A British Airways Concorde

Discussion in 'Photo Sharing' started by johnaalex, Jun 9, 2015.

1. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,951
    G-BOAB is the one Concorde left at Heathrow airport and can usually be seen close to one of the runways. It was moved to one of the engineering hangers so that people attending the 2015 Britsh Airways Openday could get to see it close up. For my money this is the most beautiful plane ever and I am so happy that I can say I have flown on a Concorde!

All comments welcome, thank you.

1)
    [​IMG]
    Concorde G-BOAB-1
    by John Alexander, on Flickr

2)
    [​IMG]
    Concorde G-BOAB-2

3)
    [​IMG]
    Concorde G-BOAB-3

4)
    [​IMG]
    Concorde G-BOAB-4

5)
    [​IMG]
    Concorde G-BOAB-5

6)
    [​IMG]
    Concorde G-BOAB-6

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  2. tonkie

tonkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    You lucky [email protected] :p
    Got to agree with you John, it is still a beaut.
    Before the crash the French one could be seen flying over our house at about 4pm everyday and you see the speed of it, like no other plane.
    Love it

3. kBm

kBm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,299
    You're not wrong with the 'getting close to it'. You could touch that! It looked busy - Did you move in closer, isolate area of the aircraft? wings etc?

4. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    I was visiting/working at Heathrow after its last flight and it was parked up.... BA let me have a walk around of what is the most beautiful plane ever made... along with the Spitfire. Surprised at how tiny and narrow it was.... for obvious performance reasons. Nice pictures and an absolute pleasure to see

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  5. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Beautiful plane, still a masterclass in engineering. I too have been very lucky and flown on a BA Concorde, the experience on take off and when they relight the afterburners is nothing short of staggering :)

Nice pics btw.

6. spannersatcx

spannersatcx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,628
    you can go on the one at the Boeing museum of flight, and I believe the one at Manchester Airport.
    I got some flt deck pics a few years ago at Boeing.

7. car-man

car-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,457
    Yes, you can go inside the one at Manchester, It's inside a hanger at the Aviation Viewing Park where I go fairly often.
    I've been inside the one at Manchester.

8. keefysher

keefysher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    John, you are getting good at this memory jogging by posting images. Firstly the Grand Canyon, then the Marlow / Bisham (I lived West / East / In & North of Marlow for many years) and now Concorde. Thank you.

I used to fly out of LHR T4 on a Sunday evening a lot. Always got to the Speedwing Lounge, raced to the back, climbed on the sofa and opened the curtains and lifted the blinds to watch Concorde do her pre flight checks of lowering and raising her snout before she was pushed back and left for JFK. Always caused lots of comments from the lounge guests about climbing on the furniture until they looked in awe at her.

The one at Filton is looking a sorry state just berthed in the middle of a building site. The one on the carrier berthed on the Hudson River in New York looks crammed in.

I gave up flying Bloody Awful after being sat behind the inboard engine on the inaugural flight of their 747-400 out of Perth Western Australia back to LHR in Club in place of in the upper cabin as all other 747-400 operators. Colin Marshall was on board and we had an interesting chat as to why I was not amused and wouldn't fly penny pinching BA until they reconfigured the cabins for the £4800 ticket price. Last time we flew BA lost my baggage and it turned up trashed 3 weeks after arriving home. Never again. Emirates deliver service!!!

9. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,363
    You can walk through the prototype at The Imperial War Museum at Duxford and they also have one of the engines out
    Concorde 101 | Imperial War Museum - Duxford, Cambridgeshire… | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Concorde 101 Engines | Imperial War Museum - Duxford, Cambri… | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I once arrived back at the Pink Elephant carpark just after dark when Concorde was taxi-ing to the runway at Heathrow.
    We stopped and watched it power up and shoot off - afterburners burning into the sky. The noise was just incredible and the acceleration was stunning. What made it doubly memorable was the wave of car alarms that followed half a second later through the car park, you could see the BMWs and Merc hazards flash along the car park in a wave. Then after 30 seconds or so they all calmed down and shut off leaving me and my boss stood there speechless.
    So sad I never got to have a ride.

10. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,833
    Yes I agree - great aircraft but these shots aren't doing much for me unfortunately John - sorry

11. andyUK101

andyUK101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +456
    One of my regrets that i never had chance to fly concorde - remember going to see it once at leeds bradford airport when i was little

Nice set, great subject

12. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,951
    You could definitely touch it, just a pity there wasn't a raised viewing platform to get shots level with the fuselage.

Sadly the inside of this one at LHR has been allowed to get into such a bad state of repair that they do not allow anybody on board.

Have to say that even though I fly a lot with BA I have to agree with your comments about their service!

Fair enough.

13. car-man

car-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,457