1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A bit of help for a newbie!

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by bushy30, May 17, 2005.

1. bushy30

bushy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I know I've come to find Tag very late on in its life.

But having got a PA10 and a 60P, to replace my old NAD (British built) pre and power, I think I've been converted :D

So could I ask for a little help -- I have an very old Cambridge CD3 CD player, sounded great at the time, and still does, but it's beginning to exhibit faults -- and I guess it's time for it to go.

So here's the rub, what do I get to replace it, especially as I like watching DVD's too, should I go for the Tag DVD player, or a Tag CD player?

The problem then is -- if I go for the DVD players what else am I going to need to go with it??

I know this all sounds a bit basic, and I really don't have pots of cash kicking around -- but it would be nice to have the advice of 'the experts' so I can plan a spending session (without her indoors knowing too much).

One last thing -- I really would like to be able to use my Ariston RD80SL Transcription deck, that's records for all you digital folk LOL not sure how that would work -- keep the PA10? output it to another amp input?? see I really need help :lease:

Cheers

Bushy

2. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In my experience which is certainly not up to the level of the "elders" of this forum, you will get exceptional CD reproduction from a TAg DVD player and as a bonus - you can also watch films!!

3. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Bushy

Go for a DVD32FLR from HiFi Bitz at £1199 and you'll get the best of both worlds! :thumbsup:

4. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Won't he need some sort of Digital to Analogue converter as well? DPA32/AV32?

5. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Be careful! If you want to use Tag drives for DVDs you need an external decoder for DD and DTS! Furthermore you have not a Scart output for the video (but wonderful component, S-video and composite) so I suggest you to take the manual on the Tag web site and try to figure out on how are you going to connect the driver in your actual system.

On the quality side, if you have a good decoder, the Tag DVD reader will give you great satisfactions both on DVD and CD and, if you go for a Tag processos as decoder (and plenty of other functionnalities) you will get the possibility to use the Tag Link and the sound quality that you are going to get will blow up any other CD reader in the same class of price of the DVD32FLR (and I mean ORIGINAL PRICE not the one you get now from HiFiBitz).

Wishing you a nice hunt!

Regards,

Lenny

6. Spen69

Spen69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, you will need a seperate DAC which is going to start to add up very very quickly. :eek:

My advice given the kit you've bought is to stick to an integrated cd player, or at best, a cheaper two box solution than the DVD32FLR. If you want to try the a/v route, buy a cheapish DVD player and a Yamaha DSP800 bolt on processor and go one step at a time.

The Tag integrated CD20R was pretty damn good and can be found on fleabay cheap enough. IAG will keep them serviced for a long time, or wait to see if the new Audiolab is going to be made in black to match your existing stuff. Of course there are plenty of integrated players out there, so it depends on your point of view about new vs s/hand, and if you want to limit yourself to one brand. The Tag players were very good, and would be my advice if you like the sound from the amps, but there are plenty of good machines from Arcam, Nad and just about 50 others for about £500.

Get yourself a demo booked of your shortlist is my advice!

Regards - Spencer

(see guys, I didn't get confused with the Red, Green & Blue video switching on this thread.... :D )

7. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PA10/ 60P is a cracking first time buy from TMA's old range and is well worth a look.

If budget is an issue, have a look at the Cambridge Audio 'Azure' 240D DVD - does lots of things, sounds reasonable as a CD player and even has DVD Audio.

8. bushy30

bushy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the time and effort in responding.

Especially to you Spen for not mentioning the unmentionable on the thread :D

OK so I'm minded to go for the TAG DVD -- now whats this about AV32, DPA32? what's the difference?

How would I be able to connect the 'ole' Ariston deck?

Thanks again, this is getting very interesting :thumbsup:

Bushy

9. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you would need an add on phono pre-amp to run a record deck on the AV32R.

10. bushy30

bushy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Rover,

This might sound a bit daft, but could I use the PA10 as a phono pre amp stage -- or would this be sacralidge?

Cheers

Bushy

11. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup, and for any extra inputs

12. bushy30

bushy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Groovy, thanks Rover.

So just whats this about AV32, DPA32?

Cheers

Bushy

13. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    The AV32 is the Tag Mclaren AV surround sound processor, which includes DAC (Digital to Analogue Convertors) to convert the digital sound signal from the TAG DVD player into analogue sound.

The DPA32 is a stereo only DAC/pre-amp.

For more info go here http://www.iaguk.com/tma/tmaindex.htm

14. bushy30

bushy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Groova,

Is it just me, I can't seem to find anything about the DPA models from the web site, though it does look like what I'll need will be the AV variety !

Cheers

Bushy

15. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    The AV is almost certainly a better long term option, and depending which version you get, it has the same DACs as the DPA32. Ebay usually has some AV32s up for sale. Sevenoaks Brighton are selling a couple of new ones for £1k.

16. eisenach

eisenach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm using a PA10 a phono pre-amp into an AV32R and it works fine.

17. bushy30

bushy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks all,

Off to look at the sevenoaks website :D

Bushy

Now all I need is the DVD ! groooooooovy

18. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    HifiBitz are still showing the DVD32FLR on their website you may be lucky enough to grab one, the price is worth it for the picture alone, usefully it plays CDs rather well too.

If you have the money the AV32R Dual Processor is a worth the extra just for the room equalisation (TMREQ) which typically gives quite astonishing improvements in the sound you can achieve. You need a PC with soundcard and a SPL meter to easily measure your room resonances and the TAGtronic programming lead to easily download the filters to the AV32DP.