A-9010 phono stage - huge input capacitance

cs2008

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with the very high input capacitance (1000pF) of the Onkyo A-9010 phono stage ? I'm thinking about getting one of these amps, based on all the positive reviews, but it needs to work with vinyl.

Most MM cartridges require a load capacitance in the range 100 to 200pF, and usually 100pF of that is due to the phono cable. A typical MM cartridge has an impedance of around 600 ohms + 400mH, and a load of 1000pF would give a massive peak in the response at around 5kHz, so is totally unsuitable.

I've contacted Onkyo twice about this but got no response.

Onkyo A-9010 - Manual - Stereo Integrated Amplifier - HiFi Engine

in the service manual (you need to register to hifiengine to get access to it)
I read 1'000pF as input capacitor for phono stage.

hth

ps:
on my A-S1100 yamaha amp, I read 100pF for the input phono stage on the service manual that is always present there on hifiengine

Yes that's where I found out what the capacitance is.
It is clearly shown as being 1000pF (for C101 and 201).

I have been researching turntable cartridges and I was advised to find out the capacitance of the internal phono preamp on the Onkyo A-9010. I have the benefit of living in Japan and a spouse to help me with communications. I queried Onkyo directly and they refused to verify the capacitance. All they provided was 94 mV (1kHz 0.5 %). Now, I'm not that technical, and am teaching myself. A fellow from another board opined that 1000pF, if true, is huge design misstep. But nowhere on any boards other than this one, is there any question about this. So, what cartridges if any are compatible. Have people just opted for buying a separate phono preamp for their Onkyo A-9010?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom