1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of issues with my PWD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TeresaTT, Oct 20, 2004.

1. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've had my PWD6 for a couple of weeks now and I love it but a couple of annoying issues have cropped up.

First I can hear the dreaded power supply buzz from the other side of the room where I sit. It''s not very loud and can only be heard in the quieter parts of programmes. I can put up with it at its current level, but is it likely to get worse with time? Should I expect a much quieter buzz?

The other issue is the IR interference. It mostly seems to affect the TiVo remote and is extremely annoying when fast forwarding through adverts as the play button misses and we end up half way through the next part. This is something that we do often while watching TV, so is very annoying. Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce the interference? You can see my set up here:
    http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1228146&postcount=1260

Thanks

Teresa

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have a PW7. I have to put my ear to the back of the panel to be able to hear the buzz.

Audible buzz from accross the room would be unacceptable to me - so I'd say it's worth a call to your retailer to see if they'd do something about it.

ZedZed

3. sl8ed

sl8ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PWD6 and I can't haven't noticed any power supply buzz at all.

4. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yep my PWD6 is incredibly quiet - I have to go right up to the back of it to hear anything at all!

5. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the replies. I've called my retailer and he's coming out tomorrow to have a listen.

Does anyone have any tips about the remote control interference?

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well all three of my panny's buzzed...I had two 50" and one 42" and could easily hear all of them from over 4m away during dialogue.

My previous Pioneer 433HDE also buzzed like mad but used to change pitch/intensity depending on the brightness of the displayed image which drove me nuts and was one of the reasons I returned it.

In my opinion all plasma screens buzz...it's just how they work...but some people are far more susceptable to it than others. For example I hate cheap dimmer switches as I can hear them buzz also.

Certain retailers even make a point of saying that plasma screens are not quiet...such as Ivojo.

I never had any problems with IR interference though.

Cheers, Lee

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    All plasma emit IR radiation tho it tends to be high frequecncy near IrDa can play havoc with B&O kit............. sounds like it is with Tivo........ Try putting some card between Tivo and VCR?? and beneath it ssee if that helps

8. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    TeresaTT, It's strange that you have problems with your remote on your TiVo as mine still works no problem however my Amp won't accept a signal from three different remote controls whilst the Panny is on. Have you tried HornyDragons suggestion of placing a piece of card on top of it to try and block out any IR?

9. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've pushed TiVo back a bit underneath my VCR and my remote works much better from where I sit directly opposite the screen. However, the remote still works very poorly from where my husband sits at an angle to the screen. Putting a peice of card on top of the video didn't work. I'm going to have to try something else. The problem occurs with both my Pronto and the original TiVo one.

10. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    We've found the cause of our TiVo remote interference. It was nothing to do with the position of the TiVo. It was actually caused by our Digisender. We had the sender box directly behind the PWD6, on the stand. We got a picture on the TV upstairs but the remote wouldn't work. Once we moved the sender away from the plasma onto the back of the shelf below, everything worked. It seems that the sender was picking up interference from the back of the plasma and continuously transmitting IR from its emitter. TiVo will not accept any IR codes if there are others being transmitted at the same time.

Well, it's a relief to have that sorted now. We can point our Pronto at the ceiling and still have full control of everything.

11. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i spoke to soon - my PW7 has now started to buzz in the same way yours does - I think I jinxed it by saying it was quiet!

ZedZed