A complete surround n00b.

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by m1stergeorge, Aug 6, 2012.

1. m1stergeorge

m1stergeorge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Hello all,

I thought I would get some guidance on something that I essentially have no idea about.

I'd like to get some sort of surround system however I have an issue in that running speaker cable around the room is not really achievable due to inaccessibility and what the sheer length would ultimately be (15m plus due to open plan kitchen/living room). Over and above this, I do not know if a 'wireless' solution exists. Is this what Soundbars are used for?

As well as that, do I need an AV receiver? I have a number of sources, TiVo, XBox360, Apple TV and BluRay. I'd pitch this as a 'beginner' system as I am not an audiophile thus am not looking to spend that much money. I'd budget perhaps around £350-450, £500 max. I dont mind buying second hand through the forums either.

Any help is appreciated :)

2. lucky247

lucky247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I believe wireless solutions do exist, however I believe the speakers are not truly wireless as they will still need power. i.e. a power outlet and cable to each.

Soundbars sit underneath television sets and as far as I see it are simply a direct replacement to poor quality built in tv speakers. (a 50" plasma for example has a beautiful screen, however the built in speakers are usually rubbish. I think you’re sort of expected to have some other speaker set up if you own that sort of screen. Although for the money you would expect decent speakers built in!)

I would recommend an AV receiver as you have quite a few inputs. You can then have Xbox etc in surround sound. The other option, usually poorer quality is normally a 5.1 DVD surround package. You can usually get one from the manufacturer of you tv. It will simply be a DVD/bluray player with a 5.1 set attached. I don't believe these sets will allow other inputs. i.e Xbox.

As you say, with your £500 max budget I would buy 2nd hand, ex display, nearly new etc.

3. andyc11

andyc11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It really all depends on how much you want surround sound. Not seen any wireless systems for a long time (can only remember a Panasonic all in one system and even that only had wireless rear speakers). With the number of devices you have, you do need an AV Receiver rather than an all in one system (the kind you see in Argos and the like) - all can be input via hdmi and then hdmi out to tv. The real issue you seem to have is the speaker cabling. I hate wires. Detest them in fact. But had to accept the fact that if I wanted good quality surround sound, it's the only way to go. I have quite a large living room (5m X 5m) and bought an AV Receiver for £300 and a 5.1 speaker set for £270 (purchased new so your budget is similar if you go second hand). Didn't see the point scrimping on speaker cable so got 30m at £2 a metre. The real challenge was hiding it.

Quite simply, I spent a long time running it under my carpets and tacking it down so as not to get caught in carpet runners. The speakers are on stands where the cable runs up them so unless you look very closely, you won't see no wires in my house! My old house had wooden floors, so I hid them under the floor edging before putting it in. Others on here invest a great deal of time and money channeling wires into walls whilst undertaking DIY or home cinema rooms. As I say, it really depends how much you want surround sound. It's worth the effort in the long run - you'll wonder how you did without it for so long once you watch a movie in 5.1. Hope that helps a bit, happy to give you some more info on my set up, how I did it etc.

Andy

4. m1stergeorge

m1stergeorge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Thanks for the help guys. As mentioned above, the problem I have is cabling. My (rented) house has laminate all over the house so hiding under carpet isn't an option unfortunately. This tied into the fact that due to the (only available) layout of the room, speakers would need to be placed into the furthest corners of the floorplan.

I guess I just want something to improve upon the already existing built-in speakers that my Samsung TV has.

5. bluesguy

bluesguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy John Lewis Sound Booster with Bluetooth online at JohnLewis.com

Seems nice and compact and also includes bluetooth streaming from your phone to its self contained speakers... Includes several inputs