A couple basic questions

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Eleggua, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Eleggua

Eleggua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I understand that transferring a DV tape to a HDD is done only in real time and takes about 13 gigs of space.

How do people store the video they shoot? Do they just leave it on the DV tape?

What is the best way to transfer it to HDD? Via the camera you shot it with? Is there another way such as a DV reader (don't know if there is such a thing).

Is it also possible to shoot video and have it connected to the computer during the shoot so it is stored there directly?

If that is possible, can one hook up the camera and "download" the video onto a DV tape to remove it from the computer? Or what would be the best way to do that?

Thanks for your help. I'll get up to speed yet. :)

Kenrick

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Personally I keep original footage on DV tape.

Most will use their DV camera, professionals who do a alot of transferring will have a deck to do it.

Not very practical, look at after market items like this

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/quickstreamDV/

http://www.mcetech.com/quickstreamdv.html

Provided your camera has "DV in" you can capture back to tape from computer. Not all DV camcorders have "DV In" in the UK because it is then classed as a video recorder & extra tax is due.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep I always keep ALL my original tapes - then send the final edited video back to a blank tape in the camera and keep that - then clear your PC.

You should note that although there are some DV decks around they are in fact considerably more exspensive than a video camera - so most of us use our camcorders.

With the right software it is quite possible to record live video direct to your PC but note that there is a maximum permitted firewire cable length which means you need the PC to be pretty close to the camera - which means it's impractical to go far with it.

You should also note that as you say one hour of video will need about 13Gb of HDD but you will need about the same amount again for editing when you start adding music, titles etc.