1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A 2005 question about the right time to buy!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JulianL, Mar 20, 2005.

1. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After that wierd thread that appeared yesterday from 2002 with someone asking if it was the right time to buy, it suddenly occured to me that I actually have that question right now, and some thoughts on the matter, and would be very interested in peoples opinions, especially those of insiders (i.e. Panasonic dealers).

Here's my situation. I know what I want, i.e. a 7 series panasonic 42" panel in black (charcoal), which means that I need the 42PWD7 (not the 42PW7 which I understand is no longer being supplied by Panny anyway). I have a budget of £1,400 for this plus the JS Scart -> VGA converter which means, from what I've seen, that I can't get it for my budget right now. If I really had to have it today then I could revise my budget but I prefer not to.

What is keeping me out of the market for another few months is that I've seen some of the provisional listing of the new Panasonic HD models on web sites for pretty much the same money as the current Viera models are going for. It just seems to me that once this new stuff starts shipping that this will knock down the prices of the existing 7 series stuff. What do the insiders think? What do you expect to happen to the prices of the 42PWD panels over the next 6 months?

- Julian

P.S. The closest I can see to my budget right now is the AV sales offer of £1,514 delivered for panel + stand. If I could persuade them to unbundle the stand that I would guess that's very slightly over £1,400 for the panel alone. I only need about another 10% drop for it to fall within my budget. If anyone knows of a better offer then I'd be interested to hear about it.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    please wait 3 years for answers ;-)

3. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Julian: I was in a similar situation to you with the same requirements (42", black ...). I decided to get the 42PWD6 from Richer Sounds for £1099 + 2 years extra warranty for £110 (which I think is a bargain!). The differences between the 42PWD6 and 42PWD7 didn't warrant the difference in price for me, plus the PWD6 has the advantage of accepting component directly into the VGA socket which I understand has been disabled on the PWD7.

Hope that helps.

James

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you're right it has....and it's only when you don't have it that you realise how useful it would be!

5. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah. Thanks for the pointer to the Richer Sounds PWD6. I was aware of this offer. In fact this is one of the things that leads me to believe that in a few months, once the 6 series are well and truely sold out, that this is the sort of price point that the 7 series will end up at.

I suppose one can react to the data one of 2 ways, either as you have... why wait a few months for only a marginally improved specification when you can get something very good for a good price today, or else where I am right now... why not just wait 3 months and get the newer model for the same price. Of course the first relies on fact whereas the second relies on speculation.

The component via VGA isn't really an issue for me, I have nothing capable of outputing component so I will be feeding it via JS Scart -> VGA converter.

I'm going up to see my parents over easter so I can spend another 3 days messing with their 6 series panel, maybe that'll push me to make the PWD6 purchase. (Hmm... should I just go ahead and order the JS Tech converter tomorrow I wonder. It would be really interesting to take it up to my parents house and compare it with the Scart feed that my parents are using at the moment. Now there's a thought!)

- Julian

6. hotsnot

hotsnot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jwillans,

Are you connecting component directly to VGA on the 42PWD6 ?
    How do you find the signal and can you (or anyone else) recommend a decent cable that would do the trick ?

Cheers !

7. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi hotsnot,

Yes I am connecting from component to VGA and the picture is excellent. I bought a cable from here (RGB 3 Phono to 15 Pin HD VGA) although 10 meters is a little bit long for my needs.

James

8. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Julian, AV Sales sells PWD7 for £1395 now, a bit reduced. My PWD6 is ace and the 6 series has a more clever VGA input, it takes component direct, would save on a board.

Only a thought.