1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a beginner needs help.....

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by simo98048, Apr 12, 2005.

1. simo98048

simo98048

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, im a beginner so sorry if my questions are bad!
    ive got a ford mk4 (97 P plate), with a 3000 cassette deck. This stereo system only has speakers at the front (a tweeter n normal speaker in each door) which are both factory. I would like to keep the present speakers (mybe replace them in the future) and would like to ADD some speakers at the back! how would i go about doing this? would i require an amp? what speakers should i use?. I want to keep the big casette head unit but if i have to, replace it with a new casette unit, can i keep the present ones? im on a tight budget though! Thanx for reading, pelase try n help me out!

2. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ive been away from the ICE game for a while....but....

You should pull out the unit if you can and see if there are available connections for rear speakers.

If not then perhaps you could locate the wires going to the door speakers and feed off them in parallel to some speakers for the rear.

Really though...if I was you I would try and pick up a cheap SONY CD headunit say off ebay for around £30 and then you will be able to wire up front and rears.

The Sony 6x9's in Argos - the standard ones sound okish really. I amped mine up with a V12 in few years back, everyone was amazed at the sound and were surprised to see what it was coming from.

Amping really just gives it more power, ie it can go louder without distorting to soon. Really to start with just get your amp to power your sub and rear speakers (when you get to the amping stages)

Hope that helps

3. simo98048

simo98048

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanx a lot!
    this is silly but.... how do i pull out the double din head unit?myabe in the future ill upgrade everything. but for now i jus wanna have some speakers in the back, not a sub. if there is available connections, or i split the wire going to the front speakers, will i have to use an amp for the back speakers? if i jus hook em up without an amp, will they still sound alrite? where should i get a new head unit from aswell (jus for future ref.!) help would be appreciated, thanx!!

4. Bev478

Bev478

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    To get the unit out it is easiest to get hold of special "DIN removal tools". (Although you can use homemade substitutes). They are available from Halfords & car audio dealers. Am looking to replace my Ford unit soon so have been looking up various things. Have to also get a fascia plate to cover the gap left 'cos of the over sized factory unit & wiring loom to attach head unit to cars wiring. Lots of info to be found on car audio retailers web sites. Sorry I can't help with the other stuff.

5. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As mentioned above to remove the din unit you need to get some removal tools, however if you visit your nearest ford dealer and go in and ask nicely they should do it there and then for you, which is what I had to do recently with my Pug 306.

Again the above is correct, with quite a few of the modern day motors you will need like a facia plate adapter when you come to upgrade your head unit. These are like a mould which fits into where the din unit came from and provides the correct space for one of the after market head units. These things are available from most audio shops, but halfords have them off the shelf, or they can order them in.

As regards to amping, it all depends on how loud you want your speakers to go! Though in my opinion amped up speakers with no (depending on the quality of the speakers) can sound pretty pants! My friend had some Infinity 6x9s amped up without a sub and they sounded very nice but he paid like £120 for them so you would expect them too!

It also depends what RMS, and MAX wattage output your factory unit outputs, if quite low then you wont be able to go very loud. On the after market head units most come to around 50Watts MAX and about 26Watts RMS, the RMS one is really the one you wanna consider (ie get the highest)

As regards to buying, buy MAX POWER magazine, in the back part of the mag many many retailers advertise all their products and deals. Halfords are usually a complete rip off compared to these, ideally you want to find a local ICE dealer and take in your copy of max power and say 'can you match this price', motor world will have a reasonable go.

If you go and buy max power though and watch the market for a bit you will see that prices and that can fluctuate greatly, and as the newer models are coming in older models are sold off very very cheaply.

On max power website I think there may also be some guides to installing head units etc if your looking for further info. Or just drop another reply on here if you have any more questions.

As regards to wiring off the front speaker cable, i'm pretty sure you will be ok doing this. I did it with my two subs and they worked nicely so...

Hope that helps