A Bargain 20 LCD ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by ibrox, Jul 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi;

Was looking for a cheap LCD for a bedroom and stumbled upon the Beko
    20 LB450 which a few retailers were doing for £299 which is around 50% of the original price.

Went to buy the T.V in my local argos store which seemed better that carrying out a net transaction and said they had run out of the 450 but offered to give me the 330LB.

Having checked with Beko the 450 is going out of production to be replaced by the 330 and bought the 330 as seemed a good deal on the surface for a new model LCD T.V.

Maybe other members would be interested but there may be a shortage as my store only had 3 and one was a display model.

Hope this helps someone.

The T.V will not be set up till the mid of Aug due to room improvements so cannot comment on quality although to be honest I don`t suppose you can expect much from such a low quality brand name/price paid.

Suitable for the purpose intended I would expect.

Maybe someone has experience of the beko 20 LB range and can comment?

2. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What kind of connections does the TV have? Is it 4:3 or 16:9? What's the native res?

Ben

3. Simmo81

Simmo81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Anyone got any experience of the Beko 20LB330? THinking of getting one from Woolworths, can get discount there so can pick it up for £236, sounds cheap to me! Whats the differenc ebetween 330 & 450? ANy help much appreciated. Cheers.

4. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simmo/Ben Wong;

You`ll need to forgive me as I really do not much about T.V`s.

Anyway,I will try and supply answers as far as I can which is the extent of my knowledge.

Firslty,when I e-mailed Beko they told me the spec for the LB450 was the same as LB330.

Why they would have to change models in this event I`m not sure.?

On the price runner site it tells me the TV is 4:3 but you may want to check this elsewhere.

I will put down the spec as it listed on the T.V box;

20" TFT-LCD VGA Panel
    16.7 Million Colours
    640x 480 Resolution
    330cd/m2 Brightness
    350;1 Contrast Ratio
    Built-In Multi System Tuner
    2x3 W Stereo Sound
    Wide Viewing Angles(H:176o/V/V;176o
    250 Pages Teletext Memory
    Graphical based OSD(22 Languages)
    Low Energy Consumption
    Digital Comb Filter
    AVL,ATS
    Programmable On/Off Timer
    Graphical Equaliser
    Connections;Scarts (x2)
    A/V in,S-Video in,Audio Out
    Headphones,VGA(PC)

Perhaps someone can translate into laymans language.?

Cheers.

5. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm... that 20" screen has the same res as the 3.7" screen on my PDA..

It would be fine for use with normal standard broadcast TV, but if you want to connect a PC, or even play widescreen DVDs, it's less than enough.

Don't even think about attaching HD stuff to the screen..

Ben

6. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Benwong;

Thanks for info;

Is it the case the T.V will play DVD`s though?

Reason for asking is my son has a bundle of D.V .D s which he watches.

It is probable that some will be wide screen but in this event will it simply mean the quality is affected and how so ?

HD=?

Ta.

7. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    To show widescreen pictures on a 4:3 set you will need to set the menu on DVD player to 4:3. Similarly if you connect it to a Freeview box.

8. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mike;

Had this awful feeling had bought a T.V and my son would not be able to watch his DVD`s.

Wife would be calling me names like a stupid bar steward or something that sounds very similar to that !!.

9. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry ibrox for not making myself clear in the first place!! Didn't mean to scare you. :oops:

Here's a brief explaination;

When I said:

what I meant was the native resolution of your screen (640x480) is below the number of pixels needed to show DVD at it's best (720x480 i believe). This doesn't mean it won't play, it just means that the picture will be scaled to a lower resolution, meaning less that optimal picture quality when watching DVDs. But don't worry, it's will play ok, it's just the perfectionist in me! :smashin:

The screen doesn't have any PC connections, so connecting to a PC won't be possible.

:lesson:

HD = Hi Definition material. This has been defined as video (or games etc) that run at resolutions of 1280x720 (in progressive scan mode) or 1920x1080 (in interlacing and progressive scan mode). It is the future of broadcast tv and high capacity video discs alike; sky will be starting it's UK hi def broadcasting service next year. In essence, you will see roughly 4x the amount of detail as you normally do on broadcast tv.

These HD broadcasts require at the very least component ports that accept a digital signal, and the tv itself needs to have at least 1280x720 (square) pixels; but in order to earn the 'hd ready' logo, they also require a digital port of some sort (DVI with HDCP support, or an HDMI port).

Whether this is important to yourself is another matter; it's just one of my personal factors when looking at new LCD tvs! :thumbsup:

Ben

10. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ben for explanation.

Re-the DVD optimum quality.

Very much doubt it will be a factor and I certainly would not be aware of this and my son is not an electronics devotee so as long as he can watch DVD`s with a reasonable picture he will be happy.

Also the T.V will not be connected to a computer so that`s not an issue.

In fact I didn`t even know you could do this with any T.V or the purpose of doing so.

Pardon my ignorance.

Thanks also for explaining HD.

I expect by the time I get round to changing my main T.V the future TV will have changed again as I just bought my first 32" widescreen TV and all in one sound system around 2 years ago and Plasmas and LCD were just emerging and cost mega.

I had my old black Toshiba square 28" for about 9 years and was still going strong and actually gave away to one of my son`s friends who was moving to his first flat.

Given this background HD is unlikely to be relevant for me but it is good to know about these things.

Cheers for the education and I just hope the Beko works and does the basics to a reasonable standard for my son.

11. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you think about it, the LCD technology has borrowed from the PC world, and it kind of makes sense to make them compatible with PCs.. it's just to give another function for the high resolution screens that LCD tvs normally are.

A lot of people these days are pairing LCD tvs with what's known as a Home Theatre PCs (HTPC). These PCs are normally in a small case which may resemble HiFis, but will have the full functionality of a normal PC. These PCs are a further example of how two seemingly different technologies are being integrated. Of course, these PCs would have DVD drives, would have Freeview Cards installed, and would also be upgradeable in the future to accommodate HD DVDs or Blueray (which ever format one wins!!). In essence, the HTPC would replace the DVD player, Digital Set Top box, Hard Disk video recorder and eventually the HD DVD/Blueray player in your Home Theatre setup.

It sounds like you're screen is perfect for what you want it for, and I'm glad you're (so far) happy with it! :smashin:

Ben

12. Simmo81

Simmo81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just took the plunge on this LCD TV for my bedroom, TV/DVD/PS2, not bad for the price. Got it for £240 with staff discount. It does have a PC connection, hooked it up with my laptop, the TV comes with the lead for connection. But the resolution is way below standrad for this, and I hadnt really got it for this reason so it doesnt bother me. Quality for gaming/TV and DVD appears OK, nothing special but thats what you pay for with a price like that, so yes I am reasonably pleased with the TV after a couple of hours watching.

13. 1audiman

1audiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    been offered one from asda for 70 but no power,remote,leads just tv and stand is the lcd any good are xbox ,dvds aND tv alright with this tv or am i better to just walk away from it?