• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

9mm mdf tv mounting advice

jamez2010

Standard Member
i have put a stud wall up using MDF (9mm) and I am planning to put my tv up on it, do you think this will be strong enough, and also it has come with some self tapping screws (6off) they will be 5cm long, which goes through my wall and out the other side (not a happy wife) so i was planning to get some shorter ones but put more in does anyone think this will be ok? never wall mounted a tv, but with a puppy on the way felt it was a good idea.

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

jamez2010

Standard Member
Yes stud wall under the stairs I put a frame in and then used mdf to make the wall, seems to be fairly strong plan is to mount tv with bracket onto it

J-a-m-e-s_7

Established Member
Hi, fixing points will need to be into the studs not the 9mm mdf it will not support the weight. Add some noggins or extra timber where you plan to fix the bracket and use some good quality wood screws or coach screws. As long a your frame work is solid/strong it will be fine.

HTH
James

jamez2010

Standard Member
It was a gap under stairs, they go round at 90degrees, but I put a wall up, with a frame and mdf either side, plan was to put lots of screws into bracket, very nervous this won't hold now :( it's a 37" Samsung around 13kg I think then add bracket prob 1.5-2kg.

Could I mount bracket onto another mdf sheet which I screw in, will spreading the load help? Or is my best bet to brace it up behind?

larkone

Distinguished Member
Best to put some bracing behind and screw into that - for the sake of a couple of quids worth of timber why put your TV at risk. 9mm mdf is not thick enough to take much weight, 18mm would have been better but bracing is the best way to go.

Geps

Prominent Member
Scrap the MDF, completely if you need strength.

Had it asked before, I'd have recommended a minimum 50mm studwork frame, lined it with 18mm ply for strength and then covered in plasterboard so you can skim to match the rest of the walls.

Make sure the studs are fixed securely at the top (to I assume the stairs?). Long wood screws with about 50mm going into the stairs themselves - or whatever you're fixing to.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom