1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A 5.1 Processor for Stereo Mixing Desk???

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by zen15676, Aug 7, 2005.

1. zen15676

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I have recently bought a Tannoy Surround Speaker system for by Home video/music studio (its was on sale & a bit of a rash purchase). The associated subwoofer contains all the implication for the relevant speaker channels. Currently my audio is all routed via a TEAC mixing desk that does not have a 5.1 output facility. What I would is some sort of 5.1 hardware processor (not a PC card) to take one of the stereo outputs from the mixing desk & provide the 6 channels of speaker output to the subwoofer. I see lots of AV amps but these all provide amplified speaker outputs which I don’t need given that the subwoofer has all the amps already.

All help welcomed.

2. tjobbins

Jan 1, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to achieve..

I understand that you need to provide an unamplified 5.1 input to your subwoofer. But what I don't understand is what your sources are.

In particular I am confused about: "..to take one of the stereo outputs from the mixing desk & provide the 6 channels of speaker output to the subwoofer." - you want to take a stereo signal and automatically convert it to 5.1? Are you saying therefore that all of your sources are just stereo, and what you want is to provide a 'virtual' surround from stereo sources?

Or is it the case that you have a true surround source - such as a Dolby or DTS compatible DVD player - as well as stereo sources? Or that you are creating your own 5.1 mixes from a variety of sources in your mixing desk?

Taking the former first - in this scenario what you are looking for is Dolby Pro-Logic or Dolby Pro-Logic II. These technologies take stereo sources and convert them up to 5.1 by 'guessing' where each sound in the stereo mix should appear in a surround format. It does a fairly good job, tho of course it can never compete with a true 5.1 source.

If you have a true 5.1 source such as a DVD player, then you can't route this via your mixing desk.

If you are creating your own 5.1 mixes in your mixing desk then you would not want to send them out of a single stereo output; you would want to send them out of three separate stereo channels. Otherwise you are down-mixing your 5.1 back to stereo!

The correct solution depends on all the things you're doing:
    1. If at any point you want to take a stereo signal and automatically convert it to 5.1, you need Dolby ProLogic or ProLogic 2. This will require a digital surround integrated amplifier or pre-amplifier
    2. If you want to take a 5.1 signal from a DVD player, you can either:
    a) run its 5.1 outputs straight into the 5.1 inputs on your Tannoy; but this means the DVD player could be the only thing plugged in
    b) run it into a surround amp as in point 1
    3. If you want to create your own 5.1 mixes, then this implies you can get 6 discrete mono signals out of your mixing desk; you can then route each of them to the corresponding input on your Tannoy.
    4. If you want to combine any of the above options, you need a surround amp or pre-amp. A decent amp will have many inputs: stereo analogue pairs, digital inputs (for DVD players), and a complete set of 5.1 inputs. One of these could support all of 1,2,3 above simultaneously; you would choose the input with your remote control.

A surround integrated amp will have amplified speaker outputs as you mentioned, but most will also have 'pre-out' outputs which are unamplified and can be fed to your Tannoy subwoofer amplifier. A surround pre-amp would have just the unamplified outputs, and no speaker outputs. Either of these will thus do what you want - namely take in multiple stereo or 5.1 sources, and route them out (unamplified) to your Tannoy amp. A pre-amp seems most appropriate given that you dont need amplification at this stage.

Let me know if that helps, and sorry if I've misunderstood your requirements.