1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A 'Blind' Opinion Formed of the AE100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by General Skanky, Feb 4, 2002.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Just thought I'd start yet 'another' thread about this little AE100.
    Basically I want this little pj because it's cheap, cheerful, does a fairly good job, has the inputs I want and it's available from a dealer.

I know there are flaws etc, and I know LCD vrs CRT vrs DLP etc, but it looks good value. And all this without a demo! which is coming. I'm prepared to accept it for what it is. Thanks go to TimH and others with their views, pics, experiences of the pj. It has been a great help. The only other choice is the Philps Monroe, which is a bit too much for me.

So hopefully in the near future I'll have a pj that'll be fun. :D
    Another step up the ladder.

2. Winnie

Winnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm with you General.

I too have been looking for my first PJ, and was close to buying the PLV-30, before this baby came along.

From what i've read and seen when this pj has all the things that appeal to me......price, 16:9; component input; size and lamp life/cost - probably in that order.

Thanks again to TimH and co. for giving invaluable first opinions on this pj and for making my mind up.

Winnie

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm with you guys. Many thanks to Timh for his help in making our minds up. 100" screen here we come!!:D

4. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    I too have been looking to get the BIG PICTURE EFFECT for some time now and none of what has been on offer before in my price range really did anything for me.

I do have 1 big worry about this new pannie projector and beg those with it who are reading this to answer this one question for me and others here:

In a dark room, just how bright is this baby?
    are the whites really bright and clearm with punch to them, or is it all a bit dull still ?

Do you need total darkness (blackout) to get a really bright picture.

in darkness, say if there was a big white flash on screen would it almost be too bright to look at ? Like an massive explosion in a film at the cinema, it's really bright....

thanks.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Tempest

The darker your room the better.
    I have a white ceiling, magnolia walls and beech laminate flooring, no curtains just vertical blinds and a street light outside our 12ft window.
    As you can see I have problems, its just to bright in my lounge, I need to fit curtains with blackout lining, maybe paint the ceiling cream and redecorate the walls in a softer darker colour. As for the floor, that stay's.
    The evenings are getting brighter, I'LL better get a move on ;)

6. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Thanks for the reply.
    I don't really mind myself as I'm after the CINEMA look so I'd want a black out anyway really, though of course if technology were able to give a nice picture in daytime that would be nice. But to immerse yourself in a movie (in my mind) you need the room to be black (Like a cinema) Surley though it does not matter what colour your ceiling/walls are painted though does it ?
    At night, would you say it's a Very bright image ? Like a Cinema would be ?

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Tempest

My problem is, I can get the room pretty dark at night, the trouble starts from light reflections in the room. If you look at my photo's you can see the ceiling quite clear just above the image. The light also reflects into the room of the walls quite a lot.
    So you dont just need it dark you also need none reflective surfaces, if there is a bright scene in a film I could probably read a book, it is that bright. You also loose contrast with reflections and the picture looks washed out, just check out my picture of Worf to see what I meen, the black borders dont look black, when I get a screen it should improve as the black borders on the screen fool the eye into thinking the contrast is better than it is.
    My Brother has a Sanyo plv-30 in a converted garage, his walls ceiling and floor are all dark blue, and painted surfaces in matt.
    So as you can imagine he has very little light reflection, and gets pretty good black's, but as for myself I have to draw a line some where, as I am using the projector in my lounge.