A/B Comparing Receivers DOs and DON'Ts? Just spent $2,600 compare Marantz vs Yamaha

Pianist718

Standard Member
So .... just purchased these 2 receivers to play around with,.
\

Marantz SR7005
vs
Yamaha RX-A2020

Since I don't feel like spending hours learning a unit I won't keep .... what are some basics and just how you would go about comparing these two? What setting and what procedure would you employ if you were comparing Receivers in your home?

any input is appreciated.
thanks

wayden

Hi Pianist718,
I will try to help a bit. My previous receiver was a Yamaha RX-V3067(European/A3000 (american). My current receiver is the Marantz SR7007.
Comparing really depends on your priorities. More film or more music?
Yamaha and Marantz use different room correction software. Yamaha uses its own YPAO and Marantz Audyssey.
Maybe compare these 2 calibration systems, how correct it is in measuring the size of your speakers, the distance etc.
Then play a scene from a movie that you are very familiar with using both receivers. They do same for music as well.
Try not to focus too much on the receiver but rather try to enjoy what you are hearing.

Both are good receivers and depending on your needs should be good.

Wayden

Pianist718

Standard Member
Hi Pianist718,
I will try to help a bit. My previous receiver was a Yamaha RX-V3067(European/A3000 (american). My current receiver is the Marantz SR7007.
Comparing really depends on your priorities. More film or more music?
Yamaha and Marantz use different room correction software. Yamaha uses its own YPAO and Marantz Audyssey.
Maybe compare these 2 calibration systems, how correct it is in measuring the size of your speakers, the distance etc.
Then play a scene from a movie that you are very familiar with using both receivers. They do same for music as well.
Try not to focus too much on the receiver but rather try to enjoy what you are hearing.

Both are good receivers and depending on your needs should be good.

Wayden

Thanks for the info. Yea, my movie of choice for comparing audio is Dark Knight, begining of it till Batman car rolls out to fight in a parking garage. Just listening to the sound of that car breaking through the barrier ... awesome. :) At some point, Denon 4311 that I tested sounded great and then I messed it up .... either way, didn't want to keep a $1,600 receiver. Hopefully Marantz will do great and all it'll cost me is around $800

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom