A basic TV stand build

IRobot

Couldn't find anything in the shops to exactly suit my needs so I thought I'd knock one up myself :rolleyes:.

Planning on buying a bigger plasma later this year so it had to be strong and I also wanted to hide away my sub.

So purchased some wood/furniture board from Wickes, sticky vinyl from eBay and tools (circular saw, clamps, framing square etc.).

DSC01268Medium_zps910796cd.jpg

DSC01270Medium_zpsc09d79c6.jpg

DSC01271Medium_zps056470e9.jpg

DSC01273Medium_zps4333a9b3.jpg

DSC01276Medium_zps606cd5e7.jpg

DSC01278Medium_zps04c004e2.jpg

DSC01279Medium_zps743a8ba8.jpg

DSC01282Medium_zpsada9c1a7.jpg

DSC01315Medium_zps26784341.jpg

Last edited:

stryertech

Standard Member
You've done a great job there mate, well done. I know what you mean about struggling to find the right unit to fit your own gear, I looked for ages and ended up stumbling on mine when I was looking for something unrelated , even then I had to get the jigsaw out,lol.

S D I

Banned
nice job, practical proportionate design, aesthetically pleasing and great finish.

A credit to you if you are a person and not a machine :)

Last edited:

IRobot

I've never used sticky vinyl before but it was easy to apply. I got bubbles on the first piece (under the base). I changed my technique and had no more problems.

I think it's a better finish than if I tried to paint it.

If I was doing it again, I would try not to overlap the vinyl as you can see that if you take a closer look. I would also sand down the filled screw holes better as the vinyl shows up every little blemish beneath it. You can't use it to hide shoddy workmanship :blush:.

It was fun building it. The circular saw was great at cutting straight and accurate, I feel like using it on something else now :devil:.

S D I

Banned
BTW. you use water with a tiny amount of soap to apply vinyl in case you didn't know.
A squeegee gets rid of any air bubbles.

xar

Nice! Was thinking of doing the same but would never look as good as that....

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom