A bit of advice

montybaber

I am off to the NEC on Thursday to Crufts, will I be ok taking in my equipment and taking photos on a normal ticket?

I took a point and shoot l;ast year and that was ok but this year I am taking a DSLR 3 lenses, flashgun, tripod, etc, etc

Will I be ok?

md644

Don't know anything about Crufts, but I would doubt you could use a flashgun (would scare the dogs, probably). Not sure about the tripod either, it could/would get in the way of other people.

I can only suggest you check with the organisers before you go....

md644

You could try ISO1600 (or whatever the maximum of your camera is), maybe even set exposure compensation to -1 stop (=ISO3200). Shoot in RAW mode and see if you can retrieve the extra stop using exposure comp in reverse when converting.

Tried this with a D70 and while the shots were a little noisy it could be dealt with using NR in RAW conversion (I use Raw Shooter Essentials).

OK so you still may not get anything decent, but it's got to be worth a try?

lawrenso

Banned
Excuse my uneducated two penneth worth

What about the single point tripods (basically a pole)??

Cheers

Lawrenso

montybaber

Md644 thanks for the advice, I am going to risk my SB800 and see if anything gets said (I remember using inbuilt flash last year, can they discriminate between the two?) for the arena I was going to use my sigma 170-500 and as it is fairly slow I was going to pan with a slower shutter speed and experiment with ISO (I remember it being fairly dark last year).
Without my tripod it is'nt even worth taking the semi-bigma as trying to handhold at 500mm would be shake city at all but the fastest shutter speeds.

Lawrenso I may have got away with that but TBH I think the staff would class it as a tripod even if I argued about the space it takes up, I have also just spend £150 on my new tripod and the missus would go mad if I asked for a mono:nono: :)

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
how about buying a cheap walking stick and mounting a tripod mount on the top of it somehow (woodwork, superglue). Stealth monopod!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
lawrenso said:
Excuse my uneducated two penneth worth

What about the single point tripods (basically a pole)??

Cheers

Lawrenso

Otherwise known as a "Monopod".

md644

Another thought - what about a "beanbag"? (as used by wildlife photographers).

See this link:

http://nature-photography.co.uk/Grippabags.htm

Assuming there's something (handrail/chair, low wall etc) solid to rest the camera/lens on, put the beanbag on this, the rest/brace the lens on this. Combined with high ISO you might just get away with using your long lens....?

Pink Fairy

There may be problems if you look like a 'pro' at these events, small compacts get looked upon differently to big cameras and big lenses.

Commercial cinematography and television equipment may only be used at Crufts® if a permit has been issued by the Organisers. There are also certain restrictions on the use of cameras for still photography and private video films. Full details of these and filming permits may be obtained from the Press Office, Crufts®, 1-5 Clarges Street, Piccadilly, London W1J 8AB.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom