1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A colored creen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by buns, Dec 28, 2003.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As the title...... i have a projector which is low on red..... so to boost it i could add red lighting (but this will boost black level which is bad), add a filter or paint my screen a shade of red..... anyone ever done this?

ad

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not recently, no :D

Filter is your best bet IMO. Either than or get a better PJ :p

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    watch it you...... you have a filter on yours too :p :D

I agree the filter is the easiest bet...... just wondered if anyone had ever done this..... for instance it would be alot easier to customise..... it wouldnt be overly hard to make yourself a shade which would compensate almost fully. In comparison, so far the filters seem a little bit of a compromise..... in other words i cant get myself a 5 parts red, 2 parts yellow filter like i actually want.

Kramer..... how far wrong is the hs10 without the filter? I am 30% down on red and 15% up on blue..... to bring the red up by 30 % (or to be correct, bring down green and blue by 30%), what filter? cc30r? the number seems to relate vaguely to the absorption, but ive looked at the plots and the relation isnt strict. So i just wondered what filter you use and how much it actually shifts things in practice?

thanks!

ad

4. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buns, from this thread and others, I can see that you are having the same problems with your new Z2 as you did with your old one. Since, correct me if I am wrong, I haven’t seen anyone else having the same problems on this scale and because this is the second Z2 you have had on which red drops off at high ire – I again wondered about your source i.e. whether it was more to do with the feed than the Z2?

I can’t help thinking of that German graph which showed no red drop off……shame you can’t get hold of a dvd player with component out to see how it compares to your htpc or even a different htpc set-up for comparison. Think I would be tempted to buy a cheap dvd player just to see what difference it made to the red side of things……

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quartermass,

Actually, there are distinct differences :D This Z2 is working just fine..... in fact in certain respects it really is fantastic, in others it is average (but no worse than its rivals). The problem with the first was that it was non responsive to my changes...... changing a given setting didnt do what it should have.

The german graph doesnt show drop of..... in fact nor does mine anymore! Mine is very similar now to the german chart. BUT this is with compromise on white and black levels..... this however seems to simply be inevitable result of this sort of implementation. So i am accepting it and just working out my best way to live with it. Hence my attempts to be able to use an alternative means to circumvent..... filter for instance..... so i can keep my gains nice and high so maximise the contrast ratio.

Dont forget that there are a great many machines out there which are best used with filters..... of much higher quality than the Z2.

Oh and my results have been looked over by other having calibrated Z2's (and with infinitely greater knowledge) and most seem to say that my findings are fairly typical.

ad

6. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, ok - I have got the right end of the stick now! :) Increase red to give more room for manoeuvre with other parameters – makes sense! Anyway, glad to hear unit #2 is an improvement. Yeah, the Z2 is capable of great things but not necessarily all at the same time :) Guess it would be £5000 not £1200 if it could keep all the balls in the air at once (still think we were on to a good thing with that Ivojo deal though!).

Be interesting to see how you get on with filters – could be the start of a trend!

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We definitely did get a good deal..... can anyone else name a competitor at that price? I cant think of one.....

I think i will go for a cc40r from srb (i think thats them)...... but what brand and what type i dont know...... so hopefully someone will tell me else i will take longer to do it! :D

ad