• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

A Blu-ray player for opera and live concerts.

New Forester

I have a small collection of opera and live music concerts including heavy metal and country and pop. I’m not into films and have no need for Netflix and all the other extras - I’m not interested in 4K unless they collapse in price. I just want a decent picture and sound quality for Blu-ray Discs played through my stereo set up of Sugden amp and Spendor speakers. Budget not an issue. Suggestions?

gibbsy

If you want the very best in audio then a used Oppo 205 or a new Pioneer LX500, or if budget is no problem then the LX800. I've had a number of players and my current LX500 is certainly the best I've had certainly for 5.1 music. The LX500 also has a pair of analogue outputs for stereo music. I did experiment with the analogue connection to the Rega Elicit for CD and stereo SACD replay but much prefer my Denon standalone SACD player.

Problem is they are like hen's teeth at the moment with delivery of new stock is being hit hard by the pandemic.

k-spin

Nope. That’s way more than they were new.

You’d be better off getting an LX800 if you’re prepared to spend a significant amount without getting ripped off.

gibbsy

gibbsy

Am I getting best audio stereo capability out of the LX800 by analogue RCA cables to my Sugden stereo amp?
It has a separate DAC just for stereo playback via RCA.

New Forester

Thanks. I’ll probably go for the LX 800. When it is back in stock somewhere. Gives me plenty of time to do more research. I note several comments about customer service, or lack of from Pioneer. Hopefully that’s a short term problem?

gibbsy

Thanks. I’ll probably go for the LX 800. When it is back in stock somewhere. Gives me plenty of time to do more research. I note several comments about customer service, or lack of from Pioneer. Hopefully that’s a short term problem?
Owners of both LX500 and 800 have been waiting two years now for a firmware upgrade to be able to play HDR10+. It was first promised for the beginning of 2019 and it's been delay after delay. I think in my time of ownership, some 18 months, there has been one firmware update to fix individual disc problems.

I've only had one hissy fit with the LX500 when it refused to shut down from the remote or front on/off button. Ten minutes off at the mains quickly fixed it. Other than that it's been perfect.

Since being taken over by Onkyo it does look as though Pioneer's customer services have taken great strides backwards unfortunately. Communication is very poor.

New Forester

I have just been playing the Killers Albert Hall Blu-ray on my ancient Sony BD550 which I use with Spendor S3e speakers and a Sugden A21a amp In my 12x10 ft room. Wonderful picture and sound. And it’s just the 12 year old aspect of the Sony that makes me think about an upgrade. I’m really torn about forking out £2200 and wondering if I really should leave it until perhaps I move house and want to set up a new system in a larger room.

MaryWhitehouse

Picture should be the same essentially as still digital till you get to the TV. If you're happy with cosmetics of your Sony I'd use its digital out and buy the nicest, prettiest DAC I could find to slot between it and the Sugden. Or even better if budget isn't an issue I'd get a good DAC and upgrade the speakers too.

MaryWhitehouse

What DAC would you suggest?

Unfortunately not my area of personal experience at that level. However many folk would say that any given price point many DACS sound very similar so picky something pretty.

New Forester

That didn't last long. Once we nutters start thinking about upgrades it's difficult to resist change. I don't do it often. I have had my Sony S550 for 12 years! Anyway, after more research and thinking I have taken the plunge and ordered a Chord Qutest DAC. My next challenge is to decide on optical or coaxial connectors and what price level to stick to. Opinions here would be appreciated but I will post also in the relevant forum about DAC connectors.

MaryWhitehouse

I’m not sure which. I’d try both. As to connectors nothing expensive is needed just well made. However at this level get something good looking too :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom