1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9986 supplier probs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Hunterm8, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Hunterm8

Hunterm8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello

i had a buzzy 9986 which i managed to exchange now my new one is the same and only a firmware v2.0 they are not willing to exchange again and all they will do for me is phone philips.. do i have any options?

2. Winnie Pooh

Winnie Pooh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a matter of fact your first Philips had its deficiencies like unacceptable buzzing which is bad for your ears but with the latest software version. Therefore they have exchanged your first one with the second one. Now the new one has the same problem again maybe the buzzing is even louder. The software version is not up to date with version 2.1 which is the latest and remedies some unspecific problems with the DVI-D input and correct maybe some other unpublished software bugs as firmware upgrades always do. What they have done they have replaced your defective one with an another defective one which is even more worse than the first one. Period.

If they don’t want to exchange it again they have finally failed to deliver you an error free Philips 32PF9986 as advertised which you have intentionally bought in the first place. Furthermore it is absolutely unacceptable to wait a couple of weeks for a silly firmware upgrade sending this big screen to Philips and than back again. It won’t get any better by doing this. The opposite is the case. Sending these devices back and forth puts additional mechanical stress on them which will not extend their lifetime. Another aspect of this is that Philips has not specified this buzzing of contrast and ambilight clearly in their advertising as an unavoidable feature with which you have to live with in case of purchase. If they act in a silly manner they should be confronted with the fact that this whole buzzing thing is obviously due to the lack of quality control and might have something to do with deceitful advertising.

I would say all the serious arguments are on your side. If your dealer is not willing to cooperate with you in an acceptable manner ask for the immediate refund of the full price of your purchase. If your supplier remains unreasonable you may have to go to a solicitor and put everything in writing. The situation is really unfortunate for a couple of Philips clients but I can’t see any other options. :lesson:

3. simonn5

simonn5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hunterm8,

You are within your legal rights to reject the replacement if it is faulty under the Sale of Goods Act (goods must be fit for purpose and comply with any advertised description).

Make sure you put everything in writing to the supplier (don't just rely on phone calls). Make it clear that you are rejecting the set because its faulty and the reasons why.

If you bought the set on a credit card contact the card company and inform them that you are in dispute with the supplier. They should then put the payment you made to the supplier in suspense (the supplier will have the money deducted from its trading account with the card company) pending resolution of the dispute which will put pressure on the supplier to see sense. Also if you bought on a credit card in most cases you can claim against the card company under the Consumer Credit Act.

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This whole buzzing Philips thing is driving me nuts!...and mine is OK. This is such a good TV and Philips have managed to sabotage their own sales by producing late version TV's that buzz! The Ambilight buzz isn't the problem, it's this blessed Contrast adjustment module that's the culprit. Damn them!

Anyway HunterM8, go for the jugular as WinniePooh suggested. This TV is not of marketable quality and needs to be replaced. The weird v2.0 firmware is a bit of a puzzle, as I thought that all the marketed sets had origionally the v1.3 then the v2.1 firmware. I wonder if this set is one of the famous 'returned to Philips for an upgrade' units which has been re-boxed after its origional owner got fed up waiting!

Trading standards would be very interested to hear from you if your retailer shows any signs of refusing to replace it.

Jimmy

5. simonn5

simonn5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimmy glad to see we are in agreement about something at last! :D

Hunterm8, before you get onto Trading Standards make sure you put in writing to the supplier that you are formally rejecting the screen and copy the letter/email to your credit card company (if applicable).

The key thing you need to quote is that the goods are not fit for purpose under the Sale of Goods Act (BTW there is no concept of marketable quality under English law).

PM me if you need further help

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Oh Yeah...the cable thread!

In this particular case, I bow to your definite superior knowledge!

I am sometimes stunned by how tolerant people are when it comes to situations like this. His supplier, whoever they are, seem to think that by going to the trouble of changing Hunters set once, absolves them from taking any further action to satisfy their customer. Passing the buck onto Philips is wrong. This problem remains the resposibility of the retailer.

Hunter, Simon is in a position to advise you properly on this if you are struggling to get the result you want.

It might be an idea to keep this partially public in order to help anybody else in a similar situation with a recalcitrant supplier.

Jimmy

7. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    OK, no one seems to have asked the question yet...so here goes..

Who is the supplier in question ???

It seems that there are a few suppliers that people have bought this TV off that are very good at sorting out there problems (JL and Empire Direct seem to spring to mind) and haven't just fobbed them off with the "We'll send it back to Philips" line.

HunterM8 if you feel comfortable doing so, would you say who the supplier is ??

Cheers

Gaz