1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9986 - problems with 720p

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Digitised, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hey all,

Using a DVI lead, ive been able to connect my PC, and my new DVD player to my 9986(v2.4).
    The PC ran a resolution of 1024x768 and under, perfectly.
    And the DVD displays 576p perfectly.

But when i use the PC or the DVD to display 720p, i am faced with green noise. Very! bright green pixels outline random edges, and flaw what looks to be a stable image.

Has anyone else had this problem??

My dvd player is a cambridge audio DVD79,
    and my PC is a 3.4ghz, 1.5gb DDR, ram GF6800 (more than able to handle HD images)
    Both are connected by a new DVI-I lead (£25 - bought online, no idea what brand it is)

2. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Digitised,

There are a few posts on the forums with reference to similar problems over DVI on the 9986. My screen displayed 720p and 1024x768 perfectly but with any other resolution I was getting green noise particularly visible on flesh tones.

The dealer contacted philips who agreed to replace the unit. The new unit had no such problems over the DVI input.

Obviously we can't be sure that the problems are exactly the same but they at least seem similar.

I hope this is of some help.

Tir

3. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks very much this sounds exactly the same as my problem.

Im quite disapointed with my set since i only recently had the firmware update installed. I was assuming everything would now be ok, obviously there is some possible flaw or lockout for HD with the 1st batch (1.3 firmware)

The picture in 576p is amazing but this is only what ill be watching until 06 when all the HD arrives and i will be going into 720p as much as possible.
    The other thing is that annoying scaling issue whereby we get stuck with borders and no option to scale to full screen.

I will definately be asking philips for a replacement, and i will try to convince them to upgrade me to the 9380 (since my TV will have to be replaced). The 9830 allows a scalable 720p image from what ive seen.

I spent £3k on this tv (october 04) and i expect to get 720p on an advertised 32'' product.

4. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    philips upgraded your firmware , did you go through the retailer or did philips do it direct , everytime ive tried to get philips to do something directly they have refered me back to the retailer without exception

cheers

5. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well i work @ john lewis, but when i called thw standard customer care line i was told to sort it out with my company. My colleague on audio and tv contacted them and gave me a number for their repair/tech support department called 'touch' (or similar).

From then on i was dealing with them, but for the strangest reason i cannot find this number anywhere. I will ring tomorrow from work and try to get hold of it again.

Philips are very confused with their own service, its probably to make returns/faults as hard as possible to resolve. But you have to get your retailer to make the call on your behalf. I couldnt get anywhere even proclaiming that i was employed by the people i made my purchase from.

Very strange.