A Big 50" Lg

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by tpm45, Mar 12, 2006.

1. tpm45

tpm45
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Saw this 50" LG Plasma in Curry's for £2900, anyone got an opinion on this make,I always thought they were at the cheaper end of the market.

I have now been told that all LG stuff is made by Harmon Kardon. Not sure if this is true, or the other way about.

Not thatAV bright so would appreciate any opinions from out their. Thanks in advance.:smashin:

2. g852

g852

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i wouldn't have thought LG stuff is made by anyone other than themselves. They are one huge company. Not sure though as there are a limited number of companies that manufacture panels.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    LG are huge Korean comglometerate Harman Kardon a smallish US based electonics manufacturer £2900 there are much better 50" plasmas for less and bit more if you have sky/cable/freeview and a surround sound/ stereo system then ath Panasonic 50PHD8 will knock spots of the G and is £2.5k here http://www.digisaurus.co.uk/site/product.asp?section=3&cat=5&sub=9&prod=291

4. TVplease

TVplease

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horny Dragon, apart from the PHD50, which 50" plasmas would you recommend as being better for less than this LG? Ideally a TV rather than a panel.

:)

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Pio 506FDE can be had for similar money (£2800ish) also the new Panny TV model, not sure on prices but why not a panel?

6. TVplease

TVplease

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have a surround system, and my room really doesnt lend itself to one. I also get the impression that for normal tv viewing(which will be 90% of its use), regular front speakers are probably better.

I mean I wouldnt write off a panel at the right price, but by the time you add the necessary boards, speakers, amp etc to a (Circa) £2800 panel (AV Sales) Its going to be over £3k.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    But still alot better..... it must be an odd room to take a 50" but not 5.1 I know some rooms are like that.......In which case take a look at the 50" Panny TV variant, Fujitsu are the best 50" but well over budget, £3,400 will get you a fujitsu but you still need speakers...........

8. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +322
    I've been looking for a 50" for a while. I have 5.1 but want my plasma to have speakers so my family can use the screen as a tv and not have to fire up loads of bits of kit just to watch Charlie & Lola...also a bit OTT watching the poker channel in 5.1.

I was also interested in having a seperate media box to ease the use of the screen for my family and stop the need for many wires going up the wall to the screen.

I was hoping my spend was going to be around £3k.

Here are my thoughts after months of flaffing around..

1. I'm not going to buy from Currys or Dixons. Generally they know nothing but have all the lip...also very poor aftersales, just do a search on here. There are a number of people who post on here who know their stuff and offer great after sales. I've used av-sales previously and they've been great. Liam from progressive-av is a very nice bloke and knows his stuff ..just depends where you're based.

2. In my opinion the only screens worth looking at are Fuji, Panny and Pio.

A Fuji with delivery, speakers, wall mount and seperate av box( 3 RBG scarts, component, HDMI etc) will roughly set you back £3.7k'ish This is a rather nice and simple solution. (p50xts40gs)

Panny 50phd8 is a bit more of a flaff, as you say. Can be had for £3k with delivery, a wall mount and a terminal board. You'll still need speakers...they seemed to do speakers...av-sales have them as discontinued, very odd. If you've got the money add another £1k for an video processor then you'll have a scaler as well as a switch box :) apparently producing better pictures than the Fuji...£1k better ? ;)

I'm not interested in the pio...looks nice, has speakers and seperate media box but really isn't up there picture wise in my opinion.

So I've currently narrowed it down to the fuji...£3.7k for a TV is a blinkin lot of money :eek: but I'm going to have to do it...not worth spending £3k on a crud LG when an extra £700 will get you what you want...especially as I'll be keeping it for...oh...atleast 3 years before changing it :rotfl:

You can do a google search and find the Fuji model for around the £3k mark...I've checked with Fuji and the ones I found were UK spec etc..but the company hadn't sold plasma's before and was really only geared up to sell for corporates so a little nervous about the aftersales they would be able to offer me.

Then there's always the new 58 series Fuji that will be in the shops by June....:rotfl: but will probably cost £4.5k

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    nah about the same as othe Fujis and a 50PHD8 + scaler is = cost wise to the Fujitsu (no speakers tho but any old pair can be hooked up, how about in wall/ceiling for ultimate in discrete