a bit of advise building new pc

wynnwillo212

Ex Member
Reaction score
I am building a new pc. I havent built one for 5 years so i double checked all the parts and im sure that are compatible but i just would like someone to confirm for me

Galaxy Black Mid Tower Case with Blue Bubble Light LED Strip - 450W PSU 136491

Asus M4A785TD-V EVO Socket AM3 onboard DVI VGA HDMI 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard 169532

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 8MB L3 Cache 125W Retail Box Processor 186428

Samsung EcoGreen F2 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache - OEM 164282

LiteOn iHOS104 Blu-Ray Reader DVD-Rom Serial ATA Internal Black - Retail Box with CyberLink Software 172637

Crucial 2GB DDR3 1600MHz Ballistix Memory 1.65V CL8(8-8-8-24) Unbuffered Non-ECC 191172 X2 total 4gb of ram

Tenda Wireless-G PCI Adapter 132449

Toal cost is £450 this is without a graphics card. The board has inbuilt graphics 128mb so that will do for now, But i would like any recommendations for about £100 ish

The number at the end of the part titles is the quick search number from ebuyer.com

If there is anything i need that i have missed please advise

I hope someone can help :hiya:

This seems very simliar to the pc i am looking at building (my thread is a few down from yours).

I would highly recommend grabbing an ATI 4870 like this which is bang on your budget XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [HD-487A-YWFC ] Graphics and Video ATI HD 4870 Series

It is the one i will be buying when the time comes. Yes it is only dx10 and not 11 but for the next year or so i dont think it will matter a great deal and the dx11 cards that offer comparable frame rates to the 4870 are about 300 quid. You can of course get cheaper cards for about 140 quid such as the 5770 but they aint as fast as the 4870. So for the luxury of being dx11 compatible you have to pay 40 quid more and it wont be as fast. Its a no brainer to me. But each to there own. Hope that helps.

This seems very simliar to the pc i am looking at building (my thread is a few down from yours).

I would highly recommend grabbing an ATI 4870 like this which is bang on your budget XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [HD-487A-YWFC ] Graphics and Video ATI HD 4870 Series

It is the one i will be buying when the time comes. Yes it is only dx10 and not 11 but for the next year or so i dont think it will matter a great deal and the dx11 cards that offer comparable frame rates to the 4870 are about 300 quid. You can of course get cheaper cards for about 140 quid such as the 5770 but they aint as fast as the 4870. So for the luxury of being dx11 compatible you have to pay 40 quid more and it wont be as fast. Its a no brainer to me. But each to there own. Hope that helps.

nice one for that

is there anything else i need that i havent listed above ?

Last edited:
I guess if you plan to overclock the cpu then a cpu cooler/ fan may be required. I have also read that the majority of PSUs that come with cases arent really up to much and that you might want to consider buying a seperate case and psu but other than those two points it all looks good to me.

I have decided to buy this case Antec 300 Three Hundred Case - Ebuyer and then a PSU which i thought i had decided upon but now aint too sure. I want one that will give me enough power so about 500-600w, will last and most importantly is quiet. The one i had originally chosen in my builds doesnt seem to be quite the bargain i thought (noisey). So you may want to consider these points when you buy.

Last edited:
I guess if you plan to overclock the cpu then a cpu cooler/ fan may be required. I have also read that the majority of PSUs that come with cases arent really up to much and that you might want to consider buying a seperate case and psu but other than those two points it all looks good to me.

I have decided to buy this case Antec 300 Three Hundred Case - Ebuyer and then a PSU which i thought i had decided upon but now aint too sure. I want one that will give me enough power so about 500-600w, will last and most importantly is quiet. The one i had originally chosen in my builds doesnt seem to be quite the bargain i thought (noisey). So you may want to consider these points when you buy.

i like the case i chose and i think it and the psu will do for now. I have limited funds {£500 as im off work sick :(} i still havent managed to sell my dell xps m1330 but when i get a bit of money i was thinking of doing a lot of upgrading :D

Yep i can understand. I am kind of in the same boat trying to keep the build as cheap as possible. But the more i think about it the more i am coming round to the idea of spending a little extra on the case and psu. At the moment on my builds the case and psu will cost me about 55 quid but for 100 quid i can get a better case and psu that should last.

You see my reasoning is the case and psu are the backbone to any system and can possibly last a long time. The innards can be upgraded every two to three years or so but the case and psu could go on for ten years or more thus saving a lot of money when the time comes to upgrade. Not having to shell out on a case and power supply every time will save quite a bit in the long run.

The case and psu i want is £180 ehich is a massive difference i cant afford. If someone bought my laptop it wouldnt be a problem.:(

what site were u using to get your prices?

EDIT: just noticed it was ebuyer by the quick find codes

Last edited:
i have built my pc now

running great :thumbsup:

Even though i have just built it i will be upgrading now

64gb-128gb ssd to run the os and games from
1tb harddrive
ocz 4g gold 1600mhz
antec 900 case
artic power 700w psu
ati hd 5750 graphics card
corsair h50 cpu water cooler
blu ray/hd dvd drive

and thats about it for now :clap:

ps i will add pics tomorrow of what it looks like now and will post more pics when upgrades have been done

Last edited:
i have built my pc now

running great :thumbsup:

Even though i have just built it i will be upgrading now

64gb-128gb ssd to run the os and games from
1tb harddrive
antec 900 case
artic power 700w psu
ati hd 5750 graphics card
corsair h50 cpu water cooler
blu ray/hd dvd drive

and thats about it for now :clap:

ps i will add pics tomorrow of what it looks like now and will post more pics when upgrades have been done

great to hear uve finished the pc :) the h50 is good mate but beware mines is awating RMA cause it leaked :thumbsdow but corsair have been excellent with me :smashin:

i have heard of the h50 leaking and it does worry me a little bit as the full build inc upgrades will be about £1000

If it did leak and ruined my kit would i have any come back with corsair in regard to my whole build or just the h50 ?

i have heard of the h50 leaking and it does worry me a little bit as the full build inc upgrades will be about £1000

If it did leak and ruined my kit would i have any come back with corsair in regard to my whole build or just the h50 ?

when i was in the process of gettin my rma sorted out and they did completely replace a guys kit when the H50 leaked on it and broke it but im sure i did hear that they will only do that if they think it was a faulty product and not u that damaged the unit

not bad on corsairs behalf replacing the whole build. I guess it would be a lot of hassle

What happened to your h50 ?

Was it faulty when it arrived ?

not bad on corsairs behalf replacing the whole build. I guess it would be a lot of hassle

What happened to your h50 ?

Was it faulty when it arrived ?

i got it off the classifieds and it was great for about a month, then the temps started gettin pretty crap so i took it off a couple of times replaced the tims and that seems to die it down a bit, so then i got myself a new cpu and when i was installing it i bumped my hand on the bottom of the rad and it felt a bit damp, so then i put a dishcloth under it and took it out there fast and by the time i got it out one of the tubes had nearly completely tore off at the barb at the rad, contacted microdirect about gettin an RMA and they refused me twice so i directly went to corsair and they are replacing it no problem :smashin:

what kinda of watercooling mate? something like the h50? i have to say its by far the best on the market but for the amount of them that break is small to the volume corsair sell, and if your not in your computer pissin about and changing things all the time like i am i dont think you will have to worry about leaks mate

but if your worried still mate id say just get an equivalent high end air cooler or if you can fork out the £200 or so to get a custom loop then that will be the best option and it is superior by miles temps can be 10-20 cooler on load with a good custom loop

max temps ive seen under load is 57c idle 35c ish

i have ordered the antec 900 case and a fan controller which i can connect up to 6 fans. I might just stick to the air cooling for now and see if any more issues come up the the corsair h50 :thumbsup:

i have to many concerns putting water cooling in my pc as water+electricals=trouble {In my opinion}

Last edited:
max temps ive seen under load is 57c idle 35c ish

i have ordered the antec 900 case and a fan controller which i can connect up to 6 fans. I might just stick to the air cooling for now and see if any more issues come up the the corsair h50 :thumbsup:

i have to many concerns putting water cooling in my pc as water+electricals=trouble {In my opinion}

what cooler do you have? have you overclocked the cpu? and yeah i can understand the whole watercooling thing but a custom loop wont leak after u do a leak test for like 6 hours then it will be all good and all you have to do is replace the fluid every like 12 months and thats pretty strait forward

the antec 900 has great airflow, did you not see the 902? its only a tad more expensive but has better features and a bad ass black interior

Congrats on your build.

I personally would go for a noctua nh-d14.

It offers better performance than a h50.

The h50 is a decent cooler and gives temps associated with higher end air coolers, but there are better air coolers out there.

I did want a h50 at one point due to the look and the size as they take less space around the cpu area than say a monster like the noctua nh-d14, but ended up going to "proper" watercooling, and it was the best thing I done.

I'm cooling a phenom 965c3 and my temps don't go past 40c at 4ghz with 1.55volts.

With watercooling leaks can be prevented very easily.

If you go for 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs and use hose clamps the chances of a leak are next to none.

The only place you'll leak from is a faulty part, i.e a rad, or an acrylic res cracking etc as that size tubing with them barbs and clamps is as secure as you'll get.

Watercooling also isn't as difficult as it looks, I had the same concerns before about leaks etc and now I wouldn't go back to air.

You do know that most of the coolants out there are non conductive, so if you did leak you'll have no issue if you turn the pc off straight away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6R-4-zO_t8

Last edited:
I have just ordered noctua nh-d14 for £69 inc postage which is a bragain compared to everywhere else that is selling it :thumbsup:

Last edited:
my windows score

More details about my computer
Component Details Subscore Base score Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor 5.9 4.3 Determined by lowest subscore Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 5.9 Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4200 4.7 Gaming graphics 3195 MB Total available graphics memory 4.3 Primary hard disk 90GB Free (466GB Total) 5.9 Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
System Manufacturer System manufacturer Model System Product Name Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM System type 64-bit operating system Number of processor cores 4 Storage Total size of hard disk(s) 1397 GB Disk partition (C:) 90 GB Free (466 GB Total) Disk partition (D:) 69 MB Free (100 MB Total) Media drive (E:) CD/DVD Media drive (F:) CD/DVDCD/DVD Disk partition (G:) 189 GB Free (932 GB Total) Graphics Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 4200 Total available graphics memory 3195 MB Dedicated graphics memory 384 MB Dedicated system memory 0 MB Shared system memory 2811 MB Display adapter driver version 8.660.0.0 Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080 DirectX version DirectX 10 Network Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Network Adapter Ralink RT61 Turbo Wireless LAN Card

just waiting on nocua cooler, 1Tb samsung f2 harddrive and a fan controller

Just put another 4gb ddr3 1600mhz ocz gold in as well. Ram isnt half expensive £100+ for 4gb :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom