Question A bodge too far? Curtains instead of wall treatment.

mikeysthoughts

I've been mulling over various options for outfitting a spare bedroom as the dedicated cinema room.

Obviously we want to have the darkest possible space, and try to reduce noise bleed to the rest of the house. In addition, a level of interior room noise damping would be better than the bare walls.

I've bought black paint and a few metres of Black velvet. Paint for the walls and ceiling, and velvet for the screen surrounding area.

So light shouldn't be an issue, but what about noise?

Don't want to do anything too intrusive within the walls, so in-wall insulation is out of the question. I could apply velvet to the walls directly which would help with interior room damping, but not a great deal with reducing noise to the outside world. Also it would probably look terrible.

We've investigated building false walls forward of the walls with fabric-covered frames, filling them with sound insulating materials. That's still an option, but the final aesthetic would be subject to our DIY skill (ie. poor), and would need to overcome challenges with plug socket & radiator positioning etc.

Has anyone used floor-to-ceiling curtains as an interior solution? I'm not expecting a huge amount of exterior soundproofing from this, but it would potentially look better and reduce interior sound reflections, and it would be easily reversible if needed.

Thoughts?

cynix

I used dark grey curtains on the wall either side of my screen and it looks great, although they aren't floor to ceiling. They look completely black when watching a movie, though if used on side walls would presumably still be slightly reflective.

There's a pic and some more details over in this other thread :

AndreNewman

I've been mulling over various options for outfitting a spare bedroom as the dedicated cinema room.

Obviously we want to have the darkest possible space, and try to reduce noise bleed to the rest of the house. In addition, a level of interior room noise damping would be better than the bare walls.

I've bought black paint and a few metres of Black velvet. Paint for the walls and ceiling, and velvet for the screen surrounding area.

So light shouldn't be an issue, but what about noise?

Don't want to do anything too intrusive within the walls, so in-wall insulation is out of the question. I could apply velvet to the walls directly which would help with interior room damping, but not a great deal with reducing noise to the outside world. Also it would probably look terrible.

We've investigated building false walls forward of the walls with fabric-covered frames, filling them with sound insulating materials. That's still an option, but the final aesthetic would be subject to our DIY skill (ie. poor), and would need to overcome challenges with plug socket & radiator positioning etc.

Has anyone used floor-to-ceiling curtains as an interior solution? I'm not expecting a huge amount of exterior soundproofing from this, but it would potentially look better and reduce interior sound reflections, and it would be easily reversible if needed.

Thoughts?
We did something similar, we wanted blackout and some light control for Cinema and light walls exposed when the curtains are opened, some pic in this other thread.

Not finished yet but we like the way it works.

The curtains are thick and with an extra separate acoustic dampening liner hung behind, they kill high frequency first reflections but don't do anything for the more problematic low frequencies. I'm building bass traps for that.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom