1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A bracket, a tube, another bracket and a few screws = £130 to £200 = rip off?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Anim, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Why are projector ceiling mounts so expensive?

I mean, come on! They start at £120.00 and go up from there. Where is the price justified in several bits of metal? Ebay sell em for 20 quid which is about what I would expect based on the quality but I think the consumer are getting ripped off for branded mounts.

:lease:

Just my morning rant

Anim

2. stryker

stryker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had one off ebay from some american sounding company. For the £20 I've very happy with it. You get what you pays for IE if I plug a cable into my PJ it normally knocks the aim off, but I mean how ofter do you do that?

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I went the DIY route. It's not that difficult to fashion one out of a piece of MDF and a supporting bracket of some sort (eg speaker bracket). Have a look at Gary Lightfoot's site for inspiration...PJ :)

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Some are built more solid and better looking, which takes a little more than just cutting some metal of a pole. Then packaging and distribution costs. I get what you're saying though, I use a fabricator friend of mine for complex installs where £150 gets me what Vogels would charge £500+ for (plasma ceiling mount usually). But there again I'm dealing directly with the manufacturer, and it's just an ugly piece of black painted steel. The vogels is a nice looking silver number, with integrated cable management, and comes apart for easy transport and installation.

I guess it was about time for a rip-off Britain post though!!! Haven't seen one since breakfast lol

5. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Guys you are missing the point completely. The materials used in more expensive projector mounts have more than just an aesthetic appeal they also assist in the achieving the projectors true performance.

To an untrained eye the same projector on a cheap and expensive mount may appear to provide similar results, however try calibrating the projector and you will see the results. Put In lay man terms(but not used to correct the same effect) it is like the reason companies put magnetic shielding in speakers.

You pay’s your money and take a chance. :lesson: ;) :)

Foghorn

6. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Home Cinema has effected projector prices but not the accessories, thats what I think. Manufactors are still producing products for the business market not home users hence no change in price for bulbs, mounts, screens etc.

The PC market was once like this too.

Anim

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    :laugh:

Sadly, I think one of the manufacturers may see this and try it as a sales pitch, and even more sadly some people may swallow it...PJ :)

8. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I use an advanced, thermally insulated, height adjustable, collapsable, transportable projector stand :thumbsup:

...it's an ironing board :D

Yeah, doesn't look like much, but can't really have a permanent setup in our living room. It does the job!

9. justdoit

justdoit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I got one off Ebay for £35 with an adjustable pole and everything included bar bolts for the ceiling. The adjusting problem on 'cheap' mounts isn't a problem when you find your projector 'adjusts' its picture depending on the input source your using - it becomes a design feature!!

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    If you put some shirts under the PJ can you kill two birds with one stone?

...PJ ;)

11. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I have gone the DIY route as well. Couldn't bring myself to pay over £100 for something I built for less than £10 that does the same job.

12. sime

sime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i use a a double drawer leather look box from the local wilko's , great for the remotes and sits about the hight as the sofa/setee, when not in use just stick it in the corner

13. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I remember when I first bought my Barco CRT and they wanted £450 just for the cheap ceiling mount. The top end mount was £750! Needless to say I ended up getting a third party one from the States for about £125 :thumbsup:

Some of the prices charged for the plasma/LCD mounts are simply outrageous if you ask me. Most of them are nothing more than poorly finished sheet metal with holes drilled in them. Even the high end ones don't even remotely have enough design features or craftmanship on them to justify the high prices. But while suckers keep buying them, they ain't gonna stop making them that's for sure!! :D

14. Dickster

Dickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ditto on the DIY route.

I've gone for a nice piece of Opaque(?) perspex suspended by some 6mm stainless rods. After two minutes people don;t even notice it's there. Girlfriend frendly too - not bad.

Cool,

Dickster

15. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I used a short table leg which has a height-adjustable 'foot', some self-tapping screws, a piece of fibreboard (might replace this soon) and three M6 bolts. Plus heavy-duty bolts to attach it to the ceiling joist.

Z3-M6 bolts to fibreboard

The fibreboard (sprayed black) - bolts in the middle to the table leg via adjustable foot (allows subtle height adjustment as well as attachment to the table leg). Self-tapping screws screwed through the table leg into the adjustable foot bolt's 'nut' to make sure the pj doesn't pull the whole thing out of the table leg tube.

Looks ok, is fully adjustable and cost a fraction of the 'proper' mounts' prices.

I'll post some pics if I can.

16. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Please post pics asap!!! I've just gotta see what a projector hanging off a table-leg looks like!!!!!!!

If you guys don't like the idea of a £100 projector mount, y'll gonna love this. I have a client who wants a budget LCD (anything more is a just a waste of money apparently) but is tempted to use a £4,000 projector lift to put it on!!!!

17. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Pics of my bracket (not currently up as decorating going on!) Hope you can see how it fits together. Left to right:

1)Shot of table leg attached to ceiling
    2)End of table leg showing bolt collar (where adjustable foot attaches) and screws holding it in the table leg
    3)Upper side (when mounted) of fibreboard showing M6 bolts, nuts both sides of fibreboard for adjustment and locking
    4)Shot of 'foot' going into fibreboard

The black wire in third pic is a safety line that attaches further up the table leg, just in case the foot/collar bit fails.

Attached Files:

18. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Might just go and put the pj up for a 'money shot'. Back in a bit.

19. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    More pics with pj up

Attached Files:

20. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Liam,

I would love to see pictures of that one! :rotfl:

21. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Nice pics Supes. I can't understand why some women think they get in the way of the decor. I mean, they are so unobtrusive. :devil:

PS and what did your other half think of you sawing one of the legs off the dining table? :D

22. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    nice job there, just shows what you can achieve with a little imagination. well done.

23. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Cheers guys - recognition at last..!

Pj - Yeah, she was really hacked off as I had to prop the dining room table up with her classical cd collection...

(Actually the table leg was £1.49 from B&Q - they come in different lengths and girths as well and the adjustable foot screwing in makes a great way of bolting the board on).

Only thing I might change is the fibreboard - I'd cut it down a bit smaller and perhaps use perspex instead - if I could find some!

I got the initial idea from a post here on the forums by John DB (02/05/2005) and just modified it as per what I could find to suit in B&Q.

Much, much more fun than buying one - especially when you include pulling component and power cabling through the ceiling cavity...

24. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Great job supersonic! And I'm the same, if I can get my hands dirty for a weekend it's usually more fun (and satisfying) than taking the easy route.

But I've gotta say, take the amount of hours that took, multiply it by the your average hourly wage, add the cost of parts, and VAT, and carriage, and you can see how quickly a bracket and a few screws can quickly become a three-figure product. Especially when that bracket has to fit a specific projector, or a large percentage of all projectors.

Zippy - I'm trying my utmost to talk him out of it. It's recessed screen too so we're very quickly getting to five-figures for what isn't gonna be that great a picture (sorry TX100 fans but for 10k you want more). So my logic was why not go for a 65" plasma :D

25. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Go for a 1080p 70" plasma instead then :D