9Gb DVD-RAM

J

Jonny1973

I'm considering getting a DVD recorder to go along with my Sky+,

I see that Panasonic now do a 9Gb DVD-RAM disk, do you have to physically turn the disk over or is it like a dual layer disk????

D

DucatiEVO

I've got a few 9.4Gb discs, but my system (hs2) just treats them as 2x4Gb ones in a single case, and yes you have to turn them over.

Bit of a bummer as I assumed you could record a movie longer than 2 hours on one, but you can't without splitting the movie up into 4gb parts!

J

Jonny1973

Damn, I hate flippers!!!!

I might wait until dual layer recorders appear then.

nwgarratt

Just get a Hard Disk model otherwise you will have a very long wait for a dual layer recorder.

My Panasonic HS2 can do 8 - 52 hours (40GB). The E100 (80GB) doubles that and the coming soon E95 (160GB)will make it four times more capacity than the HS2.

You won't need much RAM after that.

J

Jonny1973

Originally posted by nwgarratt
Just get a Hard Disk model otherwise you will have a very long wait for a dual layer recorder.

Sony are about to launch a dual-layer writer for a PC which uses Verbatim dual-layer dvd-r.

Consumer DVD recorders should follow.

nwgarratt

Sony are about to launch a dual-layer writer for a PC which uses Verbatim dual-layer dvd-r.

Actually it uses Dual Layer +R (2.4x) ;)

As well as burners from Ricoh (+R), Pioneer (-R) etc.

However, I bet TV Dual Layer DVD recorders will be at least a year away and then they will be ridicolously expensive for another year or so.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom