Quantcast

9core data cable

The Welshman

Novice Member
Hi there,

I’m new to this forum and also fairly new to doing AV work for myself at home. I’d appreciate any help with the following...

I'm looking to extend HDMI over Ethernet at home to multiple TV’s from a Sky HD box. Maximum run would be around 30m. Looking to do one TV in the first instance, and then replicate as funds allow.

House already has a data cable to the first TV location which is great but, it’s 3 x twisted pair in foil, and then 3 single cores without foil. Image attached

Can I use this cable for HDMI signals with IR? If yes, which cores should be used for data/IR etc, or won’t it matter?

Any time you can spend helping with this would be appreciated!

Attachments

mushii

That cable is not data cable, it is security / comms / control cable. It is designed for RS233 signalling and 3 cores for telecoms. Unfortunately it will not support what you wish to use it for. You would really need to run additional Cat 6 or Cat 6a if you wish to do HDBaseT or HDMI over IP. You will probably need a budget between £2k -4K for the equipment that you will need. It would be more cost effective and easier to take out a subscription for SkyQ and just add mini boxes.

mushii

I am more than happy to help if I can. You may need to learn some fundamentals of HDMI and Cat X cabling though if you wish to DIY.

The Welshman

Novice Member
That cable is not data cable, it is security / comms / control cable. It is designed for RS233 signalling and 3 cores for telecoms. Unfortunately it will not support what you wish to use it for. You would really need to run additional Cat 6 or Cat 6a if you wish to do HDBaseT or HDMI over IP. You will probably need a budget between £2k -4K for the equipment that you will need. It would be more cost effective and easier to take out a subscription for SkyQ and just add mini boxes.
That’s a shame. I thought only two pair were used for data transfer. It would’ve saved some time and effort. Thanks for the offer of help but I should be fine - if the existing cable is not of use then I’ll run Cat 6 instead. Cheers!

mushii

2 pairs of CATx are used for 100Mbps speeds. For Gigabit and beyond, which is what you will require all 4 pairs are required.
Centrally distributed AV is not very popular any more, due to rising cost of distribution equipment and falling cost of source equipment.There is little point in buying and building 1080p systems now that 4K is truly here. The cost of distributing 4K to 4 TVs is well over £2k and probably closer to £4k. At those prices it doesn’t make sense as the cost of local sources is likely to be 25% of that. Modern streaming devices are the cheapest that they have ever been.

The Welshman

Novice Member
I can’t use Sky Q here. It’d be great for 2/3 TVs but I have 6 to go to, eventually. Thanks for responding though. Appreciate the advice.

The Welshman

Novice Member
A quick check online suggests I can get 4K HDMI extenders for around £100-£140 - what kit did you have in mind?

mushii

An extender will only allow one source to connect to one sink (output). To connect to multiple sink’s you would need a matrix or switch, which is where it gets expensive.

The Welshman

Novice Member
True. Luckily, it’s just one satellite box I’m connecting to, so just one HDMI splitter and n extenders and I should be sorted.

Really appreciate your time on this