1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a bit wet behind the ears!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by doodar, Jan 19, 2004.

1. doodar

doodar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice.

i set up my new Sony DAVSC5 over the weekend and it blew my socks off!!!!

watching Black Hawk Down on it was a whole new experience for me as i have been making do with a JBL pro logic system for the past 5 years.

my question is this...

is it only personal taste or is there a particular setting i should be watching various films according to their specification?

i would be most grateful if someone who knows could point me in the right direction as far as what will give me the best sound performance on each format

hope this question makes sense, looking forward to hearing your views

d

2. doodar

doodar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is this is a really naff question?!!!!

do i have just have to work it out myself?!!!!!

3. doodar

doodar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    proove to me this forum exists, at least by telling what a crap question that was!!!

ok i'll rephrase it....

is there anyone out there who can please explain to me, or point me towards a website that explains to me, exactly what all the different sound formats are, how they work and which format i should use to gain the maximum pleasure from my new toy!

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Welcome to the forums. I have my receiver set on 'AUTO' and let the dvd player tell it what format to decode. The only time I change the setting on the dvd player is for example. The Fast & The Furious R2 has both DTS and Dolby Digital soundtracks available. I tend to use the DTS in this case, as it is punchier.

Hope this proves you are not alone on the forum.

Regards, Mylo

5. doodar

doodar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot for the reply Mylo, it's so nice to see someboday cares!!

your response actually throws up another one of my rather naive questions - my Sony claims to have DTS, but that is not one of the format options when i flick through the different sources - am i missing something?

6. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well generally i would reccomend trying the differnet sound funtions for differnt type of input. I generally have mine on normal surround using dolby digital (and DTS) as i don't like auto decode. But Sony's own Cinema EX 1 2 3 (or is it a b and c) can't remember can do a better job of different sources. I.e. with external sources such as a PC outputting stereo sound. Really its just a case finding which you like best!

7. doodar

doodar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks DDDavo

I'm not sure what normal surround is on my Sony though, from memory (i'm in the office) it goes: 2 ch stereo, auto, prologic, prologic II, prologic II movies, prologic II music, cinema ex a, b and c and then into the the hall, jazz, etc
    so again, sorry to sound thick, but what is 'normal' dolby digital or dts and if my dvd says it's format is dolby digital 5.1 or dts what should i be choosing to listening to it with?

if i'm asking dumb questions, please let me know, but i really want to get the most out of my system

8. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Hello again. Based on my Marantz receiver and my previous Pioneer, I would say set the machine to auto. When playing a disk with sound options, DVD or Dolby 5.1 etc, select the sound you wish to hear in the dvd menu. All going well the Sony should then output your chosen sound. Sorry to not be exact but I've not used that model.

Regards, Mylo:smoke:

9. doodar

doodar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mylo

thanks again for the advice, i think i'm beginning to understand how this thing works now! basically, let the sony do it's job, or mess about til i find what i like!!

appreciate your time

d

10. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have the SC5, i have the model that has been replaced with it. Using auto will sort out what the media is recorded in and then output as necessary, i have a function called "normal surround" which for a stereo input it uses dolby pro 2 and if its a DVD with DTS 5.1 it uses dolby digital 5.1 DTS. So if you give me a list of all the functions when you get home. Its just with auto, it will detect stereo if it is stereo sound and output as stereo so i use normal surround becuase it siumlates stereo and makes it come through all 5 speakers and the sub!

Hope that helps

11. doodar

doodar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks DDDavo

leaving for home soon, so if you check back at some stage, i'd appreciate your help

d

12. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As i say, it really doesn't matter which you select aslong as its 5.1 surround. Its preference really, ill post when you find out exactly your sound functions on your SC5

13. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello doodar,

welcome to the forums! :)

I have just purchased the sony dav-s550 and although the system is not yet set up due to an impending house move I think I can shed some light on your predicament.

I am familiar with the different sound modes that sony have on their systems. My dad has a sony dav-s500 and they are very similar. In my opinion the cinema ex a, b and c are pretty rubbish and just a gimmick, but that's only my opinion!

