A couple of newbie questions!!!!

darryl3972

Hi all,

As you will see this is my first post so be gentle please,
I had HD fitted yesterday very pleased in general but a couple of problems.
I have it routed thro my onkyo receiver via HDMI because my tv only has 1 hdmi in.
when i switch from an sd channel to a hd channel i get a nasty click come from my speakers (wharfedale 9.0's and onkyo sub 2.1) is this normal.
Also is it correct that a couple of channels sk1HD in perticular only shows the simpsons futurama etc in 4:3 ratio cause i cant get my tv to stretch it at all.
And finally last night while watching sky prem HD (Awake, weird film) it kept breaking up with white noise etc, perfect signal when checked. Is this common.

Thanks

Darryl

StevieBuck

I don't have that problem when switching between channels, but I don't have the HDMI connection going through the amp - just an optical cable for audio.

Yes, borders are added to the left & right side of the image to prevent you from watching the programme with the incorrect aspect ratio. Your TV will probably be fixed on "wide" mode when inputting an HD signal/resolution. If you are desparate to get the image to fill the screen, change the video output resolution on the Sky box to 576i - then your TV should allow you to change the viewing format.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
First, I have an Onkyo 606 with my Sky+HD and Panasonic plasma.
The only time I have had a click on channel change is when a couple of channels weren't being broadcast correctly. There is a short dip in audio after chaning channel because I have the picture resolution set to automatic so the HDMI output changes when the resoluttion changes. See if this still happens on two channels with the same resolution.
HDMI transmits the aspect ratio of the picture so the TV follows this. On the new EPG wich you have this cannot be overriden [I stand to be corrected but can't find the opption].
The last one about picture breakup, I've never had that but I have an old Thomson box which suits me fine.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I don't have that problem when switching between channels, but I don't have the HDMI connection going through the amp - just an optical cable for audio.

Yes, borders are added to the left & right side of the image to prevent you from watching the programme with the incorrect aspect ratio. Your TV will probably be fixed on "wide" mode when inputting an HD signal/resolution. If you are desparate to get the image to fill the screen, change the video output resolution on the Sky box to 576i - then your TV should allow you to change the viewing format.

Yes but what happens about HD channels?

HDCriticalFan

I was talking about HD channels - I've never seen these borders added to a fullscreen (4:3) programme on a non-HD channel.

By an amazing coincidence I have just finished watching "The Wire" on BBC2. It was made in 4:3.

The final episode of season 2 was "pillarboxed" on 102. None of the previous 20-odd were though :confused:

But I agree, this is very unusual.

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom