1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of NTL questions

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by crazymatt, Feb 22, 2003.

1. crazymatt

crazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had the NTL package installed and have a few questions someone might be able to help with

1. anyone know how to get into any kind of setup menu?
    ( I have a box with NO model number on it whatsoever so can't post that for help!, all I can say is it's only just been installed, so must be new)

2. The remote codes seem to be foxing my Pronto completely..are they out of range of the Pronto remote eye?

2. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There are issues with the ntl boxes and pronto using a different coding. There is a very long thread here.
    http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-pronto/thread.cgi?2970

As far as setup menu it depends on what you are trying to do. Apart from the audio and display menus. I am not sure how to get into the units service menus.

Do you not have a model number on the bottom?

Ken

3. crazymatt

crazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help Ken...I've got the setup menu now!

4. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i had the same problem with the freequency being out of the range of the learning remotes the companies only get a certain bandwidth and the remotes range is out of this and so doesnt work
    hope that helps!

5. crazymatt

crazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it sorted now...I can just buy a "red eye" to convert them

6. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    where from and how much because i had a video sender and wanted to send it that way but the remote wouldnt work do you no how i can overcome this

7. crazymatt

crazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just do a search for red eye

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    For those who haven't yet bought a pronto, the 1for all kameleon works with Pace NTL

9. crazymatt

crazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, pity it's crap though!

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well yes, that is a drawback. Does the redeye work well?

11. crazymatt

crazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's shipping next week, but according to the inventor..it's flawless, with only milliseconds delay

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    All inventors claim that. A report would benefit all, if we could be so bold as ask......

13. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you know how to get the service menu up for the pace 4000 and adjust the volume? thanks for any help.

14. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    presss and hold down the up and down buttons on the front of the STB togther and then turn the STB on...

JJ

15. crazymatt

crazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Redeye arrived today, very neat

..and quick seeing as I only ordered it yesterday!

Will post findings soon...but looks to be an excellent buy.

16. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set up the my red eye yesterday evening.

Took about 2 mins, everything works perfectly, no interference from other remotes, and the reciever is sensetive enough for it to be sat inside a glass fronted cabinet.

Just for completeness, I even tried the teach mode, which although a bit lengthy, once you get started is a breeze and again works perfectly, so even if you don't have a pronto or one of their listed remotes, teaching a new remote is a doddle.

I've stuck mine to the box front with blue-tak for now, just to make sure it was positioned OK (4000 STB, far left of the "window"), and haven't bothered refixing it with the sticky pad yet.

Initially I though £28 was a bit steep, but it's a neat well built product, that does exactly what it say it does, and resolves probably my biggest niggle with my setup (Other than wanting a Plasma :D ). I'm very impressed with it so far, and it's well worth what it cost me.

17. crazymatt

crazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here are my findings.

I use the Redeye with my Pronto, I downloaded the RC6 codes from the Redeye site to save me teaching the Pronto by hand.

Installation:
    You just plug the Minijack cable connected to the redeye into the IR blaster output on the rear of your cable box (all this is for is to provide the power the Redeye needs to function)
    Then attach the redeye to the IRDA reciever (on your cable box) by means of the half-affixed douple sided foam tape.
    Thats it!

Use:
    After nicking all the RC6 codes from the CCF file on the Redeye website and integrating them into my own custom CCF I sat down to try and confuse it!

I have to say that EVERY code works perfectly, even the "i" that a lot of remotes had trouble with.

One point of note is; the CCF file on the Redeye website has a lot of channels pre-setup for you to use, I'd junk these and enter your own codes via Prontoedit as a lot of spurious delays have been added. Also you might like to ad an alias to the 'ok' button after every channel selection to speed channek surfing up somewhat.

My setup:
    I have the 1000 model box and a 2mb Pronto

It now seems that the redeye has been tested on the 4000 and 1000 with good results.
    At £28 I think it's a small price to pay for regaining the integrated bliss of just one full-system remote.
    And seeing as the chap designed, marketed and builds the things himself..I think he could even charge more.

18. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re. the 'spurious' delays in the CCF files - I extended the delays form the files that Jason Broad gave me, as I was a little worried that the 100ms originally specified could have been marginal - I don't have a Pronto to check the actual timings, so I don't know how accurate the entered delays are, and whether the delay is from the start or the end of one command to the start of the next. There is also a secondary issue which affects the timing when sending two identical commands back-to-back (e.g. '55'), so I put 200ms to be safe. If you find it works, by all means reduce it, but be aware that the minimum delay for 'same' and 'different' consecutive codes is different (smae codes need more delay, to distinguish from a held-down key). If you are having problems you can discriminate between Red-Eye and Pace problems by the fact that the LED on Red-Eye flashes when it receives and forwards a command successfully.

19. crazymatt

crazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, thanks for the Input Mike.
    The product has made many a cable user much happier!

20. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you find that changing the delay back to 100ms works reliably, (including for double-digits), please let me know & I'll change them back in the download CCF

21. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

I have a ccf with the "learned" codes in for use with pdawin's Pocket Remote software for the iPaq, as I've been tinkering with learn mode. Since the TV Remote software can't use RC6 codes, and I wanted to try out the learn function as well this was an idela mini test, know it's done I'm happy to share it out.

If you want a copy of it (or just the IR Alias tab which is the key one) Let me know where to send it.

And thanks, this has made my system nice and simple again.

22. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Email any contributions to info@redremote.co.uk, with any notes that people might find useful (what it does/doen't work with etc. )
    Thanks!

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Mike, just ordered mine, I'm going to give it a try with pronto lite for Palm, I'm a glutton for punishment.

24. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok im looking to use this with a video sender so if i put the redeye on the front of the box will the old remote still work as well as signals sent back from my pronto or will it get confused with the redeye on it whilst using the old ntl remote?

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Mine came this AM, taking it to work to teach my palm and a pronto, excellent service!!

26. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - this will work fine. Red-Eye will ignore the IRDA remote.

27. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    P.S. my reply above assumes you were talking about the NTL IRDA remote, not the Blue RC5 remote - the latter will not work properly due to the buffering issues when the STB sees IRDA and RC5