I would set the format to auto decode when watching a dvd as the system will recognise that the dvd is encoded in DD or DTS format. If the DVD you are playing has both formats then there may be an option in the menu of the dvd to change the sound from DTS to DD or even to stereo if that takes your fancy. I know for a fact that this is present on some dvd's. If there isn't any option in the dvd menu then I'm not sure how you can change this on the sony machine. I reckon that auto decode would make use of the DTS format.

If you are watching a film on BBC1 or Sky Movies then changing the setting to dolby pro logic II movies would provide a 5.1 sound for something that was originally encoded in 2 channel stereo. The same applies to CD's!

The general feeling is that playing something in a format that it wasn't originally recorded in can 'strangle' the sound in a way. For example pro logic can be just passed off as a bit of reverb coming out of the rear speakers.

The large and small hall modes on the sony just add a nasty echo and again imho are a bit gimmicky. However some people may like them?

I hope I have been of some help,

James :)

14. doodar

doodar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks all for the advice - i've learnt alot from reading the replies and it's all becoming a lot clearer!

as promised DDDavo here is the list of sound formats:
    AFD Auto
    pro logic
    plii movies
    plii music
    Cinema studio ex a, b and c
    hall
    jazz club
    l. concert
    game
    2ch stereo

looking forward to some more advice

d

15. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    I recently bought an sc5. I leave it to one of three settings. Pro loggic II, Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1. There are some other settings as you have desribed, but I find that some add additional colour to the sound and as such I avoid. Hope this helps.

16. doodar

doodar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks legion

(another dumb question coming up....!!!) but where do i find the Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 settings?

17. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok:

Auto decode will sort out any DVD movies supporting 5.2 or DTS cinema surround so that may be your best bet.

But for inputs that are stereo (like your TV) use pro-logic 2. There are two, music and movies just really a case of seeing which provides better simulated surround.

Cinema EX A B and C can make better jobs of chucking standard stereo inputs to the rear channels genereally speaking making it more like quad sound (plus your center speaker) and not so much surround sound. Pro logic 2 will use the rear channels for anything that isn't standard dialogue so really at the end of the day, just see which you like for the different types of audio!

18. doodar

doodar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks DDDavo

i could sense your frustration in trying to explain something which is pretty straightforward to someone who hasn't a clue

you'll be pleased to hear that, thanks to you and everbody's help, i think i now understand

allelujah!!!!!!!

cheers all

ps look out for more idiotic questions when i start to experiment a bit more!!!!

19. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh sos, realised 2 mistakes, i have said 5.2 (typing error) meant 5.1 and secondly its called sound field and i called it sound function? Don't know why??

Glad it helped

20. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there is any way of selecting which soundfield to use on the sony systems if the dvd has dts as well as 5.1.

If you select auto decode then I presume that dts would be selected as it is widely believed this is better than 5.1, however if 5.1 is more your bag then I don't think there is a way of selecting this?

Cheers,

James :)

21. doodar

doodar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mobily

remarkably, i can actually answer your query above!!

if you go into the dvd menu when playing the disc and go down to the audio menu, from there you can choose between 5.1, dts or whatever the disc has to offer

hope this helps

d

22. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    on Setting up the sc5 roomwise can you set each speaker level independently. not just front centre or rear I,m considering this or the pioneer nv99. also have you got control over treble/bass other than just shutting off the sub. can you get a manual for the sc5 on line anywhere Sony dont which is a pain

23. doodar

doodar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jaymac

yes, you can set up the speakers independently
    no, you have no extra control over the treble/bass, but you have 3 settings for the sub which is pretty effective

i would recommend the sc5 - it's awesome!!

24. WilliamSmith

WilliamSmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear guys,

I have the SC8 and I personally preferred the DTS format as it sounds much more louder than the Dolby Digital on most format.

When you pop in a DVD movie, either you can select the sound format thru the DVD menu language section or you can press the "Audio" button on the remote to scroll thru the formats available for that particular DVD movie.

A more complicated way is to press the "DVD Display" button on the remote itself and check out all the available format from the menu. This will involve scrolling thru the menu using your directional keypads located on your remote.

Hope this will help you out.

Regards,
    Will.