Question A budget small BOOKSHELF speaker for home theater and music?

shaby

Standard Member
Hi,
I listening to music and also watching tv series's.
My system config is 5.1 , the current front sp are - Polk audio Signature S20.
I am not saying they're not good ... it just that they're not warm enough for music too.
Is there A fair quality entry level BOOKSHELF speakers that "dance" between these worlds?
Must be at the smaller side of the book shelf...up to 14.50 inches (37 cm) aprox.
Thank you!

Ron Hilditch

Suspended
Hi,
I listening to music and also watching tv series's.
My system config is 5.1 , the current front sp are - Polk audio Signature S20.
I am not saying they're not good ... it just that they're not warm enough for music too.
Is there A fair quality entry level BOOKSHELF speakers that "dance" between these worlds?
Must be at the smaller side of the book shelf...up to 14.50 inches (37 cm) aprox.
Thank you!
I bought a pair of PRC Mini Monitors from Sevenoaks, last year for a second system. They were discounted down to £199 and at that price great value. Happy with the way they sound and the build quality is superb.

dogfonos

I've not heard the Polk S20 so I've no idea whether they're usually considered to lack warmth (or to be on the bright side of neutral). Assuming the Polk's are lacking warmth, and that it's not just your personal taste, then most Q Acoustics and Wharfedale speakers are often considered marginally on the warm side of neutral -or at least, not bright-sounding.

Unless the room is small, probably best to stick with speakers that have 6.5" bass/mid drive units, like the Polk S20, otherwise you may not get the sound you require. Using a speaker that's too small for the room will often result in a bass-light tonality. What's the size of your listening room?

shaby

Standard Member
@Ron Hilditch have you tried to google " PRC Mini Monitors"?
No results for sp's.

@dogfonos
You're right - lack warmth....It's not only that they are China manufactured...it just not A brand thay produces sp's with warmth sound.
This is not the first time I hearing A recommendation on Q Acoustics.
But how it helps me with the warmth? They probably chinise too.

Regarding the ROOM:
About 15 sqm.
Not a tiny, not big.

So what are your thoughts after my response?

Thank you!

dogfonos

I bought a pair of PRC Mini Monitors from Sevenoaks
PRC = Peoples Republic of China?!?

Not all speakers made in China will lack warmth or sound bright. Let's face it, most speakers available today (in the UK at least) are made in China so it's quite possible the brands I suggested (Wharfedale & Q Acoustics) are made in China too.

Normally, with a 5.1 speaker setup, it's best that the front three speakers (L,R & C) are from the same manufacturer and preferably from the same speaker range. Whilst changing your front L & R speakers from Polk to Q Acoustics, Wharfedale (or any other) may give a better sound with music, it may make the 5.1 setup sound worse.

Another approach, and not one I personally recommend, would be to purchase a larger speaker so that you get a richer, warmer tonal balance. However, that often comes with a downside of imprecise/boomy bass and muddled lower midrange.

Will you get a chance to listen to any speakers before you purchase?

Ron Hilditch

Suspended
I bought a pair of PRC Mini Monitors from Sevenoaks, last year for a second system. They were discounted down to £199 and at that price great value. Happy with the way they sound and the build quality is superb.
Whoops guilty as charged! In mitigation I plead advanced years and also blame those bloody great big wine glasses, I bought off Amazon. Ann's flower vases are smaller! Should have read PSB not PRC. Canadian company with a good reputation. Think the Mini Monitors originally retailed for over £600? They certainly look and sound as if they are worth more than I paid for them. If my memory is correct, they are to be placed on a shelf. All I can suggest is don't get any speakers with underdamped and resonant cabinets.
Good Luck

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom