A Challenge - A loft box and sky multiroom!!!!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bobpants, Jun 20, 2005.

1. bobpants

bobpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Have read all threads on multirrom and learnt loads - thanks !!

Now am getting sky multiroom but wanted to setup with loft box...

Normally, with single sat feed, the dish goes into the loft box. The box then has 2 feeds from the sky end (1 feed up i.e power etc. and one feed down i.e signal etc.)

How will this work with multiroom >>?

I read that with multiroom, 1 sky box has 2 cables from dish, the other box has 1 cable from dish. I presume the LNB is only fed power from one box not both ??!

How the **!! could this work with the loft box ? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Bob

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It will not work.

I don't know where you got that from ! Both Sky+ boxes will need two wires going to the dish, and both sets carry power.

If you want to be able to watch both boxes from mutliple rooms, the only way to do it would be with an RF distribution system. I assume you were talking about Sky+ ? Ordinary Sky multi-room uses one wire to each box, and still won't work with a loft box.

3. bobpants

bobpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol - the bit about 1 cable and one box etc. was from a previous post.

Hmm, ok rats ! do you know where there is a bit of basic info as to what is going up and down the leads on the sky boxes i.e to see if there is a way to modify the loft box to work?

Thanks
    !!

4. jw250

jw250

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Forgive my ignorance, but I assume the loft box you mention is a standard RF amplifier/distributor? And all the TV points in your home go to the loft? And you are trying to use this existing cable structure to get Sky Multiroom or multiple sky boxes? If I understand this correctly then there is a way you can use the existing cabling 'unless' it involves a Sky+ box somewhere in the system. You can not use your exisitng RF amp though, it will not distribute sky signals for boxes to be connected to. You need a 'diplexer' which has all 4 connections from a high-power (not the standard type) quad lnb on a 60cm dish (to maintain good signal strength) you can also connect your TV antenna and FM antenna to this. The diplexer is an integrated TV/FM/SAT dustribution amplifier. It will send down 1x run of coax a SAT signal, TV signal and FM radio. Therefore each TV point will need to have 3x sockets (called a 'tri-plate') but remember, for SKy+ to be connected you will have to send 2x SAT signals so 2x cables will have to run from the distribution diplexer to the Sky+ location/s. Diplexers normally come in 8/12/16xway flavours and are commonly used in apartment buildings where one dish feeds the whole block. Its not cheap though, but works really well. If you already have the cabling structure then it should be reasonably straightforward with a bit of net reasearch. Hope this is relevant to your question.

5. jw250

jw250

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just to add - if you want to watch any of your sky boxes in other rooms via RF (on channel 6 or whatever) you will need a cable going from your sky box back to the distribution amp, this is then linked into a 'reverse splitter' and combined with the TV antenna feed into the amp. Regarding power, the diplexer/distribution amp is mains fed - there's your power.

6. jw250

jw250

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Another add: You mention 1 feed up for power - this doesn't make sense, a feed going up from a Sky box into an amp carries picture and sound to be sent around the home via the amp, not power. Thats all. The feed going to the box shouldn't go into an RF amp. Power for the LNB goes along the same single coax that goes directly to the SKy box - or am I missing something?!

7. bobpants

bobpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help guys - have sussed the answer - found some decent tech help for once...

http://www.technical.philex.com/downloads/rf/SLx8L.pdf

Turns out you connect 1 cable to the distribution box & the other to the sat box. you then have another feed back up from the sat box to the distribution box.

The 2nd box is independent I think !!

Thanks again !

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well if you had told us what your goal was, it might have been easier to help you :smashin:

9. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you after watching both sky boxes on all tv's in the house?

If so it can be done.