A beginners guide to Steam ?

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Ok, I rarely use my PC for gaming (despite spending a fair few quid on an i5 system with a nice SSD a few years back) but have built up a small library on steam due to sales etc

Its only really used however for Company of Heroes and Football Manager

I have read bits in various threads about trading, cards, hats, selling, swapping etc but know nothing about any of this

Is there anyway I may be sat on a way of getting a few cheaper / "free" games etc ?

andiuk007

Banned
You don't need any trade cards or hats dunk lad, anything you're sitting on will be in your inventory, I stick them on steam market place as soon as I unlock something. Add me to steam if you fancy the odd game with some of the lads from here. :)

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
cheers, see straight away "inventory" and "unlock" go straight over my head

and I thought the continuing struggle for a new graphics card to try Battlefileld 4 in 1080p was bad enough (open to suggestions on that too)

andiuk007

Banned
look in the pic, the envelope in the red circle, that's where you'll find inventory.

52dGTF9.png

What are you willing to spend on a GPU pal? I'd say go for a 780, but all depends on what cash you have to spend. :)

andiuk007

Banned

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
funny enough, thats the one been looking for, was hunting out to see if any still doing a free game (ideally bf4) to at least allow me to have something to play too

andiuk007

Banned
Don't go for a card just because it has BF4 included, grip the right card and find BF4 at the right price mate. I paid £15 in the classifieds for mine, it'll be cheaper in the classifieds now, or about £22 I think from a cd key site.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
dont think its been mentioned, but dont forget you can buy games from key sites rather than steam, a huge saving to be had that way.

andiuk007

Banned
dont think its been mentioned, but dont forget you can buy games from key sites rather than steam, a huge saving to be had that way.
Look at my post above yours chop lad. ;)

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
You'll unlock things while playing games pal.

Lean towards the give side, I'd get this card, if you're looking to watercool, this card is a bad option.

Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Will 760 do battlefield on full detail at 1080 / 60 ?
Would I be better going for 770 ?

I'd love to water cool but not got system / budget / time to sort
However noise level of pc is an issue as in next room
It is current silent as I GPU

andiuk007

Banned
Will 760 do battlefield on full detail at 1080 / 60 ?
Would I be better going for 770 ?

I'd love to water cool but not got system / budget / time to sort
However noise level of pc is an issue as in next room
It is current silent as I GPU
If you're wanting to max BF4 and hold a solid 60FPS then a 770 would be better. Gigabyte X3 Windforce is what I would go if you want a quiet card.

drinkturps

May I add +1 for the GTX770 Windforce as that is what I bought and I can thoroughly recommend it. It's very quiet, pre-overclocked and can handle anything at 1080p that I've put it up against. Metro Last Light with everything maxed out, ohhhhhh yes.

If you're after a free (to play) game on Steam I would recommend Path of Exile. It's like Diablo 3 (and better IMO) but without the expense!

drinkturps

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
cheers

im still weighing up what to do, have PS4 and Xbox One (and have Watch Dogs on order for PS4 and have BF4 on Xbox One)

realistically only games I PC on tend to be the more basic, thinking type games

Last few on my steam list are

Company of Heroes (1st one) and all the expansions
All the Football Managers
Various Total War games up to the Napoleon one and the US one (whichever most recent)
then I have things like FTL etc

Probably the most graphics intensive game I have is the first Crysis

Part of me says spend £250 on a GPU but my head tells me it will be overkill
If I did scale down my purchase what would ensure I could get the best settings from say Company of Heroes 2 (probably only game on PC I interested in that cant get on other platform)

Last edited:

drinkturps

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Blimey. That's mad.
I'm thinking just now just something for the games I have. I don't think get money's worth out of one these state of art ones.

What would do me say original coh at full quality ? I've never finished it be nice to try again on full detail

andiuk007

Banned
Blimey. That's mad.
I'm thinking just now just something for the games I have. I don't think get money's worth out of one these state of art ones.

What would do me say original coh at full quality ? I've never finished it be nice to try again on full detail
Buy the best gpu you can afford dunk, you've had your pc for years, and are likely to have it for many more, you'll thank yourself down the line if you buy the best you can afford now. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone