A choice based on ONE QUESTION

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by remdude, Mar 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. remdude

remdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

If you had to choose between the Panasonic 32LXD60 or the Toshiba 32WLT66 based on the following question, which one would you choose?

Question: Which of the above LCD TV's would you buy based on just the Brand history, i.e which company has made the best/reliable TV's/LCD's in the past?

The reason I am asking this question is because they both seem technically similar, also similar in price, and I need to decide.

Thanks for your help!

REMDUDE

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    For me, Panasonic.

But I might go for the Toshiba since the Panasonic has no backlight adjust.

3. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I think I'm correct in saying the Toshiba 66 series is their flagship range, whereas the 60 series from Panasonic is their "lower-end" range. Might be fairer to compare the upcoming Panasonic 600 series :)

If not, historically I like Panasonic. Wouldn't be surprised if the build quality on the Toshiba 66 series is better than the 60 series Panasonic though. I'm sure the 600 will be more substantial.

4. Teppic

Teppic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Difficult question to answer in general. As the Mod-ster Mr Kirby pointed out, the models you're comparing in each companies range aren't quite aimed at the same point, which certainly complicates giving any straight answer. Plus there's less known about the Toshiba as it stands right now (i'd much rather be making a judgement call on owners opinions than on any published reviews in magazines).

On over all company brand history i'd say that both companies are almost equal. I've certainly been very happy with any Toshiba kit i've bought in the past, and Panasonic are often considered the best in many areas of electronic equipment. If we're talking strictly judging the companies on past LCD ranges, then Panasonic probably pulls ahead simply because it's quite rare for people to have faults. Toshiba isn't far behind, but you do find more cases of people finding slight problems.

Speaking strictly on the specific models you mention however (putting aside which company made what), my decision would probably twist back in favour of the WLT66 due to it most likely having more features than the Panasonic model. If you'd said the LXD600 instead of 60, it would probably have been the Panasonic. Make of that what you will... Although again the 600 hasn't been seen, so who knows until it's finally released.

Like i said, difficult. ;)

5. remdude

remdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your replies.

Im a bit confused as to why Toshiba's flagship model is cheaper then the Panasonic model?:rolleyes:

I currenlty have the Panasonic 32LXD1, but for various reasons I am upgrading, and don't want to jump into it as I did when I purchased this one.

It seems its not easy buying these TV's!

How will the 32LXD600 be better than the 60 series?

Thanks

6. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    The 600 series will definitely have better sound and a PC input. I can only guess they've made it look a little nicer (even if it is just a little) and from what I've seen, I'd be surprised if they haven't upped the build quality a little.

The old LXD52 seems to be a better "quality" set in my opinion and not necessarily built any cheaper than the 500 series, just more "conventional" styling. But having seen the 60 series, which although I'm sure gives an excellent picture as Panasonics always do, I think I would expect them to have increased the overall quality of the set a little.

7. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    REMDUDE just the question that I'm trying to decide at the moment. Replacing my Toshiba [below]. I had terrible problems initially trying to connect my Artisan (Windows Media Centre) to this model by DVI. Naturally, I am very wary about having the same problems this time round.

Stuart, I just looked at the 32LXD60 and it definitely had a VGA connection in addition to the two HDMIs.

Can you connect an HTPC [specifically an Artisan] by DVI-HDMI to either 32WL66 or 32LXD60?

8. philflow

philflow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I thought 32LXD60 did not have VGA-in.

9. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Yeah me too... traditionally Panasonic have always used this as a method to differentiate their flagship range and their more entry level range?

10. teresalondon

teresalondon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was going to buy the panny60 but is it worth waiting for the 600 will it be much better
    also any one who have this set panny 60 know if the sound of the fan is noisy
    or does it just come on at start up like a pc etc
    thanks

:lease:

11. philflow

philflow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    They will be very similar. similar technology, similar image quality.
    LXD600 will have some extra features, most importantly a PC-input.
    I don't know what other features.

12. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I hope somebody can give a categoric assurance here. One trip to Currys last night was enough, I don't wont to have to go again just to squint round the back of the Panny :eek: - especially when it looks so good at the front.

PS Toshiba are normally so helpful having a pop-up on their site with box's connections, but not for the 32WLT66 :( .

13. robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    take a look here page 7

14. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I believe the most noticeable differences between the 600 and 60 are the 600 has a PC input and significantly improved speakers. Might not sound much but I think the speaker quality is over-looked myself.

Although many of us connect these TVs to surround systems, I still would rather watch EastEnders from the TV speakers. And the 500/600 series make this more pleasurable than my LXD52 and the LXD60...

15. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That's brilliant - I'll read it in the morning though. Thanks :smashin: .