1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A big hello (Cos Im new:) ) And a broken BD800

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Blighty_Boy, Dec 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blighty_Boy

Blighty_Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello im really happy I found this place, I came lookin nearly 2 years ago when I got my BD800 but I could only find AVSforum which is very good but being american means I have to wait for our friends to get out of bed for a reply if I post from work :rolleyes: .

Anyway I have a broken BD 800 here are the symptoms

1) There was a quiet pop

2) The picture went off immediately

3) The projector remained on and still comes on if I wish (but no picture)

4) I can still here the line transformer (or what ever creates that super high pitch tone from any CRT, TV's and PJ's alike) furthermore I can here it go off for a sec and come back on (as per usual) when I change modes ie between 1 (composite) and 5 (RGB)

5) I cant display anything not even the internal # pattern

6) My error light on my Control unit is lit up

7) the red led is lit up on the 3 rd pull out card as is the 1st green led on the 5th pull out card

8) Most importantly the 8 th card with the cluster of LED's is all lit except for the fourth one along bearing in mind that it is ceiling mounted also the 2nd one along on the second row is lit quite dimly

9) The PJ now turns it self on from standby randomly (SPOOOKY)

10) I pulled oout the Power card (number 7) and one of the pins in one of the corners was tarnished ie getting to hot i cleaned it up

I understand electronic terms so feel free to get technical (ish) if there are any usual suspects ie caps that blow or transistors I should check please let me know :)

PS I have a sneaking suspicion it is a problem with the Power supply but please any suggestions welcome

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Blighty a big welcome to you.
    Sounds like its going into scan fail bit the Red LED on the cluster of eight is not lit.
    So could be splitter or quadrupler to check.
    Right at the very back of the projector next to the fans is a small black board with a bit of white lettering at right angles to the rest. (the board not the writting, but that does mean writting too, you get my drift) It is attached with two silver slotted screws.
    Look through the holes in the board is there a red LED on when it does the above?

3. Blighty_Boy

Blighty_Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume you mean the black plate with the X radiation warnning on it (I 'll still be able to have kids after doing this right ????? ;) )
    Ive just had a good look through the 2 holes above the writing (If you know what I mean) and could see no lights up there

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    There is loop circuit in all barcos to protect it from powering up fully if a card is damaged or missing. I suspect either the vertical or hirzontal baords are causing this issue. Doen't mean it's not the powr board yet.

5. Blighty_Boy

Blighty_Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got an osscilloscope and a multimeter are their any of the usual suspects I can take a quick reading from ????? i might be able to find this fault yet :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.