A bit of mountain biking, shot today...

Bristol Pete

Novice Member
Had a couple of hours in the woods at a local but secret MB track with multiple downhill tracks and jumps.

A selction of lenses used along with an SB800 which was set to manual at 1/8th power. Shot manually with various shutter speed and aperture to net what I was looking for from the shots. The bend pans could have been a stop slower but hey ho, first shoot with bikes in a long long time. These guys get some serious speed and some serious air.

Using flash, I also switched between first and second curtain to try some effects and applied the twist zoom technique on the odd pan.

Lastly, switched to cloudy white balance to bring out the browns and greens which was nicely lit by some diffuse light via the trees. Stumled upon a couple of mountain borders as well.....

Comments and questions welcome.

onefivenine

Novice Member
Nice set.
Is that a photoshop radial blur in the first and penultimate shots or are you travelling backwards very quickly while taking them?

springtide

Distinguished Member
Great set of photos Pete. I was looking at these earlier on Flickr as they were uploading..

I've been wondering when you were going to post them here, since I wanted to know where these were taken. But I see that it's a "secret" track.

I have a good idea of the area :) , but I don't recognise any of the trails :confused:

I've been wanting to take a trip over to Cwm Carn with the camera. Been there a few times with the bike, but haven't taken any photos. Cwm Carn has a great dedicated downhill track with some seriously big jumps.
http://www.mbwales.com/cwm_carn/index.htm
a video of the downhil track can be found at:
http://www.cwmdown.co.uk/mediavideo.php

But it looks like you've found somewhere closer to Bristol! :)

That bloke <other camera bloke> in #13 is nuts !

Love the set, looks like you had fun with some crazy people.

++ Would love to give it ago :smashin: ++

Bristol Pete

Novice Member
Great set of photos Pete. I was looking at these earlier on Flickr as they were uploading..

I've been wondering when you were going to post them here, since I wanted to know where these were taken. But I see that it's a "secret" track.

I have a good idea of the area :) , but I don't recognise any of the trails :confused:

I've been wanting to take a trip over to Cwm Carn with the camera. Been there a few times with the bike, but haven't taken any photos. Cwm Carn has a great dedicated downhill track with some seriously big jumps.
http://www.mbwales.com/cwm_carn/index.htm
a video of the downhil track can be found at:
http://www.cwmdown.co.uk/mediavideo.php

But it looks like you've found somewhere closer to Bristol! :)
Hi mate. To be honest, I went there with a friend. Its at the top of providence hill somewhere. They dont want it advertised to much as its getting busier with litter droppers etc....

lloydy53

Novice Member
Excellent shots! I followed the mountain bike championships for about 5 years and it's a difficult subject to capture.

But I think my bike will remain where it is, in the shed with flat tyres. Just where it's been for about 3 years now :rolleyes:

Artie Fufkin

Bristol Pete...I don't know much about photography techniques but I do know how to recognise a set of captivating pictures when I see them.

Fabulous stuff :thumbsup:.

Holowlegs

Hello there

Very nice Pete, some really great captures there.:thumbsup:

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

denno75uk

Zooming and panning in the same shot!?!? So not only an excellent eye AND mastery of the equipment, we can now add near super human dexterity to the mix.
Excellent.

D

danburbridge

Oh - man that brings place brings back memories - not been down the "still" for a couple of years - the dirt there is perfect when it dries out but is like treacle when its wet :)

Some good shots Pete - love the last table-top :)

I can imagine it being pretty tricky to shoot there - its really dark in those woods - even with the sun out but occasionally you get an unsheltered patch - which blinds you :eek:

Tobers

Super shots - I like the mix of action pics and the static "portrait" style shots. The zoom busts are great as well. Top stuff.

booyaka

very nice indeed - well done sir

dmx005

wow, really great shots.
makes me want to get my mountain bike out of storage after 2 years of hibernation!!

V

vulkan75

Very nice shots pete with some great technique...I particularly like the high jump ones over the small ravine:smashin:

Bristol Pete

Novice Member
Thanks all. You are far to kind and I get embarrassed by your comments as lovely as they are. There are many capable snappers on here and I think that the general standard here is probably the best there is online.

Thanks again.

Pete.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett