a chioce of two...which speakers should i buy????

S

spacekdet69

elloooooooo every 1:hiya:
am really desperate for some help.... have been pulling what little hair i have out so please please give me some honest and knowledgeable replies.....i have a pioneer 737 dvd player...denon avc-10se amp and a denon poa-t10 power amp for the extra rear channels...my room is 12 feet by 19 feet and my listening possition is central....i just cant decide whether to go for the jamo d6 thx ultra package....which would consist of 3 front..4 surround and 2 d6 subs......£2500....... or the mordaunt short 500 thx select package...which would consist of 3 front... 4 surround and an aditional subwoofer.....£1740 with out the extra sub..the speakers would be used for movies only.............. any help in this matter would be gr8ly appreciated..... thanks for your time ............................. love hugs and best wishes
nick. :suicide:

the jamo d7 system i have heard, not he d6 stuff though. the d7 was VERY good and would love to have it and was told the d6 sounds very close to it. hope this helps, though not entirely relevant:smashin:

thanks for your reply.....its slowly but surely looking like the jamo`s.....thanks for your time ....best wishes m8
nick.

To confuse you further I wouldn't go for either of those on your budget. I would buy M&K Pro MPS1510 for the front three, something cheaper for the rear and a decent subwoofer.

In fact that's exactly what I did :D

you should buy the ones you like the sound of the best.....well, thats what i would do...

thanks for your reply....yup!! this is deffo becoming confusing... :) but will value every ones opinions and thoughts.......cheers for ya time m8.... best wishes
nick.

I would back up Ian's advice and have a listen to the M&K line(you'll have trouble demoing the pro range). The new 850 package looks the business, if a tad out of your budget. Also teh Jamo D7 package is very good having heard it on a few occasions, the D6 is not quite as good.

thx mjn 4 reply.... yes i entirely agree..but finding some where that has the mordaunt short 500 package for demo, has proved a big problem 4 me.....have been intouch with richer sounds, and they told me they could get them in if i order a set. but their isnt any stores that have them on demo...i have up to yet found one shop in lancashire that has the left-right-center but no rears. thx for ya time m8 and opinion.
regards
nick.

Originally posted by Ian J
To confuse you further I wouldn't go for either of those on your budget. I would buy M&K Pro MPS1510 for the front three, something cheaper for the rear and a decent subwoofer.

In fact that's exactly what I did :D

ok first orf thx for ya reply.
i knew this would be a bad idea coss me bank balance is starting to twitch along with a few other things i may add....Anyway have had a word with g/f ok meant groveled, and could come up with £3000... i have had a quote from 1 company and they can do the jamo d7 system for £2850.. consisting of 3 fronts and two dipole rears d7 sub and either another 2 fronts or dipoles......quite a decent price i thought. but then after reading your reply got me thinking about the m&k now OMGAWD. i worked out that three fronts come £1275 and 4 tripole rears £1600 a total price of £2875 which ones would in your opinion be the best have heard the d7 @ SO...and was impressed... but another moderator said i would have difficulty with demo`s `on the m&k pro range.....so which one would you suggest with out being byest lol.....and if the m&k what would be the ideal partnering sub and approx price....... many thanks for any help recieved on this matter......and once again thanks for your time ..
regards and best wishes
nick......

Originally posted by spacekdet69
your reply got me thinking about the m&k now OMGAWD. i worked out that three fronts come £1275 and 4 tripole rears £1600 a total price of £2875 which ones would in your opinion be the best

I have a different philosphy for home cinema speakers and that is that if 90% of the sound comes from the front three speakers I would put 90% of my total budget into those three.

Something like the M&K S85 which has now been superceded but may still be available or the 650 series will cost you about £1200 for the front three. The purists might pay £1600 for the matching rear speakers but I wouldn't.

In those circumstances I would find a good pair of non M&K speakers for the rears and spend £500 but with the £1100 saved I would go higher up the scale with the front three.

As M&K are satellites you will need a subwoofer but I wouldn't bother with an M&K subwoofer as they are very expensive and you can buy better, cheaper.

Subwoofers to consider are the Velodyne CHT15 at £685, Paradigm Servo 15 at £500 or take advantage of the poor dollar and buy an SVS 25-31 PC Plus direct from US for £700.

If it's any help I have the professional versions of the M&K S85 at the front which are superb speakers, Mission M7DS at the rear and I visit the SVS website every day psyching myself up to press the "buy" button and replace my REL Storm.

The better quality dipoles seem to be more diffuse though. With your setup Ian I would consider better quality rears.

I bet if you try out my HDP-2's I think you'll change your mind. :)

I'm sure that you're right and I would benefit from better rears but I believe that I made the most of my budget at the time and have ended up with a front soundstage that is better than most and a rear soundstage that is adequate.

I have a different philosphy for home cinema speakers and that is that if 90% of the sound comes from the front three speakers I would put 90% of my total budget into those three.

Something like the M&K S85 which has now been superceded but may still be available or the 650 series will cost you about £1200 for the front three. The purists might pay £1600 for the matching rear speakers but I wouldn't.

In those circumstances I would find a good pair of non M&K speakers for the rears and spend £500 but with the £1100 saved I would go higher up the scale with the front three.

As M&K are satellites you will need a subwoofer but I wouldn't bother with an M&K subwoofer as they are very expensive and you can buy better, cheaper.

Subwoofers to consider are the Velodyne CHT15 at £685, Paradigm Servo 15 at £500 or take advantage of the poor dollar and buy an SVS 25-31 PC Plus direct from US for £700.

If it's any help I have the professional versions of the M&K S85 at the front which are superb speakers, Mission M7DS at the rear and I visit the SVS website every day psyching myself up to press the "buy" button and replace my REL Storm.

hi Ian
thanks for such a prompt reply..
the jamo`s didnt even get a mention then, would the m&k`s be that much more superior than the jamo`s..also where would be a good place to buy the m&k speakers from..... and as they are from the pro range is their definately nowhere i can get a demo......also the last sub you spoke about i am not @ all familiar with or the website SVS... do you have a link for that please.... and also sorry to be such a pain but am a newbie to the forum and am i replying in the correct mannor......
regards and best wishes
nick.

I haven't heard the Jamo but I'm biased and think that M&K sound better than most speakers. If you want to listen to S85 or 650 try your local dealer and if you like them you are more than welcome to listen to my MPS1510, especially as I also use the Denon AVC10SE to power them.

The SVS website is at http://www.svsubwoofers.com/

I haven't heard the Jamo but I'm biased and think that M&K sound better than most speakers. If you want to listen to S85 or 650 try your local dealer and if you like them you are more than welcome to listen to my MPS1510, especially as I also use the Denon AVC10SE to power them.

The SVS website is at http://www.svsubwoofers.com/

Hi Ian..
thanks for that offer m8 u r a gem... am deffo gunna be trying for a demo on the m&k speakers you recomended. And aslo.. Wow you are gunna trade the rell in for an svs sub, they must be pretty good not heard much about them but the american reviewers and critics alike gave big time praise to their products. Mind you saying that did like the ermmmmmmm now what was the model number...i dunno am sure you know the sub i mean lolol the $3000 passive one. Also which was the one you would like for £700.... have you heard any of their subs in action.............sorry m8 just been had a look on the site a proper one....doh. Wowser a cylindrical sub how curious.... with massive o/b amplification really looks gr8 and the spec count is fantastic.....they almost seem to good to be true.....

best wishes and regards
nick.:smashin::boring: :boring:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom