1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9986 - when should I use Pixel Plus 2

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by wuf810, Feb 21, 2005.

1. wuf810

wuf810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just after some advice about when to use the various Digital Option Settings of Progressive Scan, Movie Plus and Pixel Plus 2 with a 37PF9986.

I have a Sky + box feeding the TV and I've found that progressive scan gives the best image. If this is the case generally why have Pixel Plus 2 etc

Is there anyone that can provide me with an explanation for each of the settings and its optimum usage.

Thanks again, Michael.

2. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot is down to personal taste - Pixel Plus generally comes into its own (at least some of us think so) when watching "video based" material - most studio based TV programmes for instance. For movies, often the softer Prog Scan it more appropriate for a "filmic" look. Having said that some folk just love the "Pixel Plus look" applied to movies (it can, for some, give an almost "3D look) - some folk love it, others (myself included) use it where I feel it suits the material. Another option (when watching via Scart) is Movie Plus, which gives most of the "added clarity" of PP2, but without some of the occasional side effects (certain complex backgounds can appear to have a "shimmer" or "judder"). So it is best to try all the options on all your viewing sources and see what works for you.

3. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    On the PP2 thoughts, when im watching a dvd through componant and the adapter set, it will only give me the option for PP2 or progressive, the movie option is'nt there? Only when watching sky or playing xbox? Im sure its obvious, just not to me!!

4. wuf810

wuf810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan, Thanks for the reply. It helps a lot as now I feel I don't have to use PP2 just because its there!!

Regards, Michael.

5. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, you're right it is only PP2 or ProgScan when through the DVI/component input, but I believe PP2 works at a reduced level (at a guess more like Movie Plus) - mainly due to the fact that a component picture needs less processing, so there are less options.