A bit lost on my new build....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dr_mabuse, Mar 8, 2006.

1. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Got my Asus A8N VM CSM mATX board and a nice Aspire Q-Xpack chassis to put it in today :smashin: All is well with the motherboard in terms of fitting the CPU, Heatsink, Ram to it, but I am confused by a couple of the connectors:

The case fan wire splits into a 4pin "male" white block connector (looks like a molex power connector that you'd put into the back of a hard drive etc) and a socket "female" white block connector - but the CSM board's connection for the chassis fan is one that looks like jumper pins. How does the block connector fit to the board? Am I going to have to scrap the fan and buy another?

The front panel has an LED which displays temps from the two probes supplied, but it also has a black/red 4 pin power connector coming out - where does this connect? And what should I use to fix the probes in position?

Sorry if I haven't explained clearly enough but any Q-Pack owners / CSM users out there who can help with some advice?

thanks

dr_m

2. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Just plug the fan into one of the PSU cables - it doesn't need to connect to the motherboard at all.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    I just built a PC with the same case. The case fan connector just daisy chains with the rest of the power connectors. The same applies to teh power connector for the temp LCD. So, just connect the fans connector to one of the power connectors out of the PSU. Then daisy chain it to a hard disk, DVD or even the temp LCD.

I just used brown tape to attach the temperture wires to the heatsink and hdd. You will find the temps to be a little out depending on where you place the wires. The hdd wire is accuarte but put the cpu wire close to the centre of the heatsink as possible.

I also had to fit both the ATX connector and the four pin power connector to make it boot up.

This is what mine looks (non window version).

http://www.apah20.dsl.pipex.com/newcomputer/computer.jpg

4. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks guys - I'll proceed onward.... :rolleyes:

Any other things I should check before powering on??

dr_m

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Make sure you have the front panel LED's (power,hdd etc) the right way round. If you don't, you will get no lights. So, I would power on at first without the cover on. I would also then check the bios straight away. My DDR400 memory was not running at full speed and had to be adjusted.

6. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    nwgarratt
    Ironically enough I was about to recheck everythign as the LEDs on the front are not working - you must be a mind reader! :smashin:

The only other thing I think I've done a Homer on is Sound - I assumed I could use onboard sound (as I am not using this machine for anything other than surfing, dvd encoding and the odd mpeg playback etc etc - no hifi pretensions in other words).

The little speaker beeps and chirps with errors or keyboard mistakes, but there is no sound on music or movie playback. I have connected the cable from my Optical drive but a CD playback is still silent.

Do I need a separate sound card then? :oops:

dr_m

Edit
    I just booted and checked in BIOS - can't see where I need to check my memory speed - can you calrify? Ta.

7. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Right-click my computer, manage devices, click device manager, find your cd/dvd rom and right click, properties, properties tab, select "enable digital output from this device" (or something similar sounding).

Other thing might be you don't have audio decoders properly setup.

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    I still have the power led the wrong way round. I have left it as I have a internal memory card reader which also has a power led on all the time. I don't need two power lights next to each other.

To check memory speed look at chipset configuration. My DDR400 was set to auto speed which defaulted to DDR266. I had to select DDR400 in the options.

I do have a sound card but I got it working before with the onboard sound. Make sure you have it activated in the bios and load the RealTek audio drivers. Also, make sure you have Direct X installed as that can affect audio.

9. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    OK thanks - I've checked in Chipset in my BIOS and it does seem to be set to Auto. The options didn't seem to list DDR400 memory (which is what I have installed) - unless I was looking in the wrong place? Sorry to ask for hand-holding but which exact sub menu and setting do I need to check? :suicide:

I did have onboard audio enabled and am currently downloading realtek drivers to try and get audio working. In control panels / Sound it says No device installed, but I guess its looking for a separate card?

I'll get the drivers installed and see what happens.

dr_m

10. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Edit - got the sound working! :thumbsup:

Just need to verify Memory speed now - I have looked at the manual (defeatist I know :thumbsdow ) and I think what I need to check is under Chipset in Memclock Mode, which is currently Auto. I think (if i've read it right) I need to set that to 200 so that my DDR400 memory is running at full whack - is that correct?

dr_m

11. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190

That's right. DDR400 runs at 200mhz.

For some reason I didn't even think off that youwould have a different motherboard to mine. I just checked my bios. Memory clock is in cpu configuration not chipset. Memory clock is then changed to 200mhz (DDR400). I have also set the onboard graphics to 128MB of the system memory (I havd 2GB RAM).

12. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    nwgarratt
    Different mobo but same end mate - I have set mine to 128mb onboard also! I also have 2GB total. :D

The cooler is starting to settle in now and I have to say I'm well pleased - the thing absolutely flies compared to my old Athlon XP2400 system. Even simple stuff like web page redraws are instantaneous (almost) now.. and as for downloading with Grabit - holy smokes! :thumbsup: I didn't expect much performance increase there as I assumed it was down to your broadband bandwidth but watching those six concurrent downloads threads zipping across the screen is quite mesmerising!!

Thanks very much for all your valuable help - makes forums like these the valuable resource we all hope they are. :smashin:

dr_m

13. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    No problem. :)

I upgraded from a AthlonXP 2000 and 512MB RAM. I was starting to notice is was getting bogged down speed wise and then it stopped working. It was a sign to upgrade. :)