A complete seperates system for £600

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by deep1986, Jan 10, 2008.

1. deep1986

deep1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys im pretty much a n00b when it comes to decent home audio equipment. I have a set of Shure SE310's for my ipod which do an amazing job, but at home i have a silly gay all in one crap thing.

i have £500 from xmas i can spend but would like to spend around 300-400 if possible.

I listen to a lot of different music, Darius, Michael Jackson, Fatboy Slim, Daft Punk, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Sum 41, Massive Attack. I mainly listen to Muse at the moment.

I would like a set of bookshelf speakers, an amp, a cd player, i am thinking of a vinyl player even though i have only 5 vinyls [​IMG].

I'm not sure if this sort of thing has been invented yet, if not it should be! A unit with a hard drive! my music is ripped at 192 and 320 (depending on artist) so i would like to be able to play those.

i have a laptop an Acer 5670 laptop, would i have to connect it to that to listen to all my digital media? or is there an external unit that i can put all my music on to!?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Deep

2. thenicklouse

thenicklouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    well you have the right type of budget for a fair starter set up IF you forget the turntable for now.

you could look at the Cambridge Audio "group" azur 340C and 340C with the CA S30 speakers BUT it may not give the strength of sound you want.

personally i would look at an amp and CDP from NAD they have a great house sound that will also work well with your listed "bands"

eg C320BBE amp with a C515BEE CDP would be less that 300 from say super fi then you have about 250 for speakers... B&W 686 are a touch over BUT if you buy from the smae place at the same time it may be discount time.

But again use your ears and have a listen.

3. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I am in same boat with near identical budget. Here is what I am considering :-

Richer Sounds System 3 £499
    http://www.richersounds.com/information.php?cda=static&cst=hifisystems

Also loking at NAD stuff, but struggling to find somewhere to have a demo...
    NAD 325bee £199
    NAD 525bee £159
    Q Acoustics 1020 £120
    Total £478 (prices quoted from www.weymouthhifi.co.uk who I have used before)

Various options with Onkyo CS-715 and Denon D-F102 (prices around £450-£500) from www.creative-audio.co.uk 'hot stereo deals').

Whilst the Onkyo and Denon are ' all-in-ones' they are both well regarded and have had good reviews and include DAB tuners. With the first two I would be using internet radio which would not be ideal.

Also, looking to hook my new set-up to the PC using a Squeezebox 3 or Squeezebox Duet streaming device.

HTH,

Simon. :thumbsup:

4. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    As for your music I would look to rerip at least the 192 bitrate files to a lossless format (eg. Flac, Apple Lossless etc) as otherwise the music quality when played through your new system would be greatly compromised (crap in / crap out, and all that). Conversion of the lossless files to an mp3 or similar format for use on portable audio player / ipod etc is a painless exercise.

If you have sufficient HDD space on the laptop I wouldn't worry too much about external drives as they will only eat in to your budget. You can obviously get external hard drives and NAS (networked attached drives which can operate independantly of the PC) if you need more space.

You will then need some means of getting the music from the laptop to the the new hifi; as I see it you have several options :-

(i) Direct link from speaker out of the laptop to the analogue inputs on the amp (will need a 3.5mm stereo jack to twin phono lead). Very cheap option (only need the lead which is £10/£20) but rubbish sound quality - I can testify to this as it's what I cuurently do with my pc.

(ii) If your laptop has digital audio output then you could connect this directly to the Onkyo as this is a digital amp with digital input and the Onkyo's DAC would then do the digi-analogue conversion for you. The others would need an external DAC thus adding to the expense. If your laptop doesn't have an optical out you can get external soundcards which do.

(iii) Use a wireless connection method - much neater and flexible. Squeezebox 3 is a good bet and I have used in the past - PCW for £180. This would also give you by far the best sound quality if you convert your lossy files to lossless. There are other options from Netgear and Roku/Pinnacle but I think you will find the Squeezebox is the best regarded. They have also recently released a Squeezebox Duet model (a la Sonos)

Other options include Airport Express and Onkyo USB wireless networking gizmo (can't recall its name).

To summarise my way of thinking ...

Going over budget but best for sound quality ...
    Either of the Richers/NAD systems plus Squeezebox 3 approx. £680.

Within budget, slightly lower sound quality but still very good with tuner ...
    From Creative Audio - Onkyo CS-715, QA 1010i and Squeezebox 3 approx. £590.

NB: You will also need to budget for decent interconnects and speaker cable (allow 10%).

5. Guyzor

Guyzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you choose to go down the Onkyo 715 route then The Home Cinema Centre are bundling it with free Tannoy F1 Customs at the moment. I'm waiting on delivery for a set myself to partner with my Squeezebox. Obviously can't comment on sound quality yet but the deal is a steal and well in line with the budget you wanted to keep to.

6. L4dva

L4dva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I just got a pair of KEF IQ3's with my 715. total cost 530 pounds! Still running them in, but sound is fantastic. Im sure i seperate system will give u a lot more out of theses speakers but due to lack space etc the onkyo is doing a very satisfying job of it at the moment. no need for interconects with the onkyo, just a good set of speaker cables. If u get the sqeezebox ull need a interconect of some sort. Plus u got the DAB not sure if thats somit ud use much?

7. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Good first post, have just ordered this package myself, thanks.

8. Guyzor

Guyzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers!

I learned of the deal in another forum so I can't claim all the credit. I'm scaling down from separates due to space but I'm hoping it won't be too much of a compromise. There's a 10 year technology gap between the old and new systems which I presume will help.

9. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Wouldn't you know it, just placed the order and had an email back saying they are awaiting stock from Onkyo?

Update: Have spoken to the shop and cancelled the Onkyo/F1 order and placed a new order for a NAD C525bee CD player and NAD C325bee Amplifier for £330 - bargain!

To OP, sorry to hijack thread with other matters, but hopefully you have some good information in the original posts.

10. deep1986

deep1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

no worries, the other posts have also given me a small insight!

thanks to all the people who responded. im gonna go to sevenoaks and a couple of other places and test out the systems

11. thenicklouse

thenicklouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I think you have made the right choice. HiFi over a toy.

12. nu_groove

nu_groove
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there,

If you are after a NAD system, I can probably help out!

I've got a C350 currently listed for £135 in the classifieds section which is a very good amp.

MOD COMMENT....please place any other items for sale in the classifieds.