A Clockwork Orange 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

I watched it on Friday, and opted for the lossy mono track.

The Missus had never seen it before, and had no problems absorbing Nadsat even with the lossy mix.

Is the audio on the 1080p blu ray any better than the track on the UHD disc?
Not sure about any recent reissues, but the 5.1 on the UHD is a step down from the original blu-ray track. That was no masterpiece, but the LPCM 5.1 mix presented the soundtrack with a decent amount of clarity and had a mellow quality to its tone.

In stark contrast is the 4K 5.1 soundtrack, which is a horrible, screeching, brittle mess. Just stick with the lossy mono option, as the visuals are superb, and probably the best they will ever look.

Give us Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut.

Barry Lyndon could look phenomenal in 4K. Shot mostly with natural light we might really see into the shadows. Eyes Wide Shut could look exquisite, too.

Give us Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut.

Barry Lyndon could look phenomenal in 4K. Shot mostly with natural light we might really see into the shadows. Eyes Wide Shut could look exquisite, too.
Agreed! The Criterion edition of Barry Lyndon is sourced from a 4K remaster, so hopefully Warner Bros. will release that out soon. I know Eyes Wide Shut doesn't get a ton of love on these forums, but I find it fascinating and have went from being 'meh' on it twenty years ago to it being one of my favourite of Kubrick's films.

Last edited:
Can't wait to watch this, mine arrived yesterday but the interior was damaged so waiting for replacement to arrive from Amazon.

I'll be watching this tonight, can't wait... an all time favourite.
As noted, not an easy watch at times, but superb film-making.

The only film to make me cry a little and for all the wrong reasons

Agreed! The Criterion edition of Barry Lyndon is sourced from a 4K remaster, so hopefully Warner Bros. will release that out soon. I know Eyes Wide Shut doesn't get a ton of love on these forums, but I find it fascinating and have went from being 'meh' on it twenty years ago to it being one of my favourite of Kubrick 's films.

I love Eyes Wide Shut (I'm a surrealist at heart) and feel it's at least somewhat misunderstood.

The source material should give be a giveaway (Traumnovelle, i.e. dream story), along with the period of its publication.

Agreed! The Criterion edition of Barry Lyndon is sourced from a 4K remaster, so hopefully Warner Bros. will release that out soon. I know Eyes Wide Shut doesn't get a ton of love on these forums, but I find it fascinating and have went from being 'meh' on it twenty years ago to it being one of my favourite of Kubrick 's films.
Yep Id instantly buy both of those on 4K disc - Im much more interested in those two compared to FMJ or ACO.

Eyes Wide Shut was a film I stupidly ignored for years thinking it was some kind of relationship drama...needless to say I loved it on first watch! Badly needs a 4K remaster as the Blu is borderline DVD level.

I watched it last night and wow, the picture quality is incredible. Really clean without any signs of artificial sharpening or anything like that, good but subtle use of HDR too.

I watched it with the 5.1 audio track and didn't think it was that bad. The only bit that struck me as harsh and "gritty sounding" was Mr. Deltoid's dialogue. No idea why it was so bad on him, maybe he has a very sibilant voice.

Don't be put off by the reports of a harsh sound, give it a few minutes with the 5.1 track and decide for yourself.

my beef is that it shouldn't be twisted to a single "that did she enjoy it or not" reference without mentioning it is rape - violence to women, carried out by a man

my beef is that it shouldn't be twisted to a single "that did she enjoy it or not" reference without mentioning it is rape - violence to women, carried out by a man

So rape doesn't happen if it isn't depicted on film or in literature and how would editing the film prevent rape from occurring in reality? I do not think anyone who saw the film when it was originally released disputed the fact that the woman had been raped and I doubt that anyone watching it now would do so unless they've an ulterior motive?

The shocking thing about this film is the fact that most of what was depicted then is rather tame when compared to what actually happens in reality now.

Not depicting violence doesn't stop violence from occurring. Most rapists will have never seen or read A Clockwork Orange. Which film was Jack the ripper influenced by?

Anyone being incited to rape or cause violence to anyone by this film had a problem well in advance of ever seeing it.

Last edited:
it's previously been cited as a major influence by men that have been convicted for committing rape, yes they had a problem, but that is the whole point.

i'm just saying that the phrasing of the single line comment to not say it was controversial because there was an extended rape scene, but to remove that is part of the problem in putting the onus on women, rather than educating male behaviour, which we should be focussing on

it's previously been cited as a major influence by men that have been convicted for committing rape, yes they had a problem, but that is the whole point.

i'm just saying that the phrasing of the single line comment to not say it was controversial because there was an extended rape scene, but to remove that is part of the problem in putting the onus on women, rather than educating male behaviour, which we should be focussing on

As I said, no one watches this and then decides to rape someone or be violent. Those perpetrating such crimes were in a mind to do so prior to ever hearing of or seeing this film. It is just another case of "the dog told me to do it" excuse if they say otherwise.

There's also one hell of a lot of bullshit surrounding this film eminating from the press reaction to it when first released. They too were blaming it for every concievable crime that followed. Did the crime rate actually suddenly rise after the launch of this film, were there more crimes commited against women? No.

If you want to be finite about it, no rapes were in fact depicted in the film. Violence towards both men and women yes, but the physical act of rape was not actually shown.

If you watch something or read anything that explores morality and then decide to go be immoral then you had that thought in you to begin with. Anyone who suggesting the film alone inspired them to act in such a way is a liar or looking for an excuse for their behaviour. Most people know what they are seeing isn't aceptable and that what this film depicts is not reality, the whole pretence of the film is based upon the principal that what you were watching was not normal.

Are you saying that everyone who watches this is or will become a rapist? Why are you so eager to edit out the violence towards women and not bothered about violence expressed towards other sections of society such as vagrants?

Yes, rape is wrong, but editing this film will not prevent it from happening. If what you say is so disturbing then I don't really think you should be watching the film at all?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom