1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Big Big Thankyou!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paul D, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Following the line "Give credit where credits due"...

First up to Gordon Fraser of Convergent AV.......THANK YOU!!! :)

Gordon went out of his way to get my Quadscan Elite returned to Owl to have the filter removel mod done. He then had the QSE sent direct to him to make sure everything was ok. He then sent it back to me at he's own expense (bloody expensive sending insured goods).

Result:- The picture is much sharper and i'm glad i had it done.

Second up is Roland of B4 projection.......THANK YOU!!! :)

Roland travelled all the way from Reading to Manchester to fix just two small capacitors in my Barco 808s. I had asked him to leave it until he was coming north anyway(I could still use the projector). But he said he would prefer to just come up and do it, in case i might have ended up waiting a week or so!(I feel soooooo guilty).
    But thats not what the "thankyou" is for. I'm thanking Roland for totally resetting the whole PJ up, after i've managed to lose half the setting and adjustments over the coarse of the last few months.

Result:- With the combination of the modded QSE, and Rolands absolute attention to detail. Just when i thought i had the best picture possible, Wow! i had no idea!.
    I can honestly say that i would now be proud for any forum member to see my "new" image. The clarity and sharpness is stunning, meaning film grain will now be my new bug bear!. I will be taking some new screenshots this weekend, which will include some tougher material ie no toy story/ Gladiator (which i've done in the past).
    Any suggestions for screenshots will be greatfully received (assuming i own the film!)

I know i've said it before, but if you can make the space for a CRT projector you will never look back!.

I'm one very happy bunny :D :p :D

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I like happy endings.:)

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Great stuff. :) Me next, me next. :D

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,069
    Sounds great Paul.

Can't wait to arrange this visit.

5. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Phil, your visit is definitely on!

I did have some small doubts before that although good, my image needed a little extra sharpness. Well it now has it in spades!

I'm now ready to invest more time with my HTPC, to get the very best picture etc.(once ATi sorts out the gamma issue with my 8500 vga card)

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Paul,

Not sure what you have tried with the 8500...

With the latest drivers the only setting in which gamma is not broken is 1. Try brightness at 16, contrast at 105 and the rest at defaults. Works for me.

Jeff

7. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

Did you get the Fan mod too? Can we have a 'review'?

Cheers

Nick

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Nick.
    I will be giving a full review of the fan mod in a couple of weeks.
    So far, Roland has installed the new fans and some other parts (i will have to ask Roland how much i should disclose at this point etc). He will finish the mod when he next visits to install a new part in my power supply.
    The new fans sound much smoother(less rattles), and are passing much more air for about the same/or slightly less overall noise. Once the new part is fitted the fans will be going much slower for about the same or slightly less amount of airflow "pre mod" etc.
    You ought to see the length he goes to when running the new mod wires. Soldering all connections and fitting tiny gromets and joint seals. You can tell he's ex Barco by the way he uses Barco spec wiring!.

And yes Roland still has some skin left on his nuckles....... but "i" will never play the Piano again!!! :D (Just kidding, we were lucky with my fans coming off easily)

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Can I also add a thank you to Alan @ OWL. In the US this mod seems to be charged. OWL chose to carry it out as a warranty issue FOC. Thanks

Paul, It wasn't a problem. Glad it's all back on track. I too will be coming by to have a look......please.

Gordon

10. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Yes i would also like to include Alan Roser in the thanks. I didn't want to mention that the mod was done under warranty in case mine was a "one off" freebie etc! :D .

Alan wasn't so sure that the mod would make that much difference, but was still happy to try it. But i would go as far to say that it not only sharpened the picture, but also improved saturation/picture depth.
    Of course this improvement may have all been down to the new focus board Roland fitted!. Either way i don't care as the picture is great :p .

I have spent tonight taking nearly 75 screen shots!.(god i didn't realise so many films had sooooo much grain!)

I've included some screen shots of the Avia test patterns first, to help people get a rough calibration guide to my setup.(brightness/contrast levels etc)

I used Kodak Gold Ultra 400 speed film, in a standard Olympus 35mm instant camera. I left the flash off, and just set the "auto timer" trigger. The camera was sat on a pair of step ladders. (couldn't get hold of a tripod)

I will be getting the films put straight onto a Photo CD, as i think their scanners will be better than my Umax flatbed scanner!.

Films used were:-
    Matrix R2
    Crouching THD Superbit R1
    For Gordon......Breast shots of Drew Barrymore(i've got a thing for her at the moment!) in Charlie Angels R2
    Some other shots from Charlies Angels! R2
    Terminator 2 SE R1
    I know I know!, i said no shots from Toy Story but they look so good...
    So Toy Story 2 R2
    And no screen shots would be complete without.........Bugs Life!!! R2

I will then post the pictures to my Yahoo photos page for scrutiny... :rolleyes:

I expect the pictures will be pulled apart by certain individuals, but as ANYBODY who has tried to do screen shots will understand. You just cannot get the level of detail on offer over to the camera!. But here's hoping

I will put a post up as soon as i've done it.:)

11. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Well the films went into Max Speilmanns today. (to be put on a photo cdrom)

I should be picking them up on Thursday. So all being well they should be on my Yahoo photo site Thursday evening.

God i hope they come out alright after all this effort!. If they don't, i will not be trying again!.

If they do come out alright, i may retake some of them but this time using my HTPC. (to see any differences between the Quadscan etc)

12. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great to hear about the mod for the Quadscan Elite.

I have a Quadscan Pro V2.50, is there a mod for this?

Appreicate any pointers.
    Regards

Nathan

13. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Nathon,
    As far as i am aware, the Pro2.50 doesn't have these filters in the first place.
    I think they were added to the Quadscan Elite due to some D-ILA owners having problems with interference, with the higher video frequencies.
    I hope Gordon Fraser will now drop in and either comfirm this, OR NOT!. :D

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Think Paul is right here. There are some mods for Pro's I seem to remember but probably for end of the line ones where they may have been adding filters just before Elite came out. I'll need to chek all those piles of web pages I have saved onmy laptop....

There are certainly software updates available for Pro's to get them syncing faster when swwapping inputs or TV standards.

Gordon

15. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul and Gordon

Thanks for the input await with interest info on the software.

Regards

Nathan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.