a bit of advice

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by jelly, Sep 10, 2004.

1. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hi guys bought a liteon dvd -+/+-rw drive but am having a little trouble backing up a few films using a sony dvd-rw i have copied a film plays fine on my pc but my dvd player wont even entertain it???i think the model is a 8x dvd dual drive. thanks in advance also on tuesday ill be upgrading my pc to a 64 bit 3200 and a new mobo a msi k8t neo and 512 of kingston ram, now with me replacing the mobo ill need to reinstall windows right???? but my problem is thatim quite far through far cry and doom and rtcw as well as cod is there a way of saving these games??? ta

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    I'm having the same problems with my sony on DVD-R playback:( I just get the disc dirty prompt with every make of disc I have tried. Check your manual for supported disc formats as I can use DVD-RW fine so I'm using these to back any films up I have until I feel I want to up date my dvdp.
    As to your upgrade I'd advise getting an extra 512MB (1024mb total)of ram if you can afford it since modern games are very memory hungry. A fresh install is necessary with a mobo upgrade but make sure you back up all your data before formatting your hard drive. In my last upgrade I just bough a new HD and left all the old data on the other HD so I could access it for data I might of overlooked. Once I was happy I had everything I needed off it I formatted and now use it as a second HD. You should be able to find all your game save files on your hard drive which you can copy and use to over write the game save file on your new install. You should then be able to start from where you left off:)

3. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Good point of Hawklords about getting a new hard drive given the relatively low costs these days coz no matter how much you think you've backed all your data up there's always something important you'll miss. At least i did.
    Game saves are quite easy to back up from the installtion directory "Save Game" folders are usually quite easy to track down.
    Regards your disc errors it could be down to media used. Some makes are just not compatible on playback on certain players.

Panic

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    I've personally tried about five different makes but none are usuable from the cheapest to high cost branded discs:(
    CD-RW's work fine though but it's a pain 'cause they are only 2x write iirc.