A bit depressed!

JG1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Thought id share this with you and see if anyone can cheer me up! I have recently thought about upgrading my PC and then i thought whats the point - i cant get into any games at all at the moment!

I know there are some huge fans of games like Crysis in the forums and i know it must seem odd but i downloaded the demo and just didnt enjoy it. Thought about getting the Orange Box but then again i didnt really enjoy HL2 as much as i should have done (maybe i was expecting too much) but i think a persons taste in games is formed pretty early on in their gaming experiences if that makes any sense.

Just finished World in Conflict which was good but lasted nowhere near as long as it should have even on hard and am thinking about getting Gears of War but am a bit put off by all of the errors and bugs im being told about.

Am i (at 33) getting too old for gaming already? :suicide:

Nope, I've been wasting aliens and others since 1983 when I got my BBC and played Elite till I was Elite, I'm 40 in March ans I still enjoy shooting things. I'm currently playing GRAW2 and then will play FEAR. I work with a bloke who is 54 and likes nothng more than shooting at things as well.

Beaker

I am also 33. I have enjoyed this year COD4, Command and Conquer 3, Bioshock, Crysis, Medal of Honour. All these games had me hooked and engrossed. Gears of War is great fun in coop but once you have completed it, it has limited replay unless you like the online gaming side (deathmatch).

I can thoroughly recommend CoD4 :)

Hi :hiya:

If i were you i would invest in COD4 and sail through the single player game and then start online! I was a HUGE CS gamer for years but did eventually get bored with it and gave up. I dont know what ur favorite genre of game is, but seeing as you have tried crysis and HL2 and were dissapointed, give COD4 a try. It is much more realistic (which i prefer in a game) and there are many different types of game available (team games, free-for-all etc)

although I am a PS3 man, a mate has COD4 on PC and is totally in love with it (in a very unhealthy way :rotfl: ).

I'm no PC expert, but before you upgrade, spend a mere £30 (or maybe less if u hunt around) and im pretty sure you'll fall in love with gaming once again.

dont give up!! 2008 looks like a good year for gaming so it wont be long until youll obsessed and phoning in sick.........:smashin:

im a bit odd, my enjoyment of a game is also relative to how much i pay for it!

http://www.game.co.uk/PC/Action/Shooter/~r332017/Gears-of-War/

personally, I have had no issues with gow since the patch, but of course people still talk of the save game bug, so im waiting to see how that goes.

bioshock is a must own. I would also suggest PES 2008 and sega rally if you like arcade racing and footy games. again, get them cheap, we get as much fun as the ps3/360 owners but pay a fraction of the price, i like that :D

i didnt think too much of crysis either....

im 32 btw:rolleyes:

Or instead of having to spend hundreds of pounds every year upgrading your PC just buy a games console and save yourself lots of money.

Or instead of having to spend hundreds of pounds every year upgrading your PC just buy a games console and save yourself lots of money.

save yourself lots of money........... by paying the best part of £50 a game for a console, that won't look anywhere near as good as its PC counterpart :rolleyes:

save yourself lots of money........... by paying the best part of £50 a game for a console, that won't look anywhere near as good as its PC counterpart :rolleyes:

Agreed. I play my consoles far less than I play with my pc.

at the moment 360/PS3 games look nearly as good as PC games. Of course PC games do look better but no where near like when HL2 was out and you had the games on the orginal xbox and ps2 to compare them to.

at the moment 360/PS3 games look nearly as good as PC games. Of course PC games do look better but no where near like when HL2 was out and you had the games on the orginal xbox and ps2 to compare them to.

AA and AF are fully customizable on PC, not to mention resolution

Thought id share this with you and see if anyone can cheer me up! I have recently thought about upgrading my PC and then i thought whats the point - i cant get into any games at all at the moment!

I know there are some huge fans of games like Crysis in the forums and i know it must seem odd but i downloaded the demo and just didnt enjoy it. Thought about getting the Orange Box but then again i didnt really enjoy HL2 as much as i should have done (maybe i was expecting too much) but i think a persons taste in games is formed pretty early on in their gaming experiences if that makes any sense.

Just finished World in Conflict which was good but lasted nowhere near as long as it should have even on hard and am thinking about getting Gears of War but am a bit put off by all of the errors and bugs im being told about.

Am i (at 33) getting too old for gaming already? :suicide:

Blimey reading that was like deja vu. Exactly how my gaming was feeling until......... i upgraded last month and bought COD4.

Edit: I'm 34 and both HL2 and Crysis didn't really do a lot for me either ;) it's nothing to be ashamed of i'm told. apparently there are support groups for it :)

I found a new lease of life with gaming when I starting playing real time strategy and mmo's. I had never touched these types of games because I thought they were too complicated to be enjoyable, but after trying them, I found that what I thought was complicated was actually depth, and this has transformed my gaming enjoyment.

I am currently playing Tabula Rasa and can highly recommend it, I would also try Company of Heroes.

I'm 33 and still into gaming... I play in a clan on Tabula Rasa and they are all aged between 33 and 40 so NO, you are not too old to play games! :thumbsup:

Perhaps you need to change the way you play.

I've had the same experience as you. In my teens I used to love gaming. I got thoroughly engrossed in it, loved every second and it never felt a chore.

Nowadays (in my exceptionally late 20's... :|) I struggle to get absorbed in even the best games. I get home from work, there's a ton of housework to do, then I sit in front of the box and can't motivate myself to go to the office and fire up the PC when I'm tired and comfy on the sofa.

I've had consoles, but the only chance to play them in the lounge is when the Missus is out of the way. Otherwise it's off to the office again.

My solution is in progress. First of all I've got a super comfy sofa bed coming for the spare room / office. That way I'll be able to lounge in comfort and still play games without having to hunch over a desk in an office chair. I intend to make the room a nicer environment to be in, rather than just a spare box room that 'stuff' and guests get dumped in.

Secondly I've ordered a (slightly expensive) laptop, so that I can play the same games on the sofa (plus watch all my movies that get downloaded but never watched) while the other-half engrosses herself in the TV. That way even if I'm having a CBA day, I can still keep myself involved.

I'm not saying my solution is for you, but my general plan is to make it as easy as possible to slip into a gaming session, rather than slipping into watching shoddy TV.

Blimey reading that was like deja vu. Exactly how my gaming was feeling until......... i upgraded last month and bought COD4.

Edit: I'm 34 and both HL2 and Crysis didn't really do a lot for me either ;) it's nothing to be ashamed of i'm told. apparently there are support groups for it :)

LOL i thought i was the only one!

Regarding COD4 i did download the demo but didnt feel an overwhelming urge to buy the game - maybe i will give it another shot!

im a bit odd, my enjoyment of a game is also relative to how much i pay for it!

http://www.game.co.uk/PC/Action/Shooter/~r332017/Gears-of-War/

personally, I have had no issues with gow since the patch, but of course people still talk of the save game bug, so im waiting to see how that goes.

bioshock is a must own. I would also suggest PES 2008 and sega rally if you like arcade racing and footy games. again, get them cheap, we get as much fun as the ps3/360 owners but pay a fraction of the price, i like that :D

i didnt think too much of crysis either....

im 32 btw:rolleyes:

I loved Bioshock! Played and completed twice, cheers for your opinion on GOW - it may be purchased soon!!

2 very out of date statements in one sentence there.. I haven't paid more than £30 for a new release game for PS3 or 360 for a very long time, things have changed i.e. online buying/importing/vouchers etc etc. The net cost of a console game can be very little indeed if you buy it and sell it on when you've finished with it (£5 - £10 tops).
Also you aren't factoring in the extra expense of the PC over the cost of a console , if you're buying a PC for gaming instead of a console then let's say for arguments sake you spend £700 on a good spec PC that will play games at a comparable level to a PS3 or 360, that's £400 extra expense there straightaway, takes a lot of £10's saved on PC games to make up that £400! that's not taking into account that you'll have to spend another few hundred quid over the course of it's lifespan making sure it can play the latest games. And to say console games won't look anywhere near as good as it's PC counterpart, sure on a top spec rig that hardly anyone can afford but COD4 on PS3 looks absolutely stunning and runs as smooth as silk.

I too would be depressed if I was a PC gamer these days

Well its always a bit of a risk bearing your soul but i thoroughly enjoyed reading the responses given guys! (not sure if that includes the second one)

Its also great to hear that the average age of my fellow gamers seems to be in the thirties and that most of you as do i have to wait for the missus to be out!

So you are saying that if I buy a pc for £300, the graphics will be as good as a 360 or ps3 and also, I will be able to play all of the latest pc games at full res?

Also, only a mug goes to HMV or Virgin and pays £50 for a console game...

I get the same feeling for new PC games at times and being older now (35) I don't go for the same type of games as I think my taste might have matured along with myself.

Now I find I don't have the hours on end to play games so prefer those I can pickup and play in short bursts.

Got Pro Evo on my laptop that I can take with me and looking at UT3 or orange box for the desktop. Only other games I have played on a regular basis have been some MMO's (mainly CoV and EVE)

Well I'm also 30 and I've got back into PC gaming due to upgrading my system (you really do get a lot more enjoyment out of games when you can turn the eye candy on!) and having a 10 month old son means that it's easier for me to play on the PC than on my consoles where the main TV and 5.1 setup is.

I've had that apathy in the past too, the last time was once I'd completed Deus Ex and nothing else came close. It took a few years before I could be bothered to see if there was anything else that tickled my fancy. However, 2007 was a great year for PC gaming (COD4 and The Orange Box should really be in your collection), but if you're bored of shooters try The Witcher or Sam and Max: Season One both of which also have demos.

I'm 46 and still enjoy shooting things and driving whilst drunk ..... on the PC of course :D I intend to be immature all my life :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom