1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of new kid questions...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by devs, Dec 10, 2004.

1. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm about to buy a Sony HS50 - Could anyone with purchasing knowledge let me know when and if these projectors begin to drop in price? After Christmas, when upgraded, never..?

Also I'm wanting to buy a 10ft wide screen electric screen. There seems to be a major price jump up to the 10ft size is there any tips or suppliers I should be considering when making this purchase?

Cheers,

dEVS! ;)

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The HS50 is brand new to market, and demand for it is high at the moment so I can't really comment on when the price will drop - it's being very agressively priced at the moment, although not all dealers have stock. If you're asking about resale value - take a look in the Hardware for Sale forum and you'll see that projectors lose about half their value in the first year of ownership, depending on condition, usage and desireability of the model. After that, it's anybodys guess.

It's a matter for yourself to decide, but I would have thought a ten foot screen is far too big for a HS50, or practically any other projector for that matter..... Why so big ? You'll lose light output and picture quality, and you'd need to be sitting between 15 and 20ft away from the screen...... Imo 8ft wide is the limit, 7 - 7.5ft wide is optimal, but it's your own choice.

S.

3. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi there mate and many thanks for the reply! I knew it would be a tuff question to answer regarding the cost. Losing about half their value in the first year was all I wanted to know.

The reason for the 10ft screen is because of the layout of my house and the positioning of the windows, see this image…

[​IMG]

A screen this size would black out the two large windows. My seating will be 18ft away from the screen so I thought that I would be okay? I’ve checked on projector screen size calculator and it appears okay? Please cast your eye over my calculations http://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...2054&fix_sv=0&ar_sv=16&pd_sv=17.1136555392659 as I wasn’t 100% sure what the Diagonal Range slider was for? I’d be very interested to hear if what I intend on doing is not possible or would look rubbish before I go and buy an expensive projector that I’m unable to use to its potential.

Many Thanks,

Devs. :smashin:

4. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Devs,

At this size you will lose all of the benefits of this projector IMHO. At that size you'll have about 140" diagonal :eek: , which whilst the pj will happily produce an image that big, I would suggest that unless you have 100% light control in your room then you'll get a better image by getting a smaller screen, and using either blackout curtains or something else over your windows (which you may want to do anyway if you want to use your pj in the daytime for example).

Most folks over at AVS who have seen this are suggesting no more than 100" - if I were you I'd look at say 92" diagonal, and you may also want to look at a screen with some gain - the screens forum would be a better place to place a post on this, and people with better knowledge of these things than me can advise on what sort to get.

Just my 2p :)

5. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hey again juniper (are you stalking me?) ;) Thanks for the info mate!

The only time I will get to use the projector will be in the evenings therefore I will have 100% control of the lighting won't I? As it stands these two windows that I've shown on my dodgy diagram have blinds right up against the window then the windowsill recess in towards the window. Not being vain but black out curtains would not look good (plus the other half would kill me)

I'm I being totally stupid in thinking that I may be able to get a 10ft wide electric screen and only project onto say 8 or 9 ft of it?

Many thanks again guys for all the help - it much appreciated!

dEVS!

6. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    When I was buying my screen recently, I dont remember seeing any that had black edges that reuced a 10ft screen down to 8ft.

You might just want to put a huge blackout blind (the same colour as the walls) behind an 8ft screen. I did this, as my screen is in front of huge patio doors, and the black out blind esentially makes the room look like it has a wall instead of windows. Then you drop a regular 8ft screen in front of it.

You really should try and project your image up to the edges of the screen if you can.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Mark

7. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    If you bought a 10ft screen, you could always mask out the extra size you don't need with some black spray paint to give you a nice large black border. Get some masking tape, some paper and cover the image area. then spray the exposed area with a matt black spray from Halfords or somewhere similar, peel off the masking tape/paper and hey presto, a nice black bordered screen. Make sure you get the 16:9 ratio correct though ( eg. a 90inch wide screen would have a drop of 50.6inches)
    The added bonus of a large black border is that it will make the projected image appear much brighter.

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The business of spraying on a pre-made screen has been discussed here before (ages ago though..) and the consensus was against it. You have no idea how spray paint would react with the surface of a pre-made screen, and then there's the issue of whether the paint would withstand the screen being rolled up etc. Not to be attempted, I think.

If you have light control from blinds over the windows, then you aren't going to see them when you're projecting an image on a screen. As I've said, it's a matter for yourself, but I wouldn't be deciding the size of the screen based on interior decor factors. The fact that the projector can throw a 10ft wide image is notthe issue - the quality of an image that size is the issue........

S.

9. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Well TheRitz, you are talking from a theoretical perspective, whereas I have actually used this method to add a black border to a borderless screen with no negative side effects whatsoever. The paint adheres to the surface fine and because it is sprayed on it does not cause any problems when rolled up.
    This does not affect the image quality as the image is not being displayed on the black borders.

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Which goes to show that there's nothing like the voice of experience....... :hiya:

S.

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think anyone has considered the cost of a 10' electric screen. 10' electric screens are usually priced in multiples of equalivent 7' or 8' models :eek: .

Don't think I'd be painting any borders on one ;) .

:smoke:

12. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Neither would I ! I'm sure it would be cheaper to buy a smaller screen and use blackout blinds on the window. Blackout blinds do NOT have to be black on the side viewed from the inside nor the other side come to that, they purely have to be completely opaque and not allow any light to pass through them. The black can be sandwiched between two colours of your choice.
    I was mearly trying to offer a solution to devs specific request. If he's adamant that a 10foot wide screen is all he wants, then I was offering a way in which he could achieve his requirements. Black masking tape could also do the trick and is less permanent, but doesn't look as good.

13. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I had my black out blinds made to match the colour of my wall on one side, and white on the other. I then had them reverse roll the material so that when it was rolled up, the correct colour was visible on the roll itself, if you get what i mean
    :confused:

14. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi people and many thanks for all the help! I think I'm going to get the HS50 first and get the screen after Christmas... Giving me more time to puzzle things out...

Just another question, I have a Jamo DVR50 what would be the best way to hook these two up? Leads etc to enable the best quality picture?

HS50 Spec...
    Video Input
    VIDEO: phono type
    Composite video - 1
    S Video - 1
    Y/Pb/Cb/Pr/Cr
    Component: phono type
    G with Sync/Y
    B/Cb/Pb
    R/Cr/Pr
    HDMI
    Digital RGB/Y/Cb(Pb)Cr(Pr)
    Input A
    HD D-sub 15 Pins
    Analog RGB/Component
    R/CR(PR)
    G
    G with Sync/Y
    B/Cb (Pb)
    SYNC/HD: Composite sync

Many thanks!

15. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I think the Jamo DVR50 has prog scan component output which would be the best connection available. Try sending the signal from the DVD player interlaced as well as progressive as the Sony may have better video processing than the Jamo and you may find the picture is better letting the Sony do the progressive scanning.