A big THANK YOU! to AV Forums and its members

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ahh, May 19, 2004.

1. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

I have finally purchased and installed my first AV system.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone who put up with newbie questions and advised on various issues.

My final system comprises of the following:

AV Receiver: Denon 3805
    DVD Player: Denon 2900
    Plasma: Panasonic TH-42PWD6 (component board)
    Front & Center Speakers: Monitor Audio Radius R180
    Surround Speakers: Monitor Audio Radius R90
    Subwoofer: BK Electronics XLS 200
    Other equipment: Sky+, PS2 and an old Panasonic VHS

I am very happy with the performance of the system and am still discovering home cinema. Didn't realise that it could be so much fun watching movies at home!

I was aprehensive about two things: 1. The Subwoofer and 2. Whether the system would be musical.

I love the subwoofer. I have never owned one before, but had had a demo of the Rel Q150. The quality and performance of the BK XLS 200 is beyond my expectations.

The musicality of the system is unfortunately below my expectations, but then again perhaps I was expecting too much :) . In the meantime, if anyone can advise on how to get the most out of the system musically, I would be most grateful.

I am still playing around and getting to know the system and will post some pics in the "LCD and Plasma" section of the forum in a few days once my furniture is installed.

Once again a big thanks to all of you!

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Im really glad you are happy with the advice from peeps on here and are happy with your system :clap: Im assuming that the money you spent on your system that you have wired it up with decent interconnects not bell wire and freebee's :eek: lol Have you tried the direct stereo mode on the amp for stereo? Also how long have you been running it for as speakers/cables and amps need 'running in time' to get the best from them. If this doesnt help then there are a few options:
    1/ better, more musical H/C amp
    2/ Wire in a stereo amp for the front speakers (many threads on here about that)
    3/ Buy a dedicated CD player.
    4/ Live with it.

:smashin:

3. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, pretty impressive first system that many would love to have. Looks like you've got yourself deep into this AV thing!

4. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

You've got a great "starter" system there, I remember when I first started getting into "home cinema", I had a 25" 4:3 stereo tv, a panasonic nicam vcr all hooked up to my stereo hi-fi... and I thought it was AMAZING :eek: :laugh:

For the musical upgrade, I'd look into Dfour's 2nd suggestion if I were you, as he says, there's plenty of info on the forums about it and alot of people have had some very good results, worth a bit of research methinks.

Untill then, stick a copy of your favourite movie into the dvd player.... and enjoy :smoke: :thumbsup:

Regards,
    Iain.

5. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, thanks for all your comments.

I would love to wire in a stereo amp for the front speakers. Do I need to split the speaker cables, or connect the stereo amp's speaker output to the receiver's speaker output?

I wouldn't want to blow the receiver. I have an old Audiolab 8000A amplifier and an old Arcam Alpha CD player, which I think still sounds fantastic.

So, how do I integrate the old with the new? If there are existing threads, would you please point me to the correct ones?

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The key thing you need so that you can attach a stereo amp is some preouts on your 3802 so take a look at the back or in the manual.

If they're there then you connect a stereo interconnect from the 3802 to any input on your stereo amp and wire your silver 8is off the stereo amp. Then you'll need to setup your AV volumes again.

I use this setup too for the best of both AV and hifi worlds. I move the volume on my stereo amp to a specific point when using the AV (the point where I set up the AV amp's volumes etc).

I wouldn't say you need any specific amp or cd player - just get the best for the money you want to pay.

Good luck, I hope you have the preouts!
    Alos connect CD to stero amp not to 3802, I am pretty sure 3802 has preouts for fronts if not all channel

I have ripped this of a thread callled add a stereo amp to my 3802. Do a search for 'stereo amp' in this forum and you will find all the info you need. :lesson:
    Thanks to Neil Porter and Hornydragon for the above info :clap:

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +326
    I was frustrated with the AVR3802's stereo performance. I can confirm that it has pre-outs for all channels so the addition of a stereo integrated amp is easy and gives real benefits to music listening imo. I bought an Arcam integrated (A75+) with an av in function that allows the av receiver to control the gain (so no messing about with two volume controls). An integrated amp and the addition of a designated cd player (over a dvdp) gives much improved stereo performance. I also added an extra power amp (p80) so I could bi-amp my fronts for even more beneficial results.
    Now I'm happy as the AVR3802 is great with movies and the A75+/P80 combo handles all my music requirements (coupled with my Naim CD5i) giving me the best of both worlds :smashin:

8. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am with you.

I definitely would love to hook up my CD Player and amp. Just don't know how to do it. Please tell me how to connect it all up.

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Do a search for 'stereo amp' in this forum and you will find all the info you need. :smashin: