a Saturday morning.The Sky installer phoned friday about 6.30pm.I asked him if he fancied doing it that night instead(explained only a sky+ to Hd upgrade so no external work needed.He was more than happy to do it that night.He arrived around 7.30 and did the swap in about 15 mins.Luckly for me the Hd channel pack came through in about 10 mins.I dont know if the pairing system gets busy at certain times,but obviously 7.45 on a Friday night was not a peak time.:thumbsup: