• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

A bit OTT Don't you think?

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
BBC News - Arrest over fire extinguisher thrown in student protest

So the guy who threw the Fire Extinguisher has been arrested on suspicion attempted murder.

bit extreme dont you think?

Let’s face the facts.

They lied to us 100% - not just a little bit, complete U turn.
Cameron ****s off to China to escape from it all – however he doesn’t really as someone in the Chinese (I believe) press asked him about it.

Then a bit of a riot kicks off which is a shame for the rest of the peaceful protestors but as I see it if you lie to a whole nation in the beginning of your “term in office” you will get a lot of angry people.

I personally think Cameron and his lap dog need to man up take this on the chin and apologize to everyone that they lied to us 100% as it is not a good start for them.

Bill Hicks

Banned
Seriously man your not saying that a policeman/woman's death is justifiable because of this government's policy on public spending?
The student/anarchist/idiot who threw the extinguisher off the roof intended serious injury or death to the lines of police below. End of!

They have thrown the book at him, quite rightly so to. After all he did allegedly throw a fire extinguisher from a roof, nearly maming or worse killing someone.

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
Seriously man your not saying that a policeman/woman's death is justifiable because of this government's policy on public spending?
The student/anarchist/idiot who threw the extinguisher off the roof intended serious injury or death to the lines of police below. End of!

But that is the whole point....no-one did die!

chipchomper

I think the guy is going to prison and deservedly so.

Politicians always lie nothing new or shocking about it.

However Id say election pledges are just that neither party was elected as such so they can do what they like, I tend to think its the people who voted liberal looking for someone to blame because they are mad at themselves. The liberals were never going to get elected so all these people effectively gave us this hung parliment now want to bleat on about it being everyone elses fault.

Hitby

Lock him up and throw away the key.

jassco

Distinguished Member
And in any case if it was Attempted Murder then does he not need a motive?

They lied to us 100% - not just a little bit, complete U turn.
Cameron ****s off to China to escape from it all .

Then a bit of a riot kicks off

I think you've provided a motive there.

I completely agree with what they were protesting about, and also didn't mind them vandalising things. But when it comes to something so stupid as to try and harm another person, then they deserve everything they get.

Oh, well that changes everything. Terrorists whose bombs fail to explode in a crowded area due to a malfunction, or if they do explode and fail to kill anyone should just be excused because nobody died. That's the whole point of attempted murder

bosque

Distinguished Member
It's doubtful a murder charge will stick unless he said to Plod, "Yes I intended to murder someone but missed". Intent or lack-of is likely to be the determining factor.

NewMan

That's why it's called attempted murder, not murder.

By your argument, if I was told I could take next week off work (no hope, by the way), then at the end of the week was told that I couldn't, if I threw a heavy object off the roof at my manager below, as long as he didn't die, I shouldn't be prosecuted?

nheather

Distinguished Member
That's why it's called attempted murder, not murder.

Even so, but it is a stupid charge. Murder has to be intended with aforethought and aimed at a specific person.

They would never be able to bring a charge of murder in this situation so it is pretty stupid calling it attempted murder.

Manslaughter, accidental death maybe but never murder.

Cheers,

Nigel

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Actually I'd charge him with being a complete and utter **** with a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison :D

DJT75

Distinguished Member
He'll get done for a lesser charge, I doubt he'll go to prison. Drink Drivers don't get charged with attempted murder after all.

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
It's a fire extinguisher, for God's sake!! :mad: Not a half brick. A pressurised cylinder full of nasty chemicals. It could have exploded and killed several people.

It's far worse than, say, a molotov cocktail, or even throwing a rock off a motorway bridge. It's not far off a terrorist bomb. An indiscrimate weapon like that easily justifies a charge of attempted murder. You do not have to target a specific victim.

Aaron D84

He'll get done for a lesser charge, I doubt he'll go to prison. Drink Drivers don't get charged with attempted murder after all.

Not attempted murder but they do get charged with other things such as death by dangerous driving or manslaughter.

I do agree he will get done for a lesser charge however i do also think he'll do some time inside. Someone somewhere will want him to be made an example off as to what you can't do at a protest.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
OTT? Are you kidding me? That could have killed someone quite easily! Smashing windows is one thing, but slinging fire extinguishes is quite dangerous. Yes, I know he didn't kill/harm anyone, but it was a near miracle it didn't hit anyone.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom