1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A better `Piano` is already here?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by reefer, May 16, 2002.

1. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

With reference to the piano p/j, has anyone seen this> http://www.av-sales.com/projectors/html/plus_v-807_projector.html

More info at http://www.plus-vision.com/en/product/projector/v-807/feature.html

This new unit is already available from av-sales above & seems on spec to far exceed the preformance of the `piano` version which duly hasn`t hit these shores still yet.

The V-807 has a contrast ratio of 800:1, ansi lumens of 800 supports 16:9 ratio, accepts the all important YPbPr progressive scan standards, includes a DVI connector & scan convertor etc.

Surely this unit should perform excellently, especially with a prgressive scan dvd player.

Has anyone got one or seen it in action?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks good, nice price too.
    Shame it hasn't got a 16:9 panel, then it would be perfect.

3. EvilCartman

EvilCartman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks interesting. Lack of a zoom lens also a problem, for me - if I went for the most convenient location for the pj would end up with an 8 foot by 6 foot screen. Too big...

Unless I rethink my aversion to the concept of table-top use...

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Piano beater, don't know. This projector has a RBGW colour wheel, which gives a brighter image for presentations, but also has a detrimental effect on colours and worsenes the rainbow effect . It also doesn't have the scaler/deinterlacer the Piano has, so it wil work best with a htpc. Then again, it features horizontal keystone correction ("sideshot") and has a very short throw lens, so it could be nice for small HTs.

Have a look at this page (German):
    http://grobi.tv/scripts/index.cfm?FuseAction=Neuigkeiten.ShowDetails&ID=415

5. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    re the v-807

on the link above I posted for the features list, at the bottom it says;

" Hi-Vision Broadcast Compatible (720p, 1080i)

In addition to analog and digital RGB signals, these models are also compatible with digital Hi-Vision broadcasts. Users can now project a variety of content (using the DVI connector).

Equipped with Progressive Scan Converter for Improved Video Image Quality

A progressive scan converter is used for video signal processing, while the motion detection algorithm provides greater image vividness."

http://www.plus-vision.com/en/product/projector/v-807/spec.html

Isn`t progressive scan better than de-interlacing? If you have a progressive scan DVD player the conversion takes place digitally within the player before it leaves as progressive scan then going directly into the projector on the component inputs. From what I`ve read I thought this was the optimum?

You could always use an I-scan as well, not that its needed.

Churning over whether it`s gonna be better than a Panny PTAE100E

I have a CRT projector now fed up with (read as crap) & wide screen sony 16:9 tv but whats the big benifit with a 16:9 projector? DVD films are usually 2.35:1 ratio anyway.

What does the `supports 16:9` do anyway on the PLUS?

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Not a piano beater, just another competent powerpoint projector. There is allot more to HC projector than this. SIL SIL SIL.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    -The HDTV signals support is nice if you live in the US, but in Europe it's not much of a feature :(. Of course you can always use a HTPC to use the extra lines.

-My guess is that *all * digital projectors do have a progressive scan convertor on board, as they are physically unable to display interlaced signals. They motion detection algorithm is there to create a reasonably watchable picture. (Like the AE100). The quality of a decent de-interlacer like the iScan, is much higher, however. As the Piano essentially has an iScan on board (the same processor, anyway), you dan't have to buy extra hardware to get the same quality.

-A progressive scan player does deliver a fine image, but remember that a lot of PS players only support PS on Region 1 DVDs.

-The Piano, like V-807 has a DVI connector, which you can use to get an absolute razor sharp image. Unfortunately the resolution is restricted to 800x600 in the Piano. The 848:480 resolution is not available with DVI. the V-807 also support analog signals over it's DVI connector, which the Piano doesn't.

-The V-1080 looks better, as at 1024*768 it is able to support full PAL, but i suspect it will be quite a bit more expensive :(

-Some things are missing from the specs page, though. I would love to learn how much noise it makes, and how much light it leaks... And the page doesn't say if it can be ceiling mounted... it only says front/rear, table position. I really hope that's an omission ...

(I'm still going to buy that Piano :p )

8. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey.........I just had an E mail from Brian West at Plus.....he assures me the Piano will be available in UK by the end of this month and the site is being updated now and to keep an eye on it for details, It sounds like the one for me

9. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh and he also said the price would be ....Around £2100 mark.... hope this means it could be cheaper hey?

10. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Progressive scan is not available on most projectors and is a very valuable feature, not available on the Piano, along with the DVI.

On this site http://www.progressivescan.co.uk/ click the articles tab for an interesting read on the subject.

The piano has a lesser contrast ratio of 700:1 compared to 800:1 of the V-807. Also the Piano is only 450 ANSI lumens, the V-807 is nearly double that at 800 ANSI lumens. Its easy to knock & merit each projector accordingly. Not out to do that though.

Some dvd players are now emerging to output both PAL & NTSC progressive scan, namely latest batch Tosh 9000e`s with latest firmware. Don`t have PAL frame errors.

I`m not against the piano at all. Quite a few ppl here are stuck in a quandry over which to buy, myself included ;)

You pays your money & makes your choices as they say.....
    My lingering thought is: Is the piano worth that extra dosh? nearly twice the price of a panny....
    Decisions decisions.... year later 3 chip DLP`s are dirt cheap! LOL
    Sleep easy :D

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, if you mean PS inputs then you're right... the Piano doesn't have them. The image of all digital projectors is progressive though.

Quality-wise i think DVI (digital) will give the best image possible. When used with a HTPC it provides an all digital signal path from display to projector. It's a shame you can only use 800x600 with DVI on the piano.

The nice thing about the Piano is, however, that you can just connect your ordinary dvd player to it and enjoy a smashing picture. No tweaks, filters or gray screen needed at all. Furthermore there seem to be very few problems with it. I only heard of two cases of premature bulb failures, both the Plus customer service dealt with in a very customer frienly manner.

450 Lumens is bright enough in a blacked out room. I saw it on a 84" and the image appeard very bright and lifelike. If you can only partially darken the room then the Piano is not for you.

I must say i have never seen the Panny, so i can't comment on the quality. If you plan to use it with a HTPC, I think it should be a safe bet. If you plan to use a standard DVD player i'd go for the Piano. Be sure to see it before you buy though, because you'll never know if you're mega sensitive to rainbows (thankfully, i'm not